IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

It's official: http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Looks neat. I can't wait to not be able to buy one of these, too.

Word is from Nintendo that they'll produce these from September 29 until the end of 2017. After that, no promises. They also said they'll "produce more" of these than the NES Mini. Which still won't matter a turd as people will hoover these things up, too. Game list is good at least:

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Donkey Kong Country

EarthBound

Final Fantasy III

F-ZERO

Kirby Super Star

Kirby’s Dream Course

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Super Punch-Out!!

Yoshi’s Island

Like I said, it looks cool, but I'm not going to fight to get one. The NES Mini was frustrating enough. If I can find one, cool. If I can't, fine. I'll just get a RasPi with a SNES case.

• Like 2

I saw an article about this earlier today. While the NES mini didn't appeal to me, this one does.

The game list is excellent. Other than F-Zero which has never been anything other than a glorified tech demo, there is no chaff whatsoever. They even managed to avoid using Pilotwings, which you know pained them to leave that gack off.

Someone even resisted the urge for the millionth release of Final Fantasy II, instead going with far superior Final Fantasy III. AND Earthbound AND Super Mario RPG!

They even decided to admit Starfox 1 exists. And holee shit! Starfox 2! Has Nintendo decided they want my money?

I may niggle a bit about the game list. The lack of Mortal Kombat II is a pretty big deal, as is the MIA status of Killer Instinct, but I understand the licensing snarl behind those. The lack of traditional shumps is noticable, but I really can't think of one above others they should have included. The only inexcusable thing is the total lack of a brawler. Capcom seriously didn't want to whore out Final Fight 2 or 3?

But, like I said, those are just nits. This game list hits the iconics much better than the NES one did (and the NES didn't do a bad job). I think I'll have to hunt one of these things down.

• Like 1

Was StarFox 2 even released commercially?

Nope! This is the first official, public release.

They even decided to admit Starfox 1 exists. And holee shit! Starfox 2! Has Nintendo decided they want my money?

I may niggle a bit about the game list. The lack of Mortal Kombat II is a pretty big deal, as is the MIA status of Killer Instinct, but I understand the licensing snarl behind those. The lack of traditional shumps is noticable, but I really can't think of one above others they should have included. The only inexcusable thing is the total lack of a brawler. Capcom seriously didn't want to whore out Final Fight 2 or 3?

If you really want a 16-bit console Mortal Kombat, the Sega Genesis Flashback will be releasing around the same time for a similar price, and it has a cartridge slot, wireless controllers, AND all 3 Genesis Mortal Kombat games. Not a selling point for me, but some people are obviously into it. This is new hardware, not the same stuff AtGames has been selling for a while now.

What's the retail price on this?

I hope this goes down well and doesn't cause the same shitstorm that the NES mini has caused ,which left many an angry Nintendo fan stressing left and right ,trying to find one,and embroiled in pure drama. LOL Please save me from the corniness of future videogame arguments!

That being said,learning from past mistakes,and if it feels right I might as well preorder one soon. Just in case.

What's the retail price on this?

$80, and you get 21 games -- the 21st is Star Fox 2 unlocked after clearing stage1 of Star Fox. You get TWO controllers in the box, and they have 5ft cords.

Breaking down the price of the $8(virtual console) roms each vs the $5(ea on NES) the price is averaging out on par with last years torment. So while there are less games, the value is the same, and no trying to find the unicorn 2nd controller either.

And they better damn well have learned their lesson. I've been slightest twice trying to get the NES one for my kid which took it's entire retail life span in store, and waiting a good year for amiibo too before that. It happens again I'm going to be very tempted to be an exclusively USED game buyer for them as I can't reward intentionally crappy behavior and if they want to behave in a way that says they don't want my money, they won't get it.

I can't wait to not be able to buy one of these, too.

Im not, cant even bother to waste a single crap after the last machines shenanigans

doesn't help that I honestly dont care all that much about the SNES, much more lub for the 8 bitter

Edited by Osgeld

I'm only interested in what Star Fox 2 rom they've got stashed in there. It's my understanding the one commonly used for repro carts is some patched together deal based on a mostly complete version. It'll be interesting to see if they use the one that was fan translated/patched. Or if they've got an actual legit final build.

I can't wait to never find this thing in stores. It's going to be a real treat. I can't wait to talk to store employees who tell me they don't have any in stock, knowing full well they have a few stashed in the back for themselves.

In all my years I've never seen the announcement of a product generate so much anger and ill will towards a company. Feelings are still very raw over Nintendo's handling of the NES Mini. There are a ton of negative comments on Nintendo's social media pages. On top of that there's a Switch shortage going on. I honestly believe that Nintendo will sell every SNES MIni unit they make, all 12 of them, but I also feel you can only screw over your loyal customers so much before they throw up their hands and walk away.

I have a few friends whose kids work at places like Walmart and Toys R Us. These kids openly told me the store employees took all the NES Mini consoles and made sure that none of them got to the sales floor. It was a scalper's dream come true.

post-27032-0-12372800-1498535295.jpg

Saw this on ebay earlier today.

• Like 2

I can't wait to never find this thing in stores. It's going to be a real treat. I can't wait to talk to store employees who tell me they don't have any in stock, knowing full well they have a few stashed in the back for themselves.

In all my years I've never seen the announcement of a product generate so much anger and ill will towards a company. Feelings are still very raw over Nintendo's handling of the NES Mini. There are a ton of negative comments on Nintendo's social media pages. On top of that there's a Switch shortage going on. I honestly believe that Nintendo will sell every SNES MIni unit they make, all 12 of them, but I also feel you can only screw over your loyal customers so much before they throw up their hands and walk away.

People will bitch and moan, but still go stand in line in the wee hours of the morning like saps, lesson not learned. Really can't blame Nintendo this time around.

Edited by keepdreamin

People will bitch and moan, but still go stand in line in the wee hours of the morning like saps, lesson not learned. Really can't blame Nintendo this time around.

Of course. most Nintendo fans are just going to bend over and take it. However I'm sure they'll be some who say no and will refuse to play the game. I'm going to do my part by trying to help my friends and family get one without having to jump through hoops. I'm always in the stores.

Honestly, the best alternative would be to simply build or buy a Raspberry Pi mini console.

• Like 1

Just go on release day like I did, unless they actually do preorders this time.

I live in a small town, with no real stores nearby to go to. Plus I work all day, so heading out on release day probably won't happen for me, personally.

$80, and you get 21 games -- the 21st is Star Fox 2 unlocked after clearing stage1 of Star Fox. You get TWO controllers in the box, and they have 5ft cords.

Breaking down the price of the $8(virtual console) roms each vs the $5(ea on NES) the price is averaging out on par with last years torment. So while there are less games, the value is the same, and no trying to find the unicorn 2nd controller either.

And they better damn well have learned their lesson. I've been slightest twice trying to get the NES one for my kid which took it's entire retail life span in store, and waiting a good year for amiibo too before that. It happens again I'm going to be very tempted to be an exclusively USED game buyer for them as I can't reward intentionally crappy behavior and if they want to behave in a way that says they don't want my money, they won't get it.

But at the same time, I feel like the shortage was intentional the entire time. It was a marketing ploy for Nintendo, and I feel like this machine is as well. They might make some money, but ultimately I don't see it as a huge money-maker. Especially with the announcement that it's only going to sell until the end of 2017. It's a hype-machine.

Of course. most Nintendo fans are just going to bend over and take it. However I'm sure they'll be some who say no and will refuse to play the game. I'm going to do my part by trying to help my friends and family get one without having to jump through hoops. I'm always in the stores.

Honestly, the best alternative would be to simply build or buy a Raspberry Pi mini console.

To be fair, fans are constantly getting screwed by game companies and yet they always go back. Nintendo is hardly the only people who do it.

I'm thinking if I can't (easily) get my hands on this one, I'll build a RasPi. Only thing I wish for is being able to find a case as nice as the one on the SNES Mini.

That's me, on both counts. I'm probably good for several SNES sales if I can get my hands on them. If not, I'll find other things to spend my money on.

Maybe so, but there are ways to teach Nintendo a lesson. Don't buy their stuff anymore or at least don't buy it first hand so they make a dime off your budget. If they can't respect consumers enough not to make them victims to subhuman garbage who take advantage of others, then people shouldn't pay Nintendo either for the stuff they can find at stores. I'm strongly considering if I can not get the thing to buy second hand going forward. They're not the only game maker on the planet.

TPA5 undoubtedly it's a hype machine. I'm just curious to see how much their promised boost of production lasts, and they dangle the carrot already of a 2018 extension depending on how things go. I would put it better than 50/50 odds they'd run more of them in shorter supply into 2018 as far as the NES did this year. They'll be happy to have angry consumers and leaving money on the table for sure as they want a 100% sell through, but I think they'd like to make more than last go around too.

TPA5 undoubtedly it's a hype machine. I'm just curious to see how much their promised boost of production lasts, and they dangle the carrot already of a 2018 extension depending on how things go. I would put it better than 50/50 odds they'd run more of them in shorter supply into 2018 as far as the NES did this year. They'll be happy to have angry consumers and leaving money on the table for sure as they want a 100% sell through, but I think they'd like to make more than last go around too.

I realize that trying to apply logic to Nintendo is a fool's errand, but there is something that needs to be considered: The Switch is doing well. Very well, in fact. But it is not, by any means, a slam-dunk. There's still a chance it could tank after its first year. It makes sense for Nintendo to have something else to prop itself up. Nintendo is a very conservative company, and even in the face of the huge popularity of the Switch, I think their board will want something else as a fallback, at least for this year.

I'm thinking if I can't (easily) get my hands on this one, I'll build a RasPi. Only thing I wish for is being able to find a case as nice as the one on the SNES Mini.

Personally, I think the North American SNES is butt-ugly, but I understand people are nostalgic for it. I like the European one better.

You could always get a sticker sheet for the official Pi case.

post-2410-0-36235600-1498575128.pngpost-2410-0-19484100-1498575136.png

• Like 1

Personally, I think the North American SNES is butt-ugly, but I understand people are nostalgic for it. I like the European one better.

You could always get a sticker sheet for the official Pi case.

That's pretty cool, actually! It's not quite the SNES Mini case, but it's pretty damn close. I'd just have to trust my shaky hands to carefully cut out the decals, but for $3 I could order a few.

The North American SNES is ugly, without a doubt. But it's ugly in a way that appeals to me. But that's probably because I grew up with them around me, so it seems normal.

I wonder how many units Nintendo would have to produce to meet demand and have them on store shelves (as opposed to selling out within minutes). 1 million? 2 million? 5 million? How many people actually want one of these things? Nintendo, as stated earlier in this thread, is (like most Japanese companies) pretty conservative. While it seems crazy to me that they're okay leaving money on the table, after all they could have milked the NES Mini for another 6-12 months, I guess they'd rather sell all the stock.

It's still cool, and regardless of whether or not I think Nintendo boon-doggled the NES Mini, I like the actual product.

I realize that trying to apply logic to Nintendo is a fool's errand, but there is something that needs to be considered: The Switch is doing well. Very well, in fact. But it is not, by any means, a slam-dunk. There's still a chance it could tank after its first year. It makes sense for Nintendo to have something else to prop itself up. Nintendo is a very conservative company, and even in the face of the huge popularity of the Switch, I think their board will want something else as a fallback, at least for this year.

Damn right about that. The WiiU despite the overproduction leaving many on the shelf, early on if you didn't mind the trolls their business it looked like it had a really well filled out first year too despite much of it being older ports and eventually same time ports...then it went to hell year 2. Switch could do this, it will come down to how much the system continues to sell entirely. WiiU folded up sales rotten and they even had to pause production to get rid of inventory, it never recovered. Switch is selling through though, so it's a 180 difference in start hardware wise so hopefully it plays out better.

--Flojo-- I felt the same too before it came out, because the proto taunted the format the Japanese (which is the PAL too) version went with. I used to make dick jokes about it at school ...ugly on top, bottom ribbed for your pleasure. I never liked it, but it would feel so out of place buying the UK version. And yes all the 3D printed stuff for gaming I've seen to date is damned ugly. The NGPC SD Kit is the least bad, but even then from the side it looks like a big pile of mm thick plastic wafers slightly unevenly glued together, but front and back it looks slick.

Hey you know I wonder if they'll cheap out on the manual again or not this time? They have the room to store some PDFs as that lame QRCODE popup for the manual is just insulting.

Since we're on precut labels, anyone know someone who can clone a MVS cartridge sticker or two for me? I just don't have the capability without making something look just awful.