IGNORED

Apps & Utils You'd Like To See For: Atari GUI

MrFish

I know it's still premature, but what apps & utils would you like to see for the forthcoming Atari GUI (FlashJazzCat)?

Also, what features would you like to see in the apps & utils that might not be considered "common"?

[Note: There are separate threads for Atari DOS & Cross-Platform apps & utils.]

---------------------------------------

I'd Like To Create:

- Paint
- Object Oriented Drawing
- ToDo / Calendar
- Font Editor
- Icon Editor
- Web Browser (for a scaled down Atari "sub-internet")
I feel the best approach would be to create a PC app to "pre-process" web content so that it could be resonably handled/displayed on an Atari Browser.

The pre-processed content would be served up by a dedicated server (Atari Sub-Internet).
- Email Client
- Programmer/Scientific Calculator

I'd Like To See:

- Spreadsheet
- The Last Word 4
- Resource Editor

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

I don't know if it's already there, but if its not: pointer controller support for ST Mouse, CX-80 Trak-Ball, Atari Touch Tablet, KoalaPad. (since I have 1 of each haha) There's probably more I can't think of at the moment. Light pen?

A basic drawing app would be a compliment to these.

Edited by Nezgar

I don't know if it's already there, but if its not: pointer controller support for ST Mouse, CX-80 Trak-Ball, Atari Touch Tablet, KoalaPad. (since I have 1 of each haha) There's probably more I can't think of at the moment. Light pen?

A basic drawing app would be a compliment to these.

ST Mouse support is there already, along with Amiga Mouse support. These were foundational to creation of the GUI as a project (an ST Mouse demo was the first thing produced).

Support for any and all useful input devices is planned. I believe some of the drawing devices you mentioned will have a problem supporting a full screen drawing program at 320 pixel width. That doesn't mean they couldn't be supported in color-clock resolution for other uses.

Edited by MrFish

Could always use a version of Minesweeper or Solitaire...

Yes, I imagine the standby GUI games will be some of the first created.

AA user ilmenit (creator of RasterConverter and "His Dark Majesty") already coded a basic Reversi game in preparation for coding it on the GUI: Small Reversi

Solitaire would work out good and probably any other card or board game. Lots of possibilities that will take advantage of the usefulness provided by drop-down menus.

I said it in the other thread, I'll repeat it here: RPN desk calculator, this time see grpn for inspiration.

Bonus points if it could be based on the HP15C, or the 16C if not the 15. 15C has some more advanced operations as it's a scientific, 16C is the programmer's variant.

• Like 1

Bonus points if it could be based on the HP15C, or the 16C if not the 15. 15C has some more advanced operations as it's a scientific, 16C is the programmer's variant.

I was looking around a bit and source code is available for both of these: 15C in TCL and 16C in C++.

They have a good horizontal to vertical resolution fit for the Ataris.

post-6369-0-92237900-1499750491.png

• Like 4

So, something like this?

attachicon.gifhp-15c.png

yes, that looks great. At least the graphics appear to be more than capable, I'm assuming this is just a mock-up?

EDIT: I know it'd be difficult, but it would also be great if we could get some color in there for the orange and blue f- and g-shifted functions. it's a bit hard to tell them apart otherwise. Maybe there's some kind of trick that could be used?

RE-EDIT: oh, this is the GUI thread, so there's not really a way to do any of that planned for the GUI.

Edited by Joey Z

yes, that looks great. At least the graphics appear to be more than capable, I'm assuming this is just a mock-up?

Thanks. Yeah, just a mockup -- I've already thrown it into Graph2Font to test on my CRT (posted below). I wanted to see just how good of a fit the horizontal to vertical resolution was, to see how it would be getting all the notation in there, and to see how big the simulated LCD would have to be. Everything is a pretty good fit, for a first edit. If I trim off the HP logo at the bottom and the white trim, I should be able to get it into a GUI window with no problem. I wanted to get the full design in there first though. I suppose it would be cool to add it for a "full screen" view.

EDIT: I know it'd be difficult, but it would also be great if we could get some color in there for the orange and blue f- and g-shifted functions. it's a bit hard to tell them apart otherwise. Maybe there's some kind of trick that could be used?

RE-EDIT: oh, this is the GUI thread, so there's not really a way to do any of that planned for the GUI.

Yes, for a DOS version adding the color would be no problem. Unless I've forgotten something, the GUI will have no direct support for P/M graphics.

Actually, this is just a preliminary test for graphics. I was already thinking to do something with the "f" and "g", but I just wanted to get a basic layout first. I'll probably just make one button all black and the other all white; that should be enough. Also, the "ON" button will really have no function, so it could be utilized for something like, switching to 16C mode...

[Edit: Added a colored button version, just to see what it looks like.]

hp15 atari b&w.xex

hp15 atari b&w (colored buttons).xex

post-6369-0-34446600-1499831147_thumb.png

post-6369-0-11023000-1499831156_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

Thanks. Yeah, just a mockup -- I've already thrown it into Graph2Font to test on my CRT (posted below). I wanted to see just how good of a fit the horizontal to vertical resolution was, to see how it would be getting all the notation in there, and to see how big the simulated LCD would have to be. Everything is a pretty good fit, for a first edit. If I trim off the HP logo at the bottom and the white trim, I should be able to get it into a GUI window with no problem. I wanted to get the full design in there first though. I suppose it would be cool to add it for a "full screen" view.

Yes, for a DOS version adding the color would be no problem. Unless I've forgotten something, the GUI will have no direct support for P/M graphics.

Actually, this is just a preliminary test for graphics. I was already thinking to do something with the "f" and "g", but I just wanted to get a basic layout first. I'll probably just make one button all black and the other all white; that should be enough. Also, the "ON" button will really have no function, so it could be utilized for something like, switching to 16C mode...

[Edit: Added a colored button version, just to see what it looks like.]

attachicon.gifhp15 atari b&w.xex

attachicon.gifhp15 atari b&w (colored buttons).xex

attachicon.gifhp15atari.png

attachicon.gifhp15atari (color).png

well, I also meant the text above each button, and the text on the lower part of each button. You also need to be reminded which is which there.

Edited by Joey Z

well, I also meant the text above each button, and the text on the lower part of each button. You also need to be reminded which is which there.

Yeah, I understand; I just wanted to get an impression of how the P/M's would line up on the buttons. The alignment just happened to be spot on (doesn't always work that way).

it is so bloody beautiful!!! Is there an emulator with source available or you plan to write everything from scratch?

Apps need to be written in the native MADS relocatable assembler format, and the API is sufficiently unusual that it would probably make sense to write everything from the ground up. No easy porting of C++ or Turbo BASIC XL, I'm afraid.

The best primer I can currently offer - unfortunately - for those genuinely interested in developing once there's something to work with, is the SymbOS download section:

http://www.symbos.de/download.htm

Of course, apps are written in Z80 assembler, but the control structures, IPC mechanisms and general structure are very similar to the Atari GOS.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

I was looking around a bit and source code is available for both of these: 15C in TCL and 16C in C++.

it is so bloody beautiful!!! Is there an emulator with source available or you plan to write everything from scratch?

Thanks... as mentioned there is some source code available.

Apps need to be written in the native MADS relocatable assembler format, and the API is sufficiently unusual that it would probably make sense to write everything from the ground up. No easy porting of C++ or Turbo BASIC XL, I'm afraid.

Probably right, but the source code may prove of some use.

Hopefully the 1088XEL with native mouse support will add additional incentive to help this become a reality even sooner. If only someone would win the lotto and fully fund the development :)

BTW, I love the calculator concept! And I used to own one of the programmer models, be great top have that in the GUI.

- Michael

• Like 5

I take it it's possible to drive the mouse using relative coordinates or at 320x200px resolution?

Opps sorry I kinda got sidetracked and didn't see this for a bit. The built-in mouse aspect of the XEL is based upon an ST mouse as far as the computer is concerned (although in reality it is a translated PS2 mouse input). So if an application recognizes, or in other words is looking for ST quadrature mouse signals on a joystick port, then it'll work the same with the XEL's built-in PS2 to ST mouse adapter. Also both the left and right buttons are supported, left on trigger, and the right being on a paddle input.

I still need to add a resolution adjustment, since PS2 mice vary from 400 DPI on up to 800 DPI. But thus far it works fine on your GOS with either a 400 or 800 DPI just fine, but it is a bit more movement sensitive with the 800 DPI mouse.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 3

I'd love to bury my head at the desk and bang this one out in the next couple months, even in DOS, if I had the time.

For now, I'll just be monkeying with layouts and learning how the real McCoy is supposed to function. I've been using TI graphing calcs for years; I always knew about the HP's, but this is really the first time I've closely looked any. This is a really neat machine, and, as you can see, it's a really nice screen fit for the Ataris -- although some of the text is probably a bit tiny for some folks.

• Like 3