IGNORED

Mouse in the House! (wip)

For those that don't follow my blog, I've begun work on an Odyssey 2 puzzle game inspired by Chu Chu Rocket called, well, you know. The object of the game is to complete all the levels. I have a first level done here. If you beat it, that's pretty much the end, the lines will turn to garbage and an unplayable level will present itself because I haven't programmed anything after level 1. Use the joystick to move the up tile. If the cat or mouse touch the tile, they will go in the direction it's pointing (in this case, up.) Otherwise, once they hit a wall, they will move right. To start the motion when you think the tile is in the right spot, press the Action button. Don't let the mouse touch the cat, though. Otherwise, you'll go back to the placing the tile part of the level. Anyway, let me know what you think.

mouse9a.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Added new stuff:

+ You now have to press 01-07 to go to mazes. I did this because I plan to have more than 9 mazes in the game.

+ Changed "end" to a piece of cheese.

+ Refined cat and mouse collision code.

(For those of you without a Dreamcast, "Chu Chu Rocket" is also available on the GBA.)

mouse17.bin

I changed the name of the game to Cat vs. Rat. Why? So it could be displayed on the title screen. I also added an 8th puzzle and refined the cat and mouse collision code some more. Press Action on the title screen to go to the puzzle selection screen. I have about 300 bytes left to put mazes in. My goal is for 20 mazes, but I don't know if I have enough room for that many. I suppose I could make it 4k, but I don't know if I will or not.

mouse21.bin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
In 2.1 the rat and cat collision doesn't work (at least not all the time), the mouse and cat go right through each other. This collision detection worked in 1.7. I'm playing this on a real Odyssey 2 if that matters.

It's possible for the rat to be stuck in an infinite loop, but maybe this is only because the collission detection isn't working? I think you mentioned in your blog an option to press the action button or another button to restart the maze. If that gets implemented that would solve this problem.

It's a fun little logic game as is, but if you wanted to add some competitiveness/replayability you could either add a timer that counts up to see how long it takes you to solve a maze or a timer that counts down (for example you must get the cheese in 30 seconds or you lose). With the second option you could have different difficulty levels (like level 1 gives you 30 seconds/maze, 2 = 45 seconds, etc.). Lastly, instead of picking the mazes having them play in a random order one after another would help to keep the game moving and keep you guessing a little more on how to solve the next maze (especially coupled with a timer). Then it'd be a competition to see if you could solve all the mazes in a row. Maybe save the toughest maze to always/only be the last maze like a boss ending.

Of course I've never programmed an O2 game, so I have no idea how difficult it'd be to implement any of those ideas. As I said before it's fun as is, but after beating all the levels once there's not much incentive to come back and do it again (although in my old age if I wait a couple months they'll probably all seem new to me again :).

Thanks for telling me about the collisions not working. I took some time and made the collisions between the cat and rat work again. Let me know what you think.

Collisions work now, so does the action button to restart the level. Thanks again for making this, I enjoy logic/puzzle games.

Edited by jimj

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a really neat puzzle game that plays well to the Odyssey²'s limitations... or should I say knack for games that contain mazes! Regardless, it's again cool to see non-standard characters being used for game graphics and I could see this being an ongoing title with more mazes as you come up with ones that work.

Thanks again for another cool title for this platform!