IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

BTW, how come no classic wiimote ports this time? Does this mean real super Nintendo controllers will work on this? Or that if I get this I can use these as replacement controllers on my original super Nintendo?

The classic wiimote ports are there. The controllers have been confirmed to work with the Wii and vice versa.

I had no doubts that a Super NES Classic console would be announced for this year, given the wild success of the NES Classic from last year. However, I was fully prepared to pass on the whole thing without any interest, simply due to the absurdity of trying to find an NES Classic (although I did stumble across one last year by sheer dumb luck). Starfox 2, of course, has changed that. I've played the prototype that's been floating about for years, and it's a fine game. Now here's a chance to play (supposedly) the gold master build that would have went to release.

So I'm torn. i want it, well and truly. But I have to honestly admit, I really don't think I have the heart to ride the "beat the scalpers" roller coaster again, meaning I may have to miss out on one of the most intriguing games in the SNES's entire lifespan, simply because I do not have confidence that Nintendo will meet demand, and I refuse to pay a scalper for more-than-MSRP. That saddens me greatly.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

BTW, how come no classic wiimote ports this time? Does this mean real super Nintendo controllers will work on this? Or that if I get this I can use these as replacement controllers on my original super Nintendo?

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

The picture on here looks like regular super Nintendo ports not wiimote ports.

I can tell that they are smaller than the original SNES ports. I'm with you on the wiimote ports I don't see ports for that.

The front panel opens to reveal the Wiimote connectors.

Give it a few months. Something tells me you'll be able to play that Starfox 2 without issue.

If this thing has the same NES CE corners cut, I'd give it a few days, weeks at worst. Hakchi to the rescue, then someone will gut that rom right out of there for downloads and warez (in a lie called repro) cart makers.

Thanks. Should of just used real super nintendo ports. But wiimote is cool. And uk pageis finally up. So keep an eye out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-System/dp/B071G84PFQ

USA page has been up since the announcement and saying "should of" makes you sound dumb. So keep an eye out.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic/dp/B0721GGGS9/

It obviously wasn't real SuperNes controller ports, since they're to scale with the rest of the unit.

j9p86ncrxftgfwvcp8d8.jpg

If they were genuine, they'd dominate the front of this miniature system. Instead, to the naked eye it appears that the original proportions are maintained here

Edited by Atariboy

If this thing has the same NES CE corners cut, I'd give it a few days, weeks at worst. Hakchi to the rescue, then someone will gut that rom right out of there for downloads and warez (in a lie called repro) cart makers.

Repro carts are fine, I think, so long as it's understood the thing is indeed a repro, or if it's something you have for your own personal use. I have a repro of the latest available Starfox 2 beta with an English translation, and that's fine and all, but it's not the fully complete game. Not that I wouldn't also mind a repro of that as well. I'd love to play the game on actual hardware if at all possible, as it was intended. But when it comes to selling repros on the public market and advertising them as the real deal, I agree: that's a scumbag move, I'd say.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

I have a repro of the latest available Starfox 2 beta with an English translation, and that's fine and all, but it's not the fully complete game. Not that I wouldn't also mind a repro of that as well. I'd love to play the game on actual hardware if at all possible, as it was intended.

Does your reproduction have a SuperFX chip in it? If so, that's somewhat impressive, right?

Does your reproduction have a SuperFX chip in it? If so, that's somewhat impressive, right?

The repro cart that I have was built from a Stunt Race FX, so it actually have a Super FX 1 chip inside it. I'd like to have used a card with a Super FX 2 in it, which the game supposedly requires to operate at full speed, but I didn't have a game to hand as a donor for it (either Doom or Yoshi's Island). If I do a second cart with the full SF2 on it, though, I may try to get a copy of Doom as a donor for that one. I just don't have the heart to cannibalize Yoshi's Island for that.

Edited by rockman_x_2002
  • Like 1

So it occurred to me today that the scalping situation will actually be a lot worse than last time. This is the sequel to one of the most horded and scalped collectible items in the history of gaming. Everyone knows what happened last time. I think that's really going to bring out the greedy speculators in droves. Adding to the hysteria is the "never before released" Star Fox 2. You'll also see a lot of gamers, who are not usually scalpers and speculators, who say "well I'll buy two just in case."

Allegedly Nintendo is going to produce "significantly more" units this time. However they're also warning people that the product won't ship beyond the end of the year.

"We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year."

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700

I don't know what else to say. The way this company does business is really scummy, and I've been a Nintendo fan for decades. There's always a "shortage" with their consoles, but with the exception of the Wii, at the end of a hardware cycle their sales figures are always much lower than the competition. Clearly the demand isn't as great as this company would like you to believe.

Meanwhile I can walk into literally a dozen different stores and by a Sega Genesis plug and play or the Atari Flashback console without problem. The Atari Flashback consoles have been in production for over a decade. They're always easy to find, always readily available. I know that the Atari market is much smaller than Nintendo, but something tells me the last Atari Flashback console was produced in greater quantity than the NES Mini.

I worry that this thing will sell out faster than last time. A lot of fans will get burned. They'll rush to Nintendo's social media pages and complain. Nintendo won't care because to them a sale is a sale. They don't care who buys the product, just so long as they make the sale.

• Like 1

So it occurred to me today that the scalping situation will actually be a lot worse than last time. This is the sequel to one of the most horded and scalped collectible items in the history of gaming. Everyone knows what happened last time. I think that's really going to bring out the greedy speculators in droves. Adding to the hysteria is the "never before released" Star Fox 2. You'll also see a lot of gamers, who are not usually scalpers and speculators, who say "well I'll buy two just in case."

Allegedly Nintendo is going to produce "significantly more" units this time. However they're also warning people that the product won't ship beyond the end of the year.

I don't know what else to say. The way this company does business is really scummy, and I've been a Nintendo fan for decades. There's always a "shortage" with their consoles, but with the exception of the Wii, at the end of a hardware cycle their sales figures are always much lower than the competition. Clearly the demand isn't as great as this company would like you to believe.

Meanwhile I can walk into literally a dozen different stores and by a Sega Genesis plug and play or the Atari Flashback console without problem. The Atari Flashback consoles have been in production for over a decade. They're always easy to find, always readily available. I know that the Atari market is much smaller than Nintendo, but something tells me the last Atari Flashback console was produced in greater quantity than the NES Mini.

I worry that this thing will sell out faster than last time. A lot of fans will get burned. They'll rush to Nintendo's social media pages and complain. Nintendo won't care because to them a sale is a sale. They don't care who buys the product, just so long as they make the sale.

I agree with some of the things you said, like the scalping being worse and that Nintendo is erring on the side of crummy when to comes to business with these things.

But I don't think it's a case of "sale is a sale" to them. Instead, this is like one big marketing campaign to get people talking about Nintendo. And it's working, considering all the news networks, blogs, tech publications, etc, are talking about it. So let's say 100,000 people get pissed off at Nintendo because of their handling of these consoles. That's a drop in the pan compared to the millions who are exposed to Nintendo through the constant media attention. It's really hard to buy that kind of attention, but they figured out a way to generate it. Even though some of it may be negative, the amount of people who will "never buy Nintendo again" is, to be honest, minuscule. That doesn't make it right, but that's what they're doing.

• Like 2

But I don't think it's a case of "sale is a sale" to them. Instead, this is like one big marketing campaign to get people talking about Nintendo. And it's working, considering all the news networks, blogs, tech publications, etc, are talking about it. So let's say 100,000 people get pissed off at Nintendo because of their handling of these consoles. That's a drop in the pan compared to the millions who are exposed to Nintendo through the constant media attention. It's really hard to buy that kind of attention, but they figured out a way to generate it. Even though some of it may be negative, the amount of people who will "never buy Nintendo again" is, to be honest, minuscule. That doesn't make it right, but that's what they're doing.

I agree with this completely. Maybe it's because they're the smallest player on the market. For whatever reason they do seem to be using this to create buzz about the Nintendo brand more than anything. Nintendo thinks they can constantly get away with burning consumers but I'm not entirely sure that's true. Although I loved it, the Wii U was a sales disaster. The 3DS is amazing, but it hasn't come close to the sales of the Nintendo DS. Until the Wii came along Nintendo was facing an ever decreasing market share. That trend continued with the Wii U. Funny story, when I saw the unveiling of this product at one of Nintendo's last E3 press briefings people in the audience actually booed when the presentation was over.

And I won't lie to any of you. I'm going to be out there hunting the SNES Mini with the rest of you. I've also got a lot of nieces and nephews. They've already asked if I'm going to help them find one. Last time I was able to secure two NES Minis. One for me, one of my brother and his kids. They're still playing it. I'm hoping I have the same kind of luck.

Being a Nintendo fan is a special kind of misery. I've always loved three companies. Atari, Nintendo and Sega. Only one of those company has consistently treated me like garbage over the past several decades. Still, I have to say that I love my Switch. Right now it fits into my life more than any of my other game machines. So I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment when it comes to this company. They abuse me and I keep coming back for more. I've purchased every Nintendo console at launch since the original SNES.

Best of luck everyone. It would be neat to check back in a few months and see which of us was able to score the SNES Mini.

• Like 2

I agree with this completely. Maybe it's because they're the smallest player on the market. For whatever reason they do seem to be using this to create buzz about the Nintendo brand more than anything. Nintendo thinks they can constantly get away with burning consumers but I'm not entirely sure that's true. Although I loved it, the Wii U was a sales disaster. The 3DS is amazing, but it hasn't come close to the sales of the Nintendo DS. Until the Wii came along Nintendo was facing an ever decreasing market share. That trend continued with the Wii U. Funny story, when I saw the unveiling of this product at one of Nintendo's last E3 press briefings people in the audience actually booed when the presentation was over.

And I won't lie to any of you. I'm going to be out there hunting the SNES Mini with the rest of you. I've also got a lot of nieces and nephews. They've already asked if I'm going to help them find one. Last time I was able to secure two NES Minis. One for me, one of my brother and his kids. They're still playing it. I'm hoping I have the same kind of luck.

Being a Nintendo fan is a special kind of misery. I've always loved three companies. Atari, Nintendo and Sega. Only one of those company has consistently treated me like garbage over the past several decades. Still, I have to say that I love my Switch. Right now it fits into my life more than any of my other game machines. So I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment when it comes to this company. They abuse me and I keep coming back for more. I've purchased every Nintendo console at launch since the original SNES.

Best of luck everyone. It would be neat to check back in a few months and see which of us was able to score the SNES Mini.

Try being a PC gamer, developers and publishers beat you like a rented mule... then make you pay for it icon_laughingblue.gif I've quit new-release games all-together and have gone back to playing older PC games, my DS, and my Gamecube.

To keep this topic SNES-Mini-focused, I noticed there's already people scalping pre-orders on eBay. What do you suppose these scalpers do for money the rest of the year? Don't they have full-time jobs, or is this a welfare kind of situation and scalping is just an easy way to make beer and Whopper money?

• Like 2

I don't know about "welfare kid of situation," but I've seen people who aren't really into games stating they intended to scalp this item in the comments section of media reports.

It also takes buyers for scalping to be worthwhile. Who are the poor saps who are willing to pay double, triple, and quadruple for these "collectibles," and why do they feel the need to do this?

Repro carts are fine, I think, so long as it's understood the thing is indeed a repro, or if it's something you have for your own personal use. I have a repro of the latest available Starfox 2 beta with an English translation, and that's fine and all, but it's not the fully complete game. Not that I wouldn't also mind a repro of that as well. I'd love to play the game on actual hardware if at all possible, as it was intended. But when it comes to selling repros on the public market and advertising them as the real deal, I agree: that's a scumbag move, I'd say.

I'm all for someone getting the final version out. I have one of the versions on a cart with I do believe a GSU2 proc. I can't wait to see any differences between the two.