IGNORED

Two Switch Systems and one shared cart - save system question

King_Salamon

I thought I would ask on here but I may need to hit up Nintendoage perhaps as they are THE Nintendo forum after all.

Anyway, if you have two Switch systems and want to share a cart like Zelda, does it save your progress to the cart or to the memory on the particular Switch? (Perhaps tied to your user name on the Switch) I'd hate to lose my progress because my son took the cart and accidently wiped out my game. Normally, we wouldn't play the same game but Zelda is a long one and my son is well on his way so this cart will get swapped back and forth.

In the mean time, I have a WiiU that has been collecting dust that I get to mess around with... time to play some Xenoblade. :)

So my save file is never in jeopardy when my son is playing on his switch and I'm playing on mine? I like it!!

The fact that game saves are not tied to the cart is a bonus!

Not that I needed much more convincing to get a Switch but this news helps... don't need to drop another $80 for a second cart.

Ok... follow up question... for something like Mario Kart... if I log into his switch with my account and play multi-player, does it keep my stats on my account for when I log into my account on my switch later? (Not sure if I'm clear.. I hope so) It's like the Nintendo accounts are stored on the 'cloud' then?

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know about the two-Switch question. I think the saves are stored locally on the system, and they don't expect you to sign into multiple machines.

Nintendo Accounts are stored in the cloud --coins and stuff, possibly friend lists too.

Why not sign into yours and have your kid sign into his? Radical idea I know

Yes I suppose I could check into that.. like I said, I haven't done much with the system myself but watching him play it and having a great time has got me itchin' to get into the game!

This will be for another day... lol. I'll sign in but then my son may never see his switch again! lol

Ok... follow up question... for something like Mario Kart... if I log into his switch with my account and play multi-player, does it keep my stats on my account for when I log into my account on my switch later? (Not sure if I'm clear.. I hope so) It's like the Nintendo accounts are stored on the 'cloud' then?

I am not sure on this one. Trophy information and other offline stats will not be shared between saves. I have no idea if your VR statistics are stored online or local only but I doubt it is stored on a server somewhere. I don't think Nintendo has any type of "cloud" infrastructure yet, so you might notice that two consoles logged in to the same Nintendo ID will have completely separate statistics and save data even for the same physical cart.

Where it gets sketchy is downloadable software titles. You can log into a new Switch with your Nintendo user account and access the shop and redownload any titles but currently your save data cannot be transferred between systems. This may or may not be possible with a future update. I would love to see Nintendo implement cloud backup but don't hold your breath.

Nintendo pretty much has a policy of one console per user account, so if you log into a new console and redownload software, you may find your downloads on the old one get locked out when it goes online. I do not own multiple units but my understanding is you cannot have multiple consoles simultaneously logged in. PSN allows up to five consoles per user; I have no idea what XBL policy is.

Yes... PSN has multiple systems allowed which is pretty cool. I want to get a second system... likely a Pro for the game room and the original can stay in my office.

I'd like my own switch but downloading stuff twice is fine as long as I don't have to pay for it twice... but I don't think that;s the case. Pretty sure if I had 2 3DS systems I'd have to pay for virtual console twice to have it on both.

Still... I feel the gravitational pull towards getting a switch of my own. My wife is even encouraging me to get one for myself... I would pick up puyo puyo Tetris for her though... lol I heard you can play regular Tetris on it so that's all she wants... she doesn't play much else..

Yes... PSN has multiple systems allowed which is pretty cool. I want to get a second system... likely a Pro for the game room and the original can stay in my office.

I'd like my own switch but downloading stuff twice is fine as long as I don't have to pay for it twice... but I don't think that;s the case. Pretty sure if I had 2 3DS systems I'd have to pay for virtual console twice to have it on both.

Still... I feel the gravitational pull towards getting a switch of my own. My wife is even encouraging me to get one for myself... I would pick up puyo puyo Tetris for her though... lol I heard you can play regular Tetris on it so that's all she wants... she doesn't play much else..

I don't think you will be disappointed. Stick having the digital downloads on one system only (preferably yours) and use physical copies for any shared gameplay. If you were by yourself you could just get a spare dock and move the unit around the house but my understanding is you and the kids want to play different stuff simultaneously which isn't an issue for physical cards.

I know for a fact saves are system tied currently and nothing announced to change that.

NOA is being dodgy about cloud saves. If this is part of the paid service to come (probably) then you could log-in and carry a save between boxes. You can fire up accounts on multiple boxes, download games eshop bound too and use them while logged in, but again, save data is grounded to where you started it.