IGNORED

Finally upgraded my Hard Drive tonight to a SDD

Punisher5.0

Finally did it after using the original 40GB one since day one. Went with a 240 gig SSD. It was kind of a PITA setting it up but once I found the correct info it was a breeze (thank jeebus for google). I'm already seeing benefits. The menu is unbelievably faster now. Plus now I can finally have enough room to download the updates for GT6.

I was impressed with how open Sony is with the PS3. You can back up your games and your saves to a USB stick. That was very convenient for swapping the drive out.

• Like 5

I have my original 60GB still in mine, is there a good tutorial on how to do this somewhere? Have been too intimidated to do mine out of fear of losing data, etc.

Where did you get the 240 GB SSD? Can you list which one you used so we know whats compatible, or is there a list somewhere? Would probably like to go to 500GB if I could so I never have to mess with it again.

It's funny Mark Wolfe (on AA) modded my original Xbox, which has a 500GB hard drive right now, but my PS3 which came out 6 years later has only 60GB...lol. I really need to get around to this ASAP.

Any 2.5" SATA drive will work. This is the one I used: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-SDSSDA-240G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01F9G43WU&pd_rd_r=81R4JEJ2RX4SDWD69JGZ&pd_rd_w=FHtMm&pd_rd_wg=EyToC&psc=1&refRID=81R4JEJ2RX4SDWD69JGZ There are bigger versions of it that will work just fine.

As far as losing data you don't have to worry about that. Just back all your saves up on one more USB storage devices. You don't have to delete the data off the original drive so it will still be there.

I basically figured it out how to swap the data myself. It's really easy to do when you know how to label the files. I can help you out if you get one.

I did this a few years ago way way faster I think I posted my findings here on a thread, skyrim is very noticeable improvement Etc

My last and final PS3 is the super slim with no hard drive I think I paid 80 bucks for it, I picked up a 500gb SSD for it and it's still my primary PS3

• Like 1

Is there a way to do this and carry forward games that you have via game sharing?

I have Gran Turismo HD via this method, which was a freebie that was delisted by 2008 when I bought my PS3. Not a big loss if I couldn't, but I'd love to carry it forward without bothering the nice guy at another forum that let me download it from his account back in the days when Sony actually encouraged game sharing.

80 gigs of storage like my first PS3 has is awfully restrictive these days and I don't have room now to install larger disc releases thanks to so many downloads on it.

Edited by Atariboy

Is there a way to do this and carry forward games that you have via game sharing?

I have Gran Turismo HD via this method, which was a freebie that was delisted by 2008 when I bought my PS3. Not a big loss if I couldn't, but I'd love to carry it forward without bothering the nice guy at another forum that let me download it from his account back in the days when Sony actually encouraged game sharing.

80 gigs of storage like my first PS3 has is awfully restrictive these days and I don't have room now to install larger disc releases thanks to so many downloads on it.

I'd imagine but I'm not 100% sure. When you do a back up it saves your games and PSN info. The only thing that I noticed it wouldn't save was the firmware which is obviously good for a lot of people. Or you can just clone the drive and it will for sure 100% work.

• 6 months later...

I have to get an IDE drive for my 60 GB 1st gen PS3 fat. Anyone think I can get a 1TB drive in there or am I better off going with a 500GB 3.5 IDE drive.

Thanks. Luckily the firmware is on the chipset and i'll just have to upgrade the OS and re-download my games. I'll lose some saves but...oh well. Will be nice to have the extra space.

I have to get an IDE drive for my 60 GB 1st gen PS3 fat. Anyone think I can get a 1TB drive in there or am I better off going with a 500GB 3.5 IDE drive.

You will want a SATA drive, not IDE. Also 2.5", not 3.5". I'm unsure on the 1TB, but I don't see why not.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good 2.5" Sata 1 TB drive or at least brand? Thanks...so many options

post-38373-0-09546000-1518014024_thumb.jpg

Does anyone see any reason this HDD wouldn't work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Blue-1TB-Internal-2-5-6Gb-s-SATA-Laptop-Hard-Drive-WD10JPCX/222821668265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited by travistouchdown

Can anyone recommend a good 2.5" Sata 1 TB drive or at least brand? Thanks...so many options

Does anyone see any reason this HDD wouldn't work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Blue-1TB-Internal-2-5-6Gb-s-SATA-Laptop-Hard-Drive-WD10JPCX/222821668265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Any of the major manufacturers should be fine: Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, HGST, Samsung, etc. There will always be bad drives, no matter the manufacturer. It's probably more important that you have a warranty, so that you can exchange the drive if you have to.

The WD one that you link to has a one year seller's warranty, so that's definitely good. Although you may want to ask the seller what the warranty covers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Put the 1TB hard drive in as an "afternoon" project yesterday.

This article, and the second linked at the bottom contain everything you need to know.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+3+Hard+Drive+Replacement/3476

It seriously took about 5 minutes to do the physical work, and about 30 for the OS to update from an SD card and to restore my system backup.

I should have done this a long time ago...it feels bad-ass to have so much storage in the ole' FAT PS3 :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm curious if you found the answer to this question; did you try upgrading your drive, and if so, did the backup carry forward delisted content?