IGNORED

Wiztronics issue any help

panama800

I installed this on my 800 xl all I got was a blank screen. So I removed it, still would not come on. Only a yellow screen. So I remember reading about this issues a it being a bad PIA chip. So I took one out on a parts 600xl an installed on my 800xl an now it works fine again. Do you have any idea what my have gone wrong. I did have a hell of a time trying to soldier the lead to the PIA chip with a crap iron. So I went an bought a new one. I wonder if trying to get the soldier to stick to the old chip I may have damage the chip.

Are they any PIA chips still available? I purchased the kit from Best. ot trying to slam , just letting everyone know so they may e able to help if I am missing something?

I installed this on my 800 xl all I got was a blank screen. So I removed it, still would not come on. Only a yellow screen. So I remember reading about this issues a it being a bad PIA chip. So I took one out on a parts 600xl an installed on my 800xl an now it works fine again. Do you have any idea what my have gone wrong. I did have a hell of a time trying to soldier the lead to the PIA chip with a crap iron. So I went an bought a new one. I wonder if trying to get the soldier to stick to the old chip I may have damage the chip.

Are they any PIA chips still available? I purchased the kit from Best. ot trying to slam , just letting everyone know so they may e able to help if I am missing something?

I had one of the Best wizztronics boards. It's a remake IIRC. I had an older ANTIC so I had to desolder the filled holes and install the 3 extra ICs. There was a trace that needed cutting and a wire to add. I don't remember the details.

Anyway, my point is this. Did you confirm which Antic you have in your 800XL?

Edited by a8isa1

PIA replacement number is 68b21 and there are plenty on eBay

as well as Jameco, mouser and others. 6821 should not be

purchased as it's missing the 2 MHz denotation letter of b

in the middle of it. 68a21 is then to be avoided as well.

Single and double wipe socket describe the low end versions

of IC sockets in use. If there are two metal contact

surfaces then it's a double wipe, double being better than

single. Trailer house lifestyle sort of a thing at single,

they do work and are the cheapest. Double slightly better

with machine sockets being the penthouse.

Your old PIA might be in need of cleaning of flux from

solder attempts although excessive heat can ruin them,

they are usually quite stout. Only exception I know of

is older PIA found in 800 machines where I needed two

out of three replaced outright.

Well Update

I got the upgrade installed today. I was missing the jumper wire on the board, duh. I did screw up my PIA chip the first time I tried to install chip do to excessive heat trying to solder wires. So what i did was order some blank sockets from ebay an use it to solder too. Then insert it into the open socket on the board. Then I plug in my new PIA chip into it. So I did not have to bend the prongs or solder to my chip.

I used this

s-l1600.jpg