IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Doom music through the cd attachment?

bigusschmuck

This may sound crazy, but would it be possible to pipe the music for Doom through the CD attachment via audio CD? I recall reading something about the PC Engine CD rom attachment this was considered for Street Fighter 2, just an interesting thought if it is at all possible. It could even rip the music from the 3DO version and be the ultimate Doom port! :P

I think the homebrew game Pier Solar for sega genesis had a cart version that could play an accompanying soundtrack CD inserted into the sega CD for background music. The program on the cart would send signals for when to play certain tracks on the music CD so it was a more game-like experience than simply putting the soundtrack CD into a separate CD player in the same room while you are playing. Of course I'm a fan of this method, using the 3DO expansion deck for the Jaguar ;)

• Like 1

I think the homebrew game Pier Solar for sega genesis had a cart version that could play an accompanying soundtrack CD inserted into the sega CD for background music. The program on the cart would send signals for when to play certain tracks on the music CD so it was a more game-like experience than simply putting the soundtrack CD into a separate CD player in the same room while you are playing. Of course I'm a fan of this method, using the 3DO expansion deck for the Jaguar ;)

That's pretty clever. I'm almost willing to go the distance and purchase myself a 3do just to do this. :P lol

I can confirm that is indeed the case. I have the game and water melons OST compilation which includes that disc. They also released it for free download and burn on your own cd. I wonder if that thing is possible on the jag though. I know nothing of hardware and programming. Would be kinda cool though, if the jag cd could load the music it needed and didnt continously play. No need to wear it out prematurely.

The cd unit doesn't physically block the cart port since it has its own. Various other programs utilize the cart port and cd unit at the same time such as the cd games that use the memory cart and that protector cd expansion that requires the cart version of the game. I guess it comes down to whether the program calls for that kind of usage and whether the jag hardware could do something like stream cdda whole playing doom, which maybe it wouldn't have ram to spare for.

the jaguar cd is not a stand alone unit as with the sega-cd which has its own processor.

the jaguar cd require the DSP cpu to periodically get audio data from the cd to output to the speakers

this require some DSP cpu power, if Jaguar doom use the DSP for graphic computation, then it might slow down the game

if that is the case, maybe that's why Jaguar doom don't have sound, because it require power from both GPU & DSP for computing the graphics

• Like 6