IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

When opportunity knocks answer the door.

We live in a capitalist society like it or not. I blame people every time something is limited. Just like when homebrews get released in limited form. That is stupid as shit. Then the person who made the game will be mad when it gets sold for 3-4 times what thet charged, unreal.

I make money on the side, but I actually work for it. I guess that isn't the capitalist way, though.

I will almost guarantee Nintendo themselves are the biggest scalper out there. They limit everything they sell. I would bet money they hoard a big stash and scalp it on ebay and such themselves. Think about it? Would they rather make one million units or make 300,000 and bank the same profits!

That doesn't even make sense.

I guarantee you one thing. I'm not the only person reading this thread who is going to buy a few of these just in case, I may be the only one to admit it though.

You use the same arguments every one does when they don't want to take responsibility for something. "Other people do it", "It's their fault I did it", "It's the way society is".

Just sack-up and admit you're greedy and want to make some easy money. At least then I'd have a shimmer of respect for your honesty. Just because something is legal doesn't make it a decent thing to do. Regardless of what the product/thing is, I have no respect for scalpers, and no respect for people that hide behind excuses to try and justify said greedy behaviour.

Nobody has scalped anything yet! Plain and simple.

Thanks for the insightful comment. I'd of never guessed in a thread about a product that was announced less than a week ago, that scalpers didn't already have the product in hand to resell it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Thanks for the insightful comment. I'd of never guessed in a thread about a product that was announced less than a week ago, that scalpers didn't already have the product in hand to resell it.

Unless they're time travelling scalpers.

• Like 1

There is a BIG difference between a reproduction and bootleg. My games are marked as reproductions. I do not sell bootlegs. a bootleg is something you sell as in to manipulate someone into thinking they are buying an original item when it is not. I really don't want this thread going there since there are 50 others already but get a dictionary. Yes I am complaining over the ebay neg and it is NOT because something doesn't work properly it is because someone just wanted to neg me. The item I sold works as advertised, someone fails to comprehend meanings of words. Freezing does not mean slowdown just as bootleg does not mean reproduction.

The difference is only in your mind. It's all copyright violation. You have no rights to sell anything you "made," and if any IP lawyer saw you justifying it as "taking advantage of opportunity" in writing, you'd be in for a very tough time.

I know you don't care what I think, but you also can't stop me or anyone else from calling you out for bad behavior. "We live in a capitalist society like it or not" and we also have rules and laws and standards of behavior that don't trample the rights of others.

• Like 2

When opportunity knocks answer the door.

We live in a capitalist society like it or not. I blame people every time something is limited. Just like when homebrews get released in limited form. That is stupid as shit. Then the person who made the game will be mad when it gets sold for 3-4 times what thet charged, unreal.

I will almost guarantee Nintendo themselves are the biggest scalper out there. They limit everything they sell. I would bet money they hoard a big stash and scalp it on ebay and such themselves. Think about it? Would they rather make one million units or make 300,000 and bank the same profits!

I guarantee you one thing. I'm not the only person reading this thread who is going to buy a few of these just in case, I may be the only one to admit it though.

And I'll bet you'll be first in line to make "repros" of this Star Fox 2 (if different) once it hits the net, too.

• Like 1

What's the big deal about this, you can't play snes carts on it and it will cost almost as much (probably a lot more for most who really want this) as a Super Everdrive that will play most of the SNES library?

Big deal is its official and legit. A PI with illegal downloaded roms is not legit. Nobody ever got in trouble before but why bother or risk it. One of these days somebody will get into trouble. And then everyone will get scared and stop

Big deal is its official and legit. A PI with illegal downloaded roms is not legit. Nobody ever got in trouble before but why bother or risk it. One of these days somebody will get into trouble. And then everyone will get scared and stop

Trouble is more likely to come via malware by visiting some of those sites.

Trouble is more likely to come via malware by visiting some of those sites.

That used to be a major issue before archive.org started hosting stuff, going to some shady arse romzware site, I feel safer there, and if and when the stuff hits the fan, they will be the canary since its so public

Don't you think a reasonable person would find that ridiculous?

If I can order one of these on Amazon like a civilized person, I might. If I can't? Oh well.

I think that a non-video game collector would find that ridiculous. A four hour wait isn't that bad, but that's just me. A bit early, but I'm up for the gym at 5 anyway...it's all a matter of perspective. Now, would I rather be able to roll into Walmart after work and find one on the shelf? Sure I would...but that's not gonna happen. I lucked out with the NES last time, and I showed up only an hour before opening (I think I was 8 or 9th in line...they only had 12 units). I asked the guys up front and they showed up at 3. And the first two in line got the controllers as well (the official ones, of course).

And I also saw what a shitshow the pre-orders online were...outta control. I will try, of course, to pre-order...but I'm not holding my breath. So the best chance for me to get one is going to my relatively small and unknown Walmart location and wait it out. Four measly hours of my life for a great little collectible that will hopefully be better than the NES one on all fronts. To me, it's not unreasonable. My only worry is that others will get the same idea, and show up even EARLIER....like midnight, now that they have a feel that they can scalp these things. Since our Walmart handed out numbers, nobody got more than one...and I'm sure only the desperate for money scalped theirs (and I'm sure only after opening it, decreasing the value somewhat).

So what I don't get is why you'd imply that a) I'm unreasonable and b) I'm uncivilized due to my choices. Not that it matters...essentially imaginary people on the internet aren't going to sway my decisions any more than my actual friends :D ...I do appreciate the fact you didn't outright call me an unreasonable savage, though :D

Further, and I get the sense of this from a bunch of others here, if you have to question why a collector on a niche retro video gaming forum would wait a mere four hours for a guaranteed piece of soon to be rare an overpriced to the point of ridiculousness Nintendo action, then you might to reconsider who you think your peers are. This is what being a fan is all about. Compared to what people will do for sports or concert tickets, this is a total freebie :D

It would be an entirely different thing if my reasons for acquiring this would be for sole retail...and you know what, the majority of scalpers are not going to be motivated to wake up that early to only get one. They'll bot the shit out of Walmart's website, of course. So the way I see it, I'm actually a fan in the truest sense of the word. Whether or not anybody thinks that's reasonable has literally no bearing. To allow the opinion's of others to sway your decisions for relatively meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) pastimes in life is a lot more pathetic in my eyes than waiting four hours to get a SNES Classic. And it's not like I do this often...the NES Classic was the first, and this SNES Classic will be the last.

So what I don't get is why you'd imply that a) I'm unreasonable and b) I'm uncivilized due to my choices. Not that it matters...essentially imaginary people on the internet aren't going to sway my decisions any more than my actual friends :D ...I do appreciate the fact you didn't outright call me an unreasonable savage, though :D

Do what you like, like what you do, that's what I say. I meant "reasonable person" in the jury sense of the word, a "hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct." The average person DGAF about SNES.

Here's what was said

When I say camping, it's not going to be too ridiculous...the Walmart here opens at 7am, so I'll probably show up at 3am.

To me, getting up at 5am to go to the gym is pretty ridiculous (though my spouse often does that, I do not), and since there won't be too many people there at such an early hour would suggest most others feel the same way.

I certainly never said that you were uncivilized due to your choices. If you need to go through all that crap to get this collectible, go for it. I'm not doing it, though. It's nothing personal, and for what it's worth, I don't think you write like a savage. I'd have to see you eat to make a full diagnosis.

I bought my SNES from a Woolworth store in NJ in the early 1990s for $150 with Super Mario Bros and two controllers. There was no line, and I might have even been able to pull it off the shelf myself, not from a locked cage as in Target or Best Buy. The AtGames reproduction consoles are available in great plenty, and some people even get them in dollar stores. The Nintendo equivalent could and should be more like that. It should be easy to spend $80, not a campout opportunity.

I'm not a die-hard collector though, and I have most of the original games as well as Virtual Console versions on Wii/3DS.

• Like 1

I think by this point everyone should pretty much expect that if they want one of these systems then they are either going to have to show up 3 to 4 hours before their electronics store of choice opens on a day that they'll be receiving a shipment or pay $300 on eBay. To think that you'll have any chance of getting one by just walking into a store one afternoon and picking one up off the shelf is just not paying attention to history.

For as long as Nintendo has been around they've always had supply issues with their North American branch for just about every system they've ever released that ended up being popular, and they always say "We'll make enough next time!" then never do. If they can't keep their flagship system that they're producing year round, the Switch, on the shelves then the chance of them keeping a special limited production holiday only item like SNES Mini on shelves is approximately zero.

So, if you truly want one then you'll have to either get up early and do a little leg work or pay quadruple on eBay. I'm not trying to be negative about it, history just shows us that this is how Nintendo does business. Personally I'll be getting up at 4:00 AM twice to take the bus across town to Best Buy on separate shipment days so I can get two of them. One to keep and play and one to list on eBay for the people with more money than initiative.

• Like 3

Oh NO you didn't. Welcome to my world.

Hey, I'm poor and on permanent disability, so if someone wants to give me $200 to get up a few hours early and go sit outside a store for a couple hours I'm not going to turn it down. My discretionary spending budget is usually around $75 a month, so that's nearly 3 months worth of spending money to me. And even if I wasn't poor it would still be hard to say "no" to someone saying that they'd give you $200 just to go sit down somewhere for a couple hours. Unless you're already rolling in money that's just too good of an offer to pass up.

Edit: I should add that I know a fair number of people will be displeased with my perspective and consider it predatory behavior, but I would like to point out that I am not forcing anyone to pay $300 for a SNES Mini. They could go get one for $80 just as easily as I could, even more easily in fact if they owned a car and didn't have to take public transportation. But if they feel that $300 is an acceptable price for one of these things and don't want to get up early or wait in line for a couple hours then I'm not going to argue with them. It's easy (and much needed) work for me and will go a long way towards buying my family Christmas presents.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

I think by this point everyone should pretty much expect that if they want one of these systems then they are either going to have to show up 3 to 4 hours before their electronics store of choice opens on a day that they'll be receiving a shipment or pay $300 on eBay. To think that you'll have any chance of getting one by just walking into a store one afternoon and picking one up off the shelf is just not paying attention to history.

Ridiculous; there is no reason to do that. I went to Target one hour before they opened on release day, was able to buy one NES Classic and one controller at regular cost, and wrapped it up for my Son for Christmas. You just have to know which stores are getting how many, and then go to the store where you feel confident will have enough for you to buy one.

In my case, it just so happened to be the store in my town, which got the most stock on release day of all the Target stores on Long Island.

Now, knowing just how to find out how much stock a store is getting, thats the real trick laddie. ;)

Ridiculous; there is no reason to do that. I went to Target one hour before they opened on release day

let me blow off work to stand out front of a target for a chance to pay for a toy

reasonable person, fk that, if I cant buy it when I want it, then tough, its not for me, try that crap again, I am not even considering buying it LET ALONE keeping track of day one releases across multiple re-sellers in my area to "show up early"

I never understood this mentality of getting some rare special plastic junk trinket that cost me more in time and effort than the stupid thing costs, but hey if you want to fist fight a granny for a tickle me elmo on release day or a shitty china TV on black Friday, knock yourself out ... I got better things to do than give one single shit about it, if they want me to buy it, they will make it available

its the same with switch, I probably would have bought one, when the hype train was at 11, but I have yet to even see one in my local stores, so I guess since its not worth keeping up with demand, its not worth me even considering buying ... btw my walmart still has 1 wiiU, and not even a space for the switch

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

Hey, I'm poor and on permanent disability, so if someone wants to give me $200 to get up a few hours early and go sit outside a store for a couple hours I'm not going to turn it down. My discretionary spending budget is usually around $75 a month, so that's nearly 3 months worth of spending money to me. And even if I wasn't poor it would still be hard to say "no" to someone saying that they'd give you $200 just to go sit down somewhere for a couple hours. Unless you're already rolling in money that's just too good of an offer to pass up.

Edit: I should add that I know a fair number of people will be displeased with my perspective and consider it predatory behavior, but I would like to point out that I am not forcing anyone to pay $300 for a SNES Mini. They could go get one for $80 just as easily as I could, even more easily in fact if they owned a car and didn't have to take public transportation. But if they feel that $300 is an acceptable price for one of these things and don't want to get up early or wait in line for a couple hours then I'm not going to argue with them. It's easy (and much needed) work for me and will go a long way towards buying my family Christmas presents.

Honestly, never understood people willing to wait in line for hours and when I first heard of people doing it for money I was like wow thats crazy but hey good on you mate if you can make a few bucks to help yourself out kudos to you my friend. That to me shows motivation and entrepreneurial spirit and I for one can respect that.

Beats the hell out of people sucking the system dry who choose not to work and instead work the system (while I myself am not on permanent disability, both my Wife and I have had our fair share of disablement over the years, but not yet to the point where we can't keep plugging along and work). So I know how hard it can be to make ends meet when you want to work, but just can't.

Here's to some fool offering you $600.00 to wait in line! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ridiculous; there is no reason to do that. I went to Target one hour before they opened on release day, was able to buy one NES Classic and one controller at regular cost, and wrapped it up for my Son for Christmas. You just have to know which stores are getting how many, and then go to the store where you feel confident will have enough for you to buy one.

In my case, it just so happened to be the store in my town, which got the most stock on release day of all the Target stores on Long Island.

Now, knowing just how to find out how much stock a store is getting, thats the real trick laddie. ;)

It's not ridiculous: what's ridiculous is that you were able to do what you did. Thatt was very lucky and extremely uncommon. You're implying that all one needs to do is simply do what YOU did and they'll get the same results. That's ridiculous. I knew exactly what location, when they'd release, but did not know the exact number (nor would it have quite mattered, I believe) of units. The Toysrus had the most arrive, but each one was spoken for before they opened the store because of people like me, hanging out early. Each only got one, so unless they were savvy 'team' scalpers, then they were probably much like me and really, really wanted one.

I showed up an hour early, everything you did...still got a system, but no OEM extra controller. And the release date was the only hard and fast known date that employees were willing to give to a guy like me. And EB? Forget about it. They basically told you to fuck off if you even mentioned the bloody thing. So there was a sloooooow trickle of products, but literally in ones and twos, you never knew what day that stock would arrive, and was ALWAYS gone within minutes of opening the store. By then the buzz was out and people were willing to come in early every day if need be, staking out Walmarts and the like.

So...as I said before: arriving four hours early is about the easiest way to ensure you get one, but that's ONLY on release day, and only at a location that won't be staked out by even more determined people. I hope I luck out with a preorder.

Here's another wrinkle: I don't think Nintendo is manufacturing any more of these than the NES mini. But I also don't think it will be as popular in general with the public, because while we gamers all know about the SNES, most of the masses from that period certainly do not. The iconic NES was a household name...the SNES was popular, but not to that degree (not that it wasn't any good of course, it's just that the NES was such a game changer and lasted so very long in the public conciousness). So, the only plus will be perhaps demand won't be as massive this year, which may translate into a better chance for us to get one without as much difficulty.

But I still doubt that. The sharks smell blood and they will get it.

let me blow off work to stand out front of a target for a chance to pay for a toy

reasonable person, fk that, if I cant buy it when I want it, then tough, its not for me, try that crap again, I am not even considering buying it LET ALONE keeping track of day one releases across multiple re-sellers in my area to "show up early"

What time do you work man? Target by me opens at 8 AM, I was outta there by 8:20 AM and back in bed.

It's not ridiculous: what's ridiculous is that you were able to do what you did. Thatt was very lucky and extremely uncommon. You're implying that all one needs to do is simply do what YOU did and they'll get the same results. That's ridiculous. I knew exactly what location, when they'd release, but did not know the exact number (nor would it have quite mattered, I believe) of units. The Toysrus had the most arrive, but each one was spoken for before they opened the store because of people like me, hanging out early. Each only got one, so unless they were savvy 'team' scalpers, then they were probably much like me and really, really wanted one.

I showed up an hour early, everything you did...still got a system, but no OEM extra controller. And the release date was the only hard and fast known date that employees were willing to give to a guy like me. And EB? Forget about it. They basically told you to fuck off if you even mentioned the bloody thing. So there was a sloooooow trickle of products, but literally in ones and twos, you never knew what day that stock would arrive, and was ALWAYS gone within minutes of opening the store. By then the buzz was out and people were willing to come in early every day if need be, staking out Walmarts and the like.

So...as I said before: arriving four hours early is about the easiest way to ensure you get one, but that's ONLY on release day, and only at a location that won't be staked out by even more determined people. I hope I luck out with a preorder.

Here's another wrinkle: I don't think Nintendo is manufacturing any more of these than the NES mini. But I also don't think it will be as popular in general with the public, because while we gamers all know about the SNES, most of the masses from that period certainly do not. The iconic NES was a household name...the SNES was popular, but not to that degree (not that it wasn't any good of course, it's just that the NES was such a game changer and lasted so very long in the public conciousness). So, the only plus will be perhaps demand won't be as massive this year, which may translate into a better chance for us to get one without as much difficulty.

But I still doubt that. The sharks smell blood and they will get it.

Gamestop: totally agree with you on that one, they were of no help whatsoever in the months leading up for release. Which is why I knew NOT to deal with them in any way. And to be quite honest, my way really isn't luck or uncommon at all, its actually what many people practice, just not with toys so to speak. I happen to collect steelbooks, and many of us that do have been using store stock numbers (how many a specific store is getting) to do exactly what I did.

So basically I'm using a skill from another habit and applying it to this one (yes, I consider collecting steelbooks and video games a habit, but hey, there are worse ones, right?).

I'm also not a dick about it: for the legitimate folks on line with me (scalpers can die) I give them a heads up on how many the store is getting, and I've even pointed people to other stores if I know they are too far down the line to get one. Its also pretty funny when I correct the clerks on how many they actually got. Not an exact science, but it does help when you need to buy something thats limited in quantity.

The NES Classic did get more stock, eventually, but with steelbooks its that one release day, and thats it (usually). So you can see why numbers are really important.

adult hours, 8am to 5pm most of the time later

Ah, gotcha, yes, I can see where that would be a problem. Go in late maybe? But honestly if you're buying it for yourself aren't you going to want to play it anyway? So stay home and enjoy it!