IGNORED

Atari 800XL on VGA :)

6 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Totally, we need makes and models so people know what svideo equipped TV's work with A8 svideo outputs. Quoting PAL or NTSC would probably help also.

The TV is an LG Model No: 22LG30-UA, it appears to be NTSC only, although I am certain there is a PAL variant. The manual is available at https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-22LG30.AUS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got this one from Amazon for $21, and unlike one that looked similar on eBay, this one works for PAL as well as NTSC, whereas the eBay one only produced B&W and couldn't even sync properly in PAL.

1145015062_SAmazoncomeSynicRCACompositeAVS-VideotoVGAConverterBox.thumb.png.eadeb3c18bbc2433686912cc7f958ceb.png

Notice that the VGA comes out the end, and not the side like the ones you normally see on eBay.

Out of all the cheap converters I've bought, this one looks the closest to what I would see with straight S-Video feeding my Sharp Multi-Sync LCD monitor.

These are the best captures I could get from my Sony VGA LCD screen using a digital camera. In reality there is less contrast and the overall image is a bit brighter and sharper when viewed in person.

PAL S-Video converted to 60Hz VGA

PAL_ACP_VGA.png.a00ae6444824af0e4530e0874d9c44af.png

PAL S-Video converted to 60Hz VGA (click on image to enlarge - gradient caused by camera)

PAL_BASIC_VGA.thumb.png.a89fa700d1023ddbb6b44390692b80a3.png

Keep in mind that these cheaper converters will not correctly render FlickerTerm, producing shifted back and forth alternating lines instead. However for most programs that don't employ this trickery to increase resolution, this converter works pretty darn good.

Note: the converter takes the Atari's 50Hz PAL signal and automatically converts it to 60Hz so that it works with my US VGA monitor.

• Like 2

@mytekI had one that looks identical to that one (I still have it somewhere), and it did work pretty well, as you say that one does. The one I had quit working after a year or so though. Hopefully your converter lasts longer than my version did, but for the price you can just buy a back-up or two.

That's when I bought my Ambery AV-8 (based on owner experience with Ambery's AV-1 RGB-to-VGA converter) video/S-video-to-VGA about a decade ago that has been wonderful and it works with PAL/NTSC and even displays Flickerterm 80 correctly. Though my Ambery has two modes, one that up-scales the image and does other filtering and one that is the straight, unadulterated video signal, and I forget which mode Flickerterm 80 works correctly in, but I think it's with up-scaling and filtering on.

These converters average about $75-100, IIRC, though. Both it and the RGB one have worked flawlessly for more than a decade. But, I've been told that the updated replacement models that Ambery sells now have issues with older PAL signals.

Only my PAL 1200XL still uses the VGA converter, now that my PAL 800 has Sophia 2.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chevymad said:

@mytek Do you know if that convertor work with vbxe output?

No it's strictly made to convert either composite or S-Video (luma/chroma) to VGA. VBXE has an RGB based output - a totally different animal.

• Like 1

I got one of these scalers, on the A8 using svideo it's absolutely hopeless, with most of the coroma information lost and a generally really bad picture via RGB.

On the C64, the picture is good, but it overlaps the RHS of the screen so badly that half the image actually appears on the LHS of the screen with a big gap in the middle - Once again, via svideo to RGB.

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I got one of these scalers, on the A8 using svideo it's absolutely hopeless, with most of the coroma information lost and a generally really bad picture via RGB.

On the C64, the picture is good, but it overlaps the RHS of the screen so badly that half the image actually appears on the LHS of the screen with a big gap in the middle - Once again, via svideo to RGB.

If you are referring to the Amazon VGA converter I posted about, you might have missed what I wrote... I had previously gotten one from eBay that was totally worthless on the Atari. However this particular one I got from Amazon works very well, which BTW is distinguishable from the bad ones by the fact that the VGA OUT is on the long end, and not on the side like what's pictured below.

BAD CONVERTER

1492967987_Screenshot_2021-05-08eBay.png.329c4a8af904953576919dfa687bd39a.png

I repeat, the working one from Amazon had the VGA OUT coming out on the end that's shown as VGA IN on this bad one.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the VGA monitor you use will need to have vertical and horizontal adjustments in ordered to get the picture centered, and it really should be 4:3 aspect ratio for the best experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mytek said:

If you are referring to the Amazon VGA converter I posted about, you might have missed what I wrote... I had previously gotten one from eBay that was totally worthless on the Atari. However this particular one I got from Amazon works very well, which BTW is distinguishable from the bad ones by the fact that the VGA OUT is on the long end, and not on the side like what's pictured below.

BAD CONVERTER

1492967987_Screenshot_2021-05-08eBay.png.329c4a8af904953576919dfa687bd39a.png

I repeat, the working one from Amazon had the VGA OUT coming out on the end that's shown as VGA IN on this bad one.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the VGA monitor you use will need to have vertical and horizontal adjustments in ordered to get the picture centered, and it really should be 4:3 aspect ratio for the best experience.

That looks identical to the one I got, except that one has what looks like DIP switches on the side. However I needed VGA out to a modern monitor and for that purpose via svideo (didn't even try composite) it was useless.

Quick thanks @mytek for the pics of the monitor output for the converter. I have had that exact Sony monitor for a long time and always kept it around past its’ original use becuase I always liked it and thought it was a nice display (it came with a Sony computer package a long time ago which i still have but sits in the attic). I’ve tried a few different solutions for getting my 800xl to various monitors/screens but never wholly satisfied with any of them. Just grabbed that converter box off Amazon and hope to have the same experience you’ve shown.

4 hours ago, mckafka99 said:

Quick thanks @mytek for the pics of the monitor output for the converter. I have had that exact Sony monitor for a long time and always kept it around past its’ original use becuase I always liked it and thought it was a nice display (it came with a Sony computer package a long time ago which i still have but sits in the attic). I’ve tried a few different solutions for getting my 800xl to various monitors/screens but never wholly satisfied with any of them.

I have two of those 17" Sony monitors, as well one larger 19" version. Got them all from thrift stores over the last 3 years. The 19" version is fairly common on eBay, but the 17" ones are far and few between. I think they also made a 15" version as well. They are indeed a very nice monitor (hard to beat Sony quality), and they have a very cool look, and come in either a brushed silver or black trim.

1061097597_Screenshot_2021-05-09sonysdmeBay.png.0318b3660944f76b20ddc4d14b683e3c.png

Sony SDM-HS75P/B 17" LCD Monitor

4 hours ago, mckafka99 said:

Just grabbed that converter box off Amazon and hope to have the same experience you’ve shown.

I hope that works well for you. Keep in mind the better the quality of the signal you feed it, the better will be your results.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mytek said:

I have two of those 17" Sony monitors, as well one larger 19" version. Got them all from thrift stores over the last 3 years. The 19" version is fairly common on eBay, but the 17" ones are far and few between. I think they also made a 15" version as well. They are indeed a very nice monitor (hard to beat Sony quality), and they have a very cool look, and come in either a brushed silver or black trim.

1061097597_Screenshot_2021-05-09sonysdmeBay.png.0318b3660944f76b20ddc4d14b683e3c.png

Sony SDM-HS75P/B 17" LCD Monitor

I hope that works well for you. Keep in mind the better the quality of the signal you feed it, the better will be your results.

Brushed silver would certainly fit the brushed metal trim of the XL line. Black would go look good sitting on top of my Indus GT's for my 800. I'd like to get a 4:3 ratio LCD like that for the 800 and program my Sophia 2 for VGA. I'm tired of the wide-screen LCD TV's I've been using with either letter-boxing or or stretched images. But, for my 1200XL I absolutely love  the sharpness and color I get from the Supervideo 2.1 upgrade, especially with CRT, I must get back to either straight up Chroma/Luma on my repaired 1084S CRT monitor, or going through my video-to-VGA converter to a quality Sony Trinitron CRT 4:3 VGA monitor. I'll look into one of these Sony's for my 800 though...

• 1 year later...

I just published a new post to my blog where I mentioned the Atariage Forum, and specifically this thread that helped me troubleshoot my problem over a year ago. Thanks to everyone that makes this Forum possible, and all that share their experience and knowledge! Anyone interested can read my blog post at CodeSurferDev Blog - Atari 800 Part 2