IGNORED

Reason to get a ps3?

Video

I was thinking about getting a ps3. I got a ps4 but its not BC at all, and to much updates on an i internet connection that to limited to handle that. I mean I need a replacement 360 I'll definitely get, but I still want one of these too.

What types of games? I got a few, twisted metal and little big planet interest me. What other features does it have? Can I hook one to an older TV (not HDMI, even though I'll likely use a newer TV lol) they took off BC, or partly or something right? Gameswise I'm probably more interested in e,clusives, unless a game I want, or don't already have is easier to acquire on here.

Is its online patches similar to 360, better or more out of control? I know it can't be as bad as ps4, and if I get better internet is there still a community for it?

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

I really like the PS3. Lots of games, lots of exclusives. (Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games) Playing Blu Ray movies is probably it's biggest feature over the 360. You can also access Netflix and Hulu on it.

As for games, I particularly liked the Uncharted and Infamous series, as well as the Little Big Planet games you mentioned. Yes, you can still hook it up to an older TV with a composite cables if you like. All PS3's can play PS1 games which is nice. The very earliest models could also play PS2 games so it might be worth it to look for one of those (the 20GB and 60GB models) if you're interested.

Patches are somewhat annoying, perhaps not as fast to install as the 360, but at least there probably won't be many new ones at this point. Someone else will have to fill you in on the current online situation... I've never been personally interested in online gaming.

Hope this helps a bit.

BC for the PS2 was taken off early. Only the original units had hardware-BC. The 80gig units, some of them at least, had software-BC. Past that the only BC PS3s have had were with the PS1.

You can use A/V or whatever it is instead of hdmi - I think ps3s shipped with those types of cables in fact. You won't be able to get high res without hdmi however.

I don't know how the online community is for multiplayer on PS3 is these days, but at least online multiplayer on the PS3 is still free - you don't need to be a paid Plus member. (Although you do need Plus for multiplayer on the PS4)

There are a lot of exclusives on the PS3, although how that works out for you will depend on your preference. On the other hand getting most PS3 games is fairly cheap and affordable. While the digital prices have stayed up more so than physical, as per expectations, there's still weekly sales and a monthly flash sale around the middle of the month for stocking up on digital titles.

I bought a PS3 after enjoying the PS4 sequels to some franchise games like Far Cry, GTA, ect. I never had a PS3 previous to buying this one. I only have a handful of games for the PS3 but seeing as the console can be had so cheap now (versus when it was new) it was worth it just to play those few games. I bought one of the original models so I have the luxury of bc with PS2 and PS1 games on top of that for the couple games I like from those machines also. Again, it's only a couple titles from the PS1 & PS2 that I'm into but with an all-in-one like the first gen of the PS3 machines I'm happy to grab the odd PS1 & PS2 titles I like. Even if you get one of the newer PS3 models that won't play PS2 titles you can still use it to play PS1 games.

We finally broke down and grabbed one as a mutual Christmas gift. Got the system and a flat screen to hook it up to for $100. (I stay a 'generation' or two behind for obvious reasons, been doing it this way for nearly 40 years and it's always suited me well -- wait/REAP/repeat.)

I've been steadily gathering games for it as it sits under it's dust cover, trying to build a sort of 'best of' before I get down to any actual gaming. We've got maybe 50 games so far, not paid more than $5 for any of 'em. Good stuff, too; games that folks were losing their shit over and gladly dropping $50 each for just a few years ago, heh.....ohhhhhh, impatient consumers, tsk tsk tsk....

• Like 1

I've still got my PS3 down in my living room next to my PS4. There are a few games that the PS4 doesn't have, notably Rocksmith (I think it's getting it but only as a download?), some of the Final Fantasies, Soul Calibur, the Burnout series, Ridge Racer, Silent Hill, SSX, I mean I'm just looking at my cabinet right now at what I actually have in front of me, there are tons more.

Graphics still hold up pretty well too. Some consoles just have a "clean" look to their graphics, and I think the PS3 was the first Sony console to have that. So the graphics might always look good, even though they're obviously not as complex as stuff today.

• Like 1

Over the years I've grown to really like the PS3. The ability to play three gens worth of games on one system is hard to beat. You can pick up older used AAA tiltes for $5 or less too. That's an insane deal for the quality. Some of my favorites:

Max Payne 3- Fantastic graphics and really well done

Uncharted series- Great graphics and very fun to play

Gran Turismo- Must have for racing fans

I agree. I was able to get all 3 of them out of the $2 bin at a local pawn and happily handed him the $5 for all 3. Yes, I asked and got a $1 off for buying three $2 games :grin:

Over the years I've grown to really like the PS3. The ability to play three gens worth of games on one system is hard to beat. You can pick up older used AAA tiltes for $5 or less too. That's an insane deal for the quality. Some of my favorites:

Max Payne 3- Fantastic graphics and really well done

Gran Turismo- Must have for racing fans

Indeed. A lot of these came in '4-for-$10' groupings. 8)

post-61233-0-48994300-1499372454_thumb.jpg

One day I plan on actually PLAYING them!

• Like 2

Of yeah, I LOVE infamous for the ps4 I'll definitely get those. I played that fully through on each difficulty as good and evil, if it wasn't for an update that broke one of the achievements I would have 100% that one.

May be time to look up some more games.

How do you save psx games? Does it have card ports or use its HDD?

After trying to play DL games on ps4 I'd not do that again. What's wrong with putting a game on your console so it would work?

Of yeah, I LOVE infamous for the ps4 I'll definitely get those. I played that fully through on each difficulty as good and evil, if it wasn't for an update that broke one of the achievements I would have 100% that one.

After trying to play DL games on ps4 I'd not do that again. What's wrong with putting a game on your console so it would work?

Since you have a PS4 its worth mentioning that you can use PS4 controllers on the PS3. If you have a Vita you can back the system up on the PS3 too.

It saves to the HDD (I think the first version may have had card slots; someone can correct me). I put in a cheap laptop hard drive, and mine is FULL of a zillion PSN exclusives, PSX games I don't own in real life, arcade games and PS2 games I don't own in real life. On top of that, the PS3 is a terrific media server when partnered up with your computer and a good server program like Universal Media Server or Plex.

I enjoy the PS3, but updates/patches can be really annoying. Obviously it was more annoying a few years ago, but you can still come across stuff that takes forever to get running. Just picked up GT5 XL Edition a few weeks ago, and the game wanted to install 2GBs of system files. I thought, "Okay, no biggie". Then, the game needed to install 16 freaking updates, and this is the XL Edition, which you would think would have everything already on the disc. After that, the game wanted to install 8GBs of data so it could load up everything quicker. Two or three hours later, I was finally playing Gran Turismo 5.

I could list dozens of games that make the PS3 a completely must-have system, but in the interest of being concise:

Ni no Kuni

You're welcome!

This, and if you are into rpgs at all, it is still the system to get.

Be very wary of consoles that have hardware BC. They are old and more prone to failure... the right side to the drive can get really hot. PS3 slim is a better bet.

Funny how the pulled BC and then introduced digital PS 2 classics that can be played on any PS3. Always wondered if they pulled BC just to make people pay for the same games again down the road.

This, and if you are into rpgs at all, it is still the system to get.

Be very wary of consoles that have hardware BC. They are old and more prone to failure... the right side to the drive can get really hot. PS3 slim is a better bet.

Funny how the pulled BC and then introduced digital PS 2 classics that can be played on any PS3. Always wondered if they pulled BC just to make people pay for the same games again down the road.

Makes sense. They had to drop the $600 price somehow and getting rid of an extra processor for BC was probably a large chunk of it. After that the only option was to offer downloadable versions. I still want to get a BC version one day but a lot are dead now due to improper working environment and maintenance.

You had to wonder about this? I pretty much took it as a given.

Kinda like how they added a ps2 emulator of sorts into the ps4 a few updates back but it's not something for you to use but rather for the ps2 games you buy in the store to use.

You had to wonder about this? I pretty much took it as a given.

Kinda like how they added a ps2 emulator of sorts into the ps4 a few updates back but it's not something for you to use but rather for the ps2 games you buy in the store to use.

What they should have done is let people insert their PS2 discs of said emulated games to initiate a digital download of these emulated titles if they had previously purchased the games

Sony is now reselling them for a second time. I wasn't impressed to have to buy manhunt twice. I'm sure there are millions of people who have purchased most of these super popular games they are now presenting as "PS2 on PS4" digital downloads who deserve to be able to play those ps2 games on their ps4's for free as they already paid a decade ago.

What they should have done is let people insert their PS2 discs of said emulated games to initiate a digital download of these emulated titles if they had previously purchased the games

Sony is now reselling them for a second time. I wasn't impressed to have to buy manhunt twice. I'm sure there are millions of people who have purchased most of these super popular games they are now presenting as "PS2 on PS4" digital downloads who deserve to be able to play those ps2 games on their ps4's for free as they already paid a decade ago.

I agree, but you know the tired old excuse they'll give of "piracy" and all that. (You know, people would borrow someone else's ps2 game and put it in their ps3 to get a "free" download.)

I'd be fine with the download approach even if they required the original disc to be in the drive to start it up. Otherwise, just read and run from the disc itself.

As for me, I've already rebought several ps2 games back on the ps3. In some cases for convenience, in other cases because I just never had the game in question back. In all cases I got them during flash sales for 2-4 dollars each tops. Point being, I've already rebought the games. I'm not rebuying them yet again. Seriously, at the very least Sony should let people that already bought the game on the ps3 to redownload any ps4 version for free.

• 9 months later...

The PS3 is EXCELLENT. I wish I still had one. It is on my list of eventual pickups. I was extremely addicted to Super Stardust HD and my wife still yearns for Toy Home. And of course there are a zillion great retail games for the thing...and they can be had cheap now.