IGNORED

T.r.a.s.h. WIP

WizardBone

Hello,

This is my first Batari game.
For best game play experience or video capture, You should turn on Phosphor in Stella. see below if not sure how :)

Game Title: T.R.A.S.H.

Secondary Title: 16K Garbage Day

Genre: Cyberjunk / Run n' Gun

Author: Hancock

Things left to do:

Game manual

Sticker Art / Box art

post-47993-0-30292900-1508276326.png

Who? What? When? Where? Why? Wtf?

You are Davy, an armed garbageman who works for T.R.A.S.H. (Tactical Recycling And Security Headquarters.) This anti-government organization consist only of outsourced agents - highly professional mercenaries, but extremely dangerous and only loyal to their own personal motives.
You have been assigned to SECTOR 09 inside of STEMCITY (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.) The rapid and intense growth of this Sector has led to overcrowding, poverty and slumish living conditions that have become a public health risk due to the large volumes of uncollected human and technological waste.
Sector 09 has declared itself obsolete and now overrun by a gang of vigilante trash goons, know as, Junkies. This gang makes up the core of criminal activity inside Sector 09. Reports say, the malfunctioning gang members were built and programmed by a diabolical technology company, JunkTech, to serve and protect their leader of the movement, openly know as Dr. Junkhead. According to STEM insiders, the entire operation of JunkTech has been solely funded by Dr. Junkhead. Although, no other information is know about him or JunkTech's agenda, the signs are grim and can only point to World Domination.
Until environmental conditions improve and JunkTech is disassembled, Sector 09 has declared a state of emergency, further, STEMCITY has requested a full lock down on Sector 09. All enforcement powers and jurisdictions have been placed into the hands of T.R.A.S.H.

Your mission: Clean up the streets of Sector 09 and short-circuit any Junky you run into.

Main objective: Seek Dr. Junkhead and disassemble JunkTech for good.

Personal Motive: A couple of Dr. Junkhead's sleazy goons nabbed your favorite stripper, Stella, from the Spacebar last night – she is now held up inside the JunkTech factory as bait. Rumors state, she is an unwanted love child of STEMCITY'S Mayor.

post-47993-0-77869500-1508276791.png

How To Play:

Press the fire button to kick ass.

Joy left/right/down/up for movement.

Freely explore the streets of Sector 09 however you desire. Walking far right or left on the street will let you randomize a new street scene. Further, you can explore the buildings by entering any door entrance. The purple buildings have single room interiors. The grey buildings will lead to the interior of JunkTech factory, the factory will randomize and should be explored the same way as the streets.

Walk atop garbage bags, junk needles, or rescue stray cats subject to JunkTech experiments, to collect both health and point rewards. Please, watch your hands garbageman, some needles may prick your fingers, and some cats may scratch. No health or points will be rewarded.

If you want to open a garbage-can to see what lays inside, you should! with an upward motion to pop open their lids. Then with a down motion you can collect the trash.

There is a garbage-can on your back, this is your health meter which will fill up as you collect.

Your Extra Lives are displayed on the second number of your score table. 3 continues only.

You can skip the Intro Music by pressing up.

Press down+fire to skip death scene.

SEEK AND DESTROY DR. JUNKHEAD. YOU MUST RESCUE STELLA!

IMPORTANT: Before starting the game, be sure to enable Phosphor on the ROM.

Single Click The Rom, Then go to Options and choose Game Properties.

If the game appears jittery, the phosphor is not enabled.

post-47993-0-65064800-1508276375.png

I hope you enjoy playing in my trash bin.

TRASH_16k_Garbage_Day.bin

Edited by WizardBone
  • Like 12

Cool! glad you tried it out. I googled Alien Storm, it looks amazing. And I have to agree now I see it! nice call.
I feel you on walking over trash bit. It's always a consideration to change sometime. The game was FIRST written so you could walking left right only, you couldn't go up and down on the road, more platform styled. so the crouch was needed for avoiding enemy bullets, now it's just a pick up and kinda avoid a bullet if lucky lol

Do I wanna know what the naked lady sprite is about?

Since you started this out by short selling the game on how bad it was, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good this game is. You've got the starter of a really fun and great looking game here. Gives me a reason to look forward to the Fall!

Well done!

Edited by StanJr
  • Like 1

oh sweet! glad you like the sprites. They are the best part for me. Game play s lacking mostly. That's good to know the health is appealing to a player! It wasn't planned. I was having issues trying to get a health bar on top, and davy was standing next to a garbage can at the time and got the idea, so I thought it was cool enough and caused less flicker lol.

Bahaha the naked lady. She was gonna be a hologram type thing inside a building. Haven't started on going inside places yet. Not sure her purpose, right now for your viewing :P

Edit: I seen your edit so now I reply same way , I sell it short because I know people are professionals here. And the guts of it are horrible. and buggy bug bug. It's far from complete so I figured it's better to tell people up front it's far from perfect, instead of working it up to be what it's not. That kinda thing rubs people the wrong way.

By the time fall comes around I will be itching to get at it. I might before, dunno. But for now my brain needs a rest and work on other hobbies. IF you ever think of ways to improve between now and then, drop a line. There is no goal, just gonna go until I run out of rom space. I personally think I took on to much for my first game, here's to hoping it works out.

Edited by WizardBone

Been playing it for a bit. Right now it seems like after 10+ screens I always get to a screen (going left or right, love that you can go both ways) where the walking TV spawns right atop me and instantly kills me. One game I was doing really well, 25+ screens, and then whammo! instant TV guy and dead.

I love the idea of going into buildings and finding stuff, power-ups (maybe?) or just stuff worth bonus points. Maybe the building interiors are where the tougher bad guys lurk protecting better trashure (see what I did there?).

Your naked lady reminds me of Porky's, only yours looks like an actual naked lady! :)

And don't sell yourself short. You've got a great start here. And all of the incredible programmers that hang around here started somewhere, just like you are. And best of all, they are generally really awesome people who are more than happy to help you get to their level!

Really enjoying your start here, can't wait to see more!

:spidey:

• Like 1

Super cool game! :)

I love the art direction. The gameplay is simple, but addicting as well. Going into buildings would be sweet as well, add an extra layer of exploration. ^^

Can't wait to see more. :)

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

Stanjr, the walking TV is a MONSTER in all senses lolll The highest score I've gotten was something like 5000, and then as you said WHAM! instant death before you get a chance to run away or shoot at him. It's really unfair to the player, And makes me really angry when I am doing good haha It needs to be changed in time.Maybe make him a lil slower, only take halflife, and make sure he can NOT pop up like he does before you get to react. THAT MONSTER!

trashure is a hilarious word. Can I use it for the game? perhaps use it in the manual when all is said and done? Also, you nailed it, inside is where I want different power-ups, and trashure to pick up, stronger bad dudes (maybe a mini boss or something?)

I really appreciate you actually playing it with real effort! gives me more reason to look forward to continue! Thank for your feedback man! BTW I just got home from wok, sorry for the late reply.

Jinroh, Thank you for playing! :)

I glad you like the art, I am more artist then programmer I think? so I have been wondering if the gameplay was too simple or not. Anything you would do differently?
Exploration is the next big step. I think it would make it more interesting and make the city seem bigger :):)

I think given the limitation you have it well designed without being over designed.

Picking up Garbage Bags, opening cans, and picking bags from cans gives the player plenty to do when not blasting the monsters. It gives different required actions while being able to re-use existing assets so it's clever. :)

If you add exploring buildings or something being able to find the naked women holograms or rescuing humans to add a another layer of the collecting would be cool, and give the player something to hunt for.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

That is an interesting topic I'd like to talk about as time goes on. I'm glad you brought it up. An overall goal is indeed needed. As of now he is cruising the city picking up trash and blasting. But something like saving humans is a good idea. Maybe sometimes they are locked in a cage, which is why you would need to find colored keys maybe? I once had a thought the trash monsters kidnapped his kids, so he has to find them haha. Who knows! rescuing humans is also a good one. Maybe both?

There are other project files, perhaps I will throw them up here on the topic one day. They are lil sections of ideas I was working out. One idea was reusing his garbage can as a jet pack. It works good enough, just didn't have anywhere to add it in yet. What happens is instead of walking left and right, it gave you the option to fly upward to get on top of a buildings. The main issue is limitation. So man ideas that may never all fit ! Thanks for bringing up saving humans, I like that! might be able to work it in : ).

Edit: there is also a thing not included yet but worked out-ish. Sometimes when you open a can, a monster will pop out. So it's not always a safe bet to open them hehe

Edited by WizardBone
  • Like 1

Yeah that sounds good! Humans in cages or trapped with coloured keys would lend itself nicely to some backtracking. ^^

The idea of flying up to the buildings is neat as well, or maybe there could also be a SHMUP style level where he has to take down a large 48-pixel garbage monster the size of a building. So he has to fly up and shoot its head.

You know, you keep triggering interesting ideas. lol When you say fly up to shoot it's head it made me think of something. Remember contra? how the bosses body was the background and it's head or arms would be like moving sprites to destroy. I can totally see flying on a jetpack and making a huge monster that way. It would be HUGE like a building as you say. HMM

• Like 1

Well thank you cimmerian! You guys are really cool man. I'm glad you like the sprites. They were the reason I wanted to make the game honestly. How do you feel the crouch if you don't mind me asking. I still agree with a comment above, it's not really necessary but fits nicely with the aiming.

I really like the idea of the occasional monster popping out of the trash can instead of trashure (and yes, feel free to use it as you see fit!).

Overall goal could be as simple as defeat X number of boss monsters to free the city of their stinky rule. Rescuing people along the way could be the way to score major points or something. I kind of like the idea of a single life, how far can you make it, kind of concept.

The 2600 can be unforgiving in terms of what you can't do, but use those limitations to squeeze out every last drop of what you can do and you'll have a great game.

:spidey:

Totally I was thinking something like Contra when I was thinking up ideas. It would be killer to have some more big bosses on the VCS. :)

You know, you keep triggering interesting ideas. lol When you say fly up to shoot it's head it made me think of something. Remember contra? how the bosses body was the background and it's head or arms would be like moving sprites to destroy. I can totally see flying on a jetpack and making a huge monster that way. It would be HUGE like a building as you say. HMM

• Like 1