IGNORED

Game Boy Advance SP backlit screen mod?

So my son has been bugging me to play Mario vs Donkey Kong which means I have to dig out my DS from storage (I've long since run out of display space for my systems, time to look for a new house!). I'm a little reluctant because my DS is pretty much pristine and his first (and only) 3DS XL is a little rough around the edges (he's still learning how to have fun, but "preserve" for the future!).

Thing is I have an Advance SP that I stopped playing when I got the DS, and I wouldn't mind letting him have it. Only thing is it has the crappy screen, not the backlit one. Now I've never really looked into how or if I can mod the screen with a replacement, but I do remember the thing used to be people would swap the guts out from a backlit model into the SP they wanted to upgrade.

What I want to know is there an easier way to do this nowadays? I see all these replacement screen kits on eBay with the backlight but they all say "Game Boy Advance", and not the SP. Is there a replacement backlit screen out there I can swap into my old SP to replace the poorly lit one it has now?

All my googling comes up with is the original GB mod I mentioned above, nothing for the SP.

I always thought all GBA screens were interchangeable (aside from micro, duh). I know people were swapping SP backlit screens into the original GBA, so it seems to be the case. But doing that swap is one thing, I expect swapping a GBA SP screen to be a gigantic pain in the ass.

Here's an idea, if you want the easiest solution, why not get him a worm light? Then he could have a proper retro experience and appreciate the way things were back in your day.

• Like 1

You can take a 'brighter' 101 and shove it with a simple ribbon cable adapter into a stock original GBA, but I don't recall seeing someone pop one into a more common SP. Some people have hacked their way into stuffing that 101 panel into a GB Color, Pocket too if I recall.

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible or just no desire by people in general to bother doing it. I would want to think it could be done unless something really changed in there other than the panel and the differing behavior of the button for the lighting intensity.

Thing is I have an Advance SP that I stopped playing when I got the DS, and I wouldn't mind letting him have it. Only thing is it has the crappy screen, not the backlit one.

Aren't all GBA SP's backlit?? The original SP isn't as nice and bright as the "newer brighter screen" SP (ok to be honest, it's dim). But it's backlit nonetheless and definitely a lot better than the original GBA. As a matter of fact the middle button turns the backlight on/off

post-31-0-39864400-1498747154_thumb.jpg

If your goal is to play GBA games, I think best / easiest to get option,for that would be to find a regular old DS-Lite on the cheap somewhere. That plays GBA games excellently, and the screen is nice and bright. :)

post-31-0-13161100-1498747136_thumb.jpg

No, the original SP was frontlit with a small low light array of LEDs in front/around the panel which causes it to look dim and messes with the color quality too (which is why earlier GBA games had in some on the option screen custom palette switches for GBA, SP and SP#2. SP #2 (Brighter), GB Micro, and DS anything have been all backlit.

Also paying 130-150 for a 101 in a GBA is a ripoff, usually reserved to that crook 'godofgaming' on ebay who lies about having a discount slash on a made up price with that looking like a deal. If you try an open bid (or lucky BIN) format they can be had for $100 and up. That guy does shoddy work too, tried to get a lit up GBC a couple years back and he screwed it up twice, refused to take responsibility and blamed it on anything else possible (heat, the USPS, etc.)

• Like 1

Haha that's a poor example. I actually have a couple of the non-101 SPs and they're actually very viewable and easy to use, just not as bright and poppy as the back light model the SP2, DSLite, GB Micro share which is so bright and crisp.

I've got a beater purple GBA I found weeks ago for $2, and I've had a glacier one in fantastic shape. These days you can for about $50 buy a 101 kit with adapter cable already in it on ebay as a DIY project. I just lack the proper tools to bore out the inside of the GBA shell properly so I haven't done the job (again.) I had one I did awhile back, broke it because I did it with a lack of proper tools and the plastic pushed on the screen so much the first small drop on carpet cracked it. :(

Aren't all GBA SP's backlit?? The original SP isn't as nice and bright as the "newer brighter screen" SP (ok to be honest, it's dim). But it's backlit nonetheless and definitely a lot better than the original GBA. As a matter of fact the middle button turns the backlight on/off

attachicon.gif2017-06-29 10.33.13.jpg

Original SP's were frontlit, so its a reflective screen like the GBC / GBA footballs, with lights on the side, later models are backlit, those made after the micro came out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_SP#Backlit_Model_.28AGS-101.29

Edited by Osgeld

That's nicer. I wonder if I can get one with a strong glass screen?

Oh wait ... it's a chopped Lite, which means the cartridge would hang out the lower slot like some great black plastic rectangular phallus. Do not want.

Looks cute in bowling ball sparkly green though. Nice spray job. http://gameboymacro.com/product/macro-acid-green-top-burnt-orange-bottom-micro-usb-charging-7/

I originally bought a ds lite for GBA gaming,but the slot being at the bottom bothered me, and the screen is a smaller size (granted higher resolution) than the GBA or GBA sp.

I can't recall who I bought my modded GBA from, but I can tell you it works really well and is a nice, high quality unit. It sips double AA's... barely uses them, with a long battery life even using rechargables.

To each their own. Lots of good ways to play GBA!

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

attachicon.gif2017-06-29 10.33.13.jpg

If your goal is to play GBA games, I think best / easiest to get option,for that would be to find a regular old DS-Lite on the cheap somewhere. That plays GBA games excellently, and the screen is nice and bright. :)

attachicon.gif2017-06-29 10.34.51.jpg

Yeah, no, see I've already got a DS, just don't want to give it up for my son to play with. Like I stated, he's still a little "rough" on his toys. Plus again I have an SP already, just wanted to replace the crappy screen.

So based on what everyone has posted it looks like the only way to go would be the AGS-101 swap still, which really makes me wonder was the original Advance that much more popular than the SP that came after it? Its the only thing that makes sense to me as to why I can go on eBay and find a dozen or more backlit replacement screens to replace the original Game Boy Advance screen, yet no backlit kits for the SP.

Unless the hardware changed so much on the SP from the original, but still, boggles my mind that I can't do a screen swap to really give games that visual "pop" you get from the AGS-101 screen.

which really makes me wonder was the original Advance that much more popular than the SP that came after it?

I personally dislike the SP as its way too narrow for ma man hanz, I like the football, and even before the SP models came out I got a china mod to hook it up to a TV, since I actually rarely used the stupid thing outside the house, beyond nerd parties

the original football model was pretty much my main gaming console for a couple few years before the PS2 came out and I could afford it living by my self pulling a job and college at the same time heh

I don't care for the format of the sp. Their the thin. I think that's why screen mods are largely done to the original GBA. Got the best feel, there more durable, and cheap ($20-$50 range)

I still have my afterburner modded original somewhere, but the screen is similar to the mk1sp. If I could get the ribbon adapter to hook an sp2 screen I'd mod one of my other GBA originals. I don't have PayPal though and as near as I can tell, you can only get it on eBay.

I got the dip in the battery bay so you can turn off the light if you want to, but I rarely do.

I looooove the form factor of the folding SP with the bright screen. I wish Nintendo (or someone else) would remake it with USB charging and a headphone jack.

It seems like the right hong for a kid who is hard on electronics. Fold up the screen when not in use and it won't get smashed.