IGNORED

Setup complete

panama800

Atari 850 uses older type serial cable with male connector end. If you have or can find a standard IBM PC type db9 to db25 serial cable, you will need a gender changer for the db9 end. Or just buy new old stock Atari CX-87 modem cable from B & C ComputerVisions.

ebay link: goo.gl/zTD4W1

Edit: Nice looking collection, by the way. :)

Edited by RodLightning

Best has the cable listed for $12 here http://best-electronics-ca.com/modems.htm

If I recall, the 850, PR connection, MIO etc serial ports used a non-standard pinout. (compared to IBM pc, atari st etc) I recall making my own cables referencing pinouts from product doumentation.

Edit: maybe I'm thinking of the 15 pin parallel port.. the DB9's may be standard

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 1

Best has the cable listed for $12 here http://best-electronics-ca.com/modems.htm

If I recall, the 850, PR connection, MIO etc serial ports used a non-standard pinout. (compared to IBM pc, atari st etc) I recall making my own cables referencing pinouts from product doumentation.

Edit: maybe I'm thinking of the 15 pin parallel port.. the DB9's may be standard

They're not. :) I just went through this exercise a few months ago to connect my P:R:Connection to a Lantronix box. I ended up using a CX-87 Terminal Cable and a DB25 gender changer on the Lantronix box. Works a treat.

• Like 1

Best won't do credit card orders under like $20 or $25 or something like that.

Edit: nice setup, but it looks like you put it in a closet, it should be the showplace piece in your formal living room! ?

Edited by toddtmw
  • Like 2

No, you are correct. The IBM cables are in fact wired differently. According to my ICD P:R: Connection manual, pins 1-4 are different. Forget about using a IBM serial cable unless you want to cut/splice some wires. Probably easier to buy the Atari cable or build your own.

The DB9 pinout for ICD P:R: connection is as follows. IIRC, the 850 has the same on it's primary serial port(s).

1 - DTR - Data Terminal Ready

2 - CRX - Carrier Detect

3 - XMT - Transmit Data

4 - RCV - Receive Data

5 - GND - Ground

6 - DSR - Data Set Ready

7 - RTS - Request To Send

8 - CTS - Clear To Send

9 - N/C - Not used (ring detection) <-I'm not sure if 850 supports it

Well I completed my atari setup. Got everything I need. I do have a question. I have a sx212 I want to hookup to my 850. What cable do I need to be able to hookup.

There should be no reason to connect the SX212 via 850 instead of directly to SIO if everything is working correctly, unless you want to run

special software that doesn't allow the use of the R-Verter driver.

As already mentioned, the 850s serial ports use special non-standard cables. Not Ataris' fault since 9-pin serial ports didn't become a standard until the release of the IBM AT in 1984.

• Like 1

Is it better to hook the SX to the 850 instead of using the SIO port?

I had the proper cable back in the day and used it with a SX-212 both ways. You can use more generic terminal software via 850...i.e. 850 Express. Using the SIO port required specific software or at least setting up a disk to boot the SX SIO handler. I used SX-DeTerm for a while and I can remember SX-Express being released, among others. The SX-212 operates like a standard Hayes smart modem when used with it's serial port. I think the "S" stood for ST and "X" was for XE/XE. I did end up using it with my ST for a while before upgrading to a 2400 bps modem. :)