IGNORED

Sega Genesis needs both RF AND A/V Cable in order to show picture and sound

MrAnonymous

Hi,

My Sega Genesis acts weird and as of my knowledge I haven't heard any other cases of this. So in order for my Genesis to show a picture and sound, it needs to have both A/V cable and the RF cable plugged in and connected to the TV for it to work. I change the TV to AV1, and I plug in the AV and the RF and it works. I tried testing this and I disconnected the RF cable, and I lost Audio and Video. I put it back in, then went to the AV cable. I pulled out the yellow video cable and I lost video. I put that back in and took out the audio plug and I lost audio. I pretty sure it's not the TV because I have to do the same thing on another TV. The reason I say pretty sure is because these TV's are flat-screens, as I don't own any CRTs. If this problem can't be fixed, it's O.K. because I can still play, but I'd like to have it fixed because the picture doesn't look the best and It's a pain having all those cords coming out of the Genesis and then untangling them when I put it away and so forth.

Thanks,

MrAnonymous.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i haven't a clue why pulling RF would cause that, but yellow is video and white is audio and RF is channel 3 or 4 NTSC, so see if your TV has analog scan too (most do)

And try a different AV cable if you cant get analog TV as it might not be properly grounded now that i think about it and that would cause the stated issues.

Well, i haven't a clue why pulling RF would cause that, but yellow is video and white is audio and RF is channel 3 or 4 NTSC, so see if your TV has analog scan too (most do)

And try a different AV cable if you cant get analog TV as it might not be properly grounded now that i think about it and that would cause the stated issues.

O.K., can you get new AV cables for cheap?

Only thing I can think of...is that a common ground either in the TVs or on the genesis isn't in place and by connecting up the others, you complete the ground that is needed for the signals to come through.

Just so I understand...

Plug in RF by itself to the COAX ANT input on your TV and tune it into channel 3 etc...and you get just a no signal? Or just a black screen?

Plug in the AV cable to the Genesis and plug the yellow to the AV comp input and the audio to the audio input and then the RF on the COAX ANT will work?

Then the opposite...if you plug in just the AV cable from the genesis so that yellow is on comp video in on the TV and the audio is on the audio in on the TV and then switch to AV on the TV you get... black screen? no signal?

Plug the RF into the COAX ANT in on the TV and then AV works?

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of...is that a common ground either in the TVs or on the genesis isn't in place and by connecting up the others, you complete the ground that is needed for the signals to come through.

Just so I understand...

Plug in RF by itself to the COAX ANT input on your TV and tune it into channel 3 etc...and you get just a no signal? Or just a black screen?

Plug in the AV cable to the Genesis and plug the yellow to the AV comp input and the audio to the audio input and then the RF on the COAX ANT will work?

Then the opposite...if you plug in just the AV cable from the genesis so that yellow is on comp video in on the TV and the audio is on the audio in on the TV and then switch to AV on the TV you get... black screen? no signal?

Plug the RF into the COAX ANT in on the TV and then AV works?

Yes, I haven't tried just using an RF box, but I'd assume that would work. But otherwise you got it right.