IGNORED

Playstation 1 Flashback, worthwhile idea or pie in the sky?

coleco82

I missed the PS1 train in 1995 as I stuck with my SNES until the end. With the thousands of PS1 games made for it, would a flashback type of PS1 with built in games be worthwhile if AT Games or Hyperkin did it ? If it used epsxe ps1 emulation from the latest version 2.04 I think, it could be a winner.

Any thoughts ? If such a device existed here is a quick rundown of what I would want on it.

Crash Bandicoot 2Tekken 3Street Fighter Alpha 3Castlevania SOTNFinal Fantasy 7EinhanderWWF Smackdown 2KlonoaCrash Team RacingTwisted Metal 2Gran Turismo 2Ridge Racer Type 4andResident Evil 2

Sony has made it possible to play a wide range of their Playstation One originals on PSP, PS3, PSTV, and PSVita. They're cheap and they go on sale all the time.

Many of your favorite games are already in the store for no more than a few bucks apiece.

I missed the PS1 train in 1995 as I stuck with my SNES until the end. With the thousands of PS1 games made for it, would a flashback type of PS1 with built in games be worthwhile if AT Games or Hyperkin did it ? If it used epsxe ps1 emulation from the latest version 2.04 I think, it could be a winner.

Any thoughts ? If such a device existed here is a quick rundown of what I would want on it.

Crash Bandicoot 2 Tekken 3 Street Fighter Alpha 3 Castlevania SOTN Final Fantasy 7 Einhander WWF Smackdown 2 Klonoa Crash Team Racing Twisted Metal 2 Gran Turismo 2 Ridge Racer Type 4 and Resident Evil 2

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure if even today the hardware and games would be cheap enough to do something like that for $50 or whatever. Maybe $100. I'm sure someone's going to tell me the MIPS R3501 is like $1 in quantity these days, but I mean you've got to factor in the R&D of designing a custom board around it, licensing costs for the games (many of which are still profitable on their own), case and box design, profit, etc. to get to the final price. Plus a lot of PS1 games are a full CD's worth of data (some mentioned above, like FF7, are well more than a single CD) - if you figure 30 games that's about 21GB of required storage. That's not crazy anymore but it's going to increase the price; no Flashback type system has had anything close to that out of the box.

I don't necessarily think the availability of PS1 games in the PS Store is an impediment; Nintendo, Sega and Atari have all made their older games available multiple ways, including both digital downloads or separate software packages and standalone systems. It's just another revenue stream.

I have a feeling someday we'll see a PS1 Flashback, but probably not right around the corner.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I just thought with the snes classic coming out in September, this could happen years from now.

My guess is that Nintendo will go ahead with a N64 classic edition if the SNES Classic is actually available; and not dust in the wind after 1 month.

Perhaps someday there will be a Sega CD flashback or even a 3DO flashback, or even better a Sega Saturn Flashback.

I know what we will never see because it would be DOA, a Tiger Electronics LCD flashback. A system like that would be a LOL of epic proportions.