IGNORED

Odyssey 100-5000 Schematics

Dastari Creel

That makes sense for Tank II, but presumably Tank was earlier, so I wonder why that one was scrapped.

I suspect Tank and Tank II were concurrent. AFAIK I've only seen Tank referenced in Sears catalogs, while Tank II was the Atari product. They may have even been the same system--I don't recall ever hearing about Atari developing two different Tank consoles. But then, in the promo materials it looked like Tank II played a game looking an awful lot like the Tank games in Combat for the VCS, while a screen rendering of Tank in a Sears catalog looked like the games of the Coleco Combat (presumably using the same chip).

I really don't know what to make of these.

And now I'm surprised that there doesn't appear to be a twin-lead to composite adapter out there. The twin-lead to coax adapter is fine for me, since I have an old TV, but I may want to look into creating something like that myself just for people who have newer TV's, but don't want to mod their antique consoles.

Update: I now have the schematics to all of the Odyssey units except for the 4000. For whatever reason my source didn't have that one. They also thought that they had the 300, but seem to have misplaced it, so the only version of the 300 that I have is the photograph that someone took of one for me. I'm hoping to replace it with a greater quality one at some point, and need to find any 4000 in the wild. I hope Sly uploads his soon, so that I can compare. Either way, the best quality copies that I can find will be available from my website.

Now, though, because I'm an insane completist I'm off on an Ahab like quest to track down the service manual for the model 4305 television. It must have one. There's no way that Magnavox sunk in the cost to make a TV with a built in video game system and not have a service manual. The question is, have any of them survived the test of time? Seeing as how it didn't take me too long to find the Odyssey schematics I'm optomistic that this may survive somewhere.

Ended up finding the 4305 schematic under T991-20-AA. I'm not sure where the 4305 number comes from, but this is apparently how Magnavox recorded its model. That's opposed to all the other T991 model TV's. I ended up getting two service manuals, one for all their other T991 models and one for the T991-20-AA. The second one was the one with the built-in Odyssey. Thank you Sly for tipping me off on the T991 model number.

So now the Odyssey 4000 is the only one I'm missing (unless a 5000 prototype schematic exists), but I could really use a higher quality 300.