IGNORED

Ready...Player One - anyone read it?

It's been out a while, but if you have not heard of it, or if you have and didn't read it yet..jump in. it's an 80s flashback that will blow a Gen Xer's mind! I read it a few months ago in 1 weekend.

Our beloved Intv is mentioned as well. Best book for Super Geeks I've read to date.

Hope you enjoy it.

JR

• Like 2

It's THE video game book, and will be a Steven Spielberg movie next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/

When the forum or my connection is slow (usually from my phone), I get double posts too. When it seems like it's slow, crashed, or didn't go through ... it's best to just let it be. It's usually fine, and sending it again results in a double post.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now and just keep not doing it. Even after tons of recommendations. I really need to finally just find the time and do it. I'm sure I'm gonna love it. Maybe with the movie coming out next year, that will give me the motivation to hurry up and read through it.

Considering all the various IP's that participate in the climax, I suspect the movie will let many of us down when our favorite pop culture character doesn't appear.
I suspect the movie company will be relying on Spielberg's name to carry it and cheap out on the licensed characters and replace with similar clones.

Mecha Godzilla/Raideen/Ultraman

Along with all the others mentioned in the big battle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/readyplayerone/comments/427xv3/i_made_a_size_comparison_chart_for_the_final/

Considering all the various IP's that participate in the climax, I suspect the movie will let many of us down when our favorite pop culture character doesn't appear.

I suspect the movie company will be relying on Spielberg's name to carry it and cheap out on the licensed characters and replace with similar clones.

There is an ENORMOUS amount of referenced IP in the book. In particular, arcade games and movies play important roles. I seriously hope they are able to license most of these. It'll be a big letdown otherwise.

..Al

There is an ENORMOUS amount of referenced IP in the book. In particular, arcade games and movies play important roles. I seriously hope they are able to license most of these. It'll be a big letdown otherwise.

..Al

A lot are referenced in the text that wouldn't translate into the movie but this is a daunting list, including a reference to Spielberg himself, I don't remember the exact usage but I don't see the movie being brave enough to include that reference, just like the current rumours that Wil Wheaton is being passed over for any inclusion, cameo or not...

http://www.shmoop.com/ready-player-one/allusions.html

As a Tandy Coco fan, I thought it was pretty cool that my obscure little computer was fairly heavily referenced in part of the book.

Funny this topic comes up as I'm now about 1/4 into reading Armada which is also great, so far. Not really a spoiler because this is spelled out pretty much on the dust jacket but just in case -

Lets just say if you like even more video game and sci-fi references with a definite "Last Starfighter" bent you'll like this book.

I wasn't as much a fan of Armada. It was ok, but didn't have the insane draw of Ready Player One to read and re-read again and again.

I want to re-read it as well before the movie comes out but need to get a copy (I originally read a borrowed library copy) and my daughter wants to read it too.

Sorry you didn't care for Armada, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I want to re-read it as well before the movie comes out but need to get a copy (I originally read a borrowed library copy) and my daughter wants to read it too.

Sorry you didn't care for Armada, but I'm enjoying it so far.

It wasn't bad per se. It actually got much better in the second half of the book. I just didn't get invested in it like I did Ready Player One.