IGNORED

Apps & Utils You'd Like To See For: Cross-Platform

MrFish

There are many applications/utilities that would be helpful for creating Atari resources.

What specific ones would you like to see done for Cross-Platform (PC/Mac/Linux)?

Also, what features would you like to see, or what apps & utils already exist that you would like to see upgraded with particular features?

[Note: There are separate threads for Atari DOS & Atari GUI apps & utils.]

---------------------------------------

I'd Like To Create:

- Web Content Preprocessor
PC utility to "pre-process" web content so that it could be resonably handled/displayed on an Atari Browser. The pre-processed content would be served up by a dedicated server (Atari Sub-Internet).

I'd Like Upgraded:

- Graph2Font
A larger or scalable main window.

I'd Like To See:

- Programming Resource Editor
I know there are several being worked on. It still remains a deficit in the Atari programming world.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

It can be a drawn out and painful experience working with the IDE class media, ie just getting lots of files across or doing a backup.

What would be nice is a PC based utility where you can plug in SD, CF cards etc and do file operations (including from ATR files).

Not a trivial thing, it would need to be able to identify partitions and what filesystem is in use (Dos 2.x, MyDos, SDX etc).

• Like 2

I would like to see a text editor on both Windows and Mac that I could type in program listings from magazines, and it would have a virtual keyboard so I could easily enter ATASCII codes.

In order to do that now, I have to type directly into an emulator. But I would also love the convenience of having a modern editor with macros, full screen editing, cut and paste, etc.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough. Thanks!

• Like 2

I would like to see a flexible Printer Emulation for the Atari that runs under Altirra and RespeQt. It will be great if it can be run as a stand alone application under PC/Linux/Mac environment.

I wish I could see the great Altirra with a built-in printer emulation. That will defiantly make my day. ;-)

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 2

It can be a drawn out and painful experience working with the IDE class media, ie just getting lots of files across or doing a backup.

What would be nice is a PC based utility where you can plug in SD, CF cards etc and do file operations (including from ATR files).

Not a trivial thing, it would need to be able to identify partitions and what filesystem is in use (Dos 2.x, MyDos, SDX etc).

How are you currently managing files?

I would like to see a text editor on both Windows and Mac that I could type in program listings from magazines, and it would have a virtual keyboard so I could easily enter ATASCII codes.

In order to do that now, I have to type directly into an emulator. But I would also love the convenience of having a modern editor with macros, full screen editing, cut and paste, etc.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough. Thanks!

You've already got part of this functionality in the PC and Mac versions of Memopad. It would be nice to add the virtual keyboard you mention.

Memopad Thread

I would like to see a flexible Printer Emulation for the Atari that runs under Altirra and RespeQt. It will be great if it can be run as a stand alone application under PC/Linux/Mac environment.

I wish I could see the great Altirra with a built-in printer emulation. That will defiantly make my day. ;-)

Printer emulation is being worked on for RespeQt: Proof of concept printer emulation support

I and most people would like to see R: device support as well.

Edited by MrFish

An Android based ide with multiple compilers and an emulator for coding while on public transport.

That doesn't sound like very much fun to me, or are you just talking about making better use of mandatory travel?

I suppose in small bits it might not be too bad...

It would be nice to see a full-function PC-based atr and xex utility. Something like ciderpress for the apple II.

Ciderpress is nice; I used it quite a bit when I started working on an Oregon Trail port.

The Atari 8-bits have quite a few utilities, but none that have all the funtionality needed.

Has anybody worked with this utility before? I haven't used it that much yet because I'm in the habit of using some other tools, but it has a lot of functionality and some features I haven't seen in other tools. It can work with Atari DOS, MyDOS, and SpartaDOS (not SDX) images. It's quite old (2002), and I'm not even sure where I downloaded it from.

Atari File Manager.zip

That doesn't sound like very much fun to me, or are you just talking about making better use of mandatory travel?

I suppose in small bits it might not be too bad...

Yes, mandatory travel is the reason I would like to code on the go. I was recommended a setup for this on another thread but it would be better if it was a setup designed from the ground up for people like me who have over an hours travel in one direction.

Yes, mandatory travel is the reason I would like to code on the go. I was recommended a setup for this on another thread but it would be better if it was a setup designed from the ground up for people like me who have over an hours travel in one direction.

I think I'd opt for a small cheap laptop. Even the cheapest laptop can handle emulation and source code editing.

I understand the convenience, but the convenience seems like it would slip away when having to manipulate everything in a coding session (editor, emulator, documentation, etc.).

Getting back to your point, though, I suppose it would be handy for moments of casual coding.

I think I'd opt for a small cheap laptop. Even the cheapest laptop can handle emulation and source code editing.

I understand the convenience, but the convenience seems like it would slip away when having to manipulate everything in a coding session (editor, emulator, documentation, etc.).

Getting back to your point, though, I suppose it would be handy for moments of casual coding.

I think I will do that.

The missus has a notebook which she is going to get rid of. It isn't that great for what she wants it for but it'll be good enough for text editing and a little emulation.

I'd love to have a way to use the Atari as a PC keyboard (...and joystick interface? A guy can dream) for programming and gaming without having to destroy an Atari. I have no idea if any of this would be possible. Maybe a cartridge that scans input and passes it to the PC as a USB HID device. I'm sure there are innumerable reasons why this can't be possible.

Printer emulation is being worked on for RespeQt: Proof of concept printer emulation support

I and most people would like to see R: device support as well.

Thank you for pointing out that program.

It is a promising project for sure. Unfortunately, I tried to execute it without much success. It requires Qt v 5.7.1 bundle library files installed (Windows XP) which I find it quit prohibited (1 gigabit + to install).

madi

I think I will do that.

The missus has a notebook which she is going to get rid of. It isn't that great for what she wants it for but it'll be good enough for text editing and a little emulation.

Either use that or buy a cheap refurbished business notebook. I just ordered a refurbished Lenovo X230 with a core i5, 8GB RAM, 180GB SSD, builtin UMTS modem for about 300 EUR shipped - it even has 1 year warranty. Probably have to add about 40-60EUR for a new battery but that's still not a lot of money.

I've got a Nexus 7 tablet (2012 model) which I've been using to surf the web but honestly I wouldn't want to use it to do any serious work. Even writing emails or posting a forum reply is a PITA with the onscreen keyboard so I very rarely did that.

so long,

Hias

Either use that or buy a cheap refurbished business notebook. I just ordered a refurbished Lenovo X230 with a core i5, 8GB RAM, 180GB SSD, builtin UMTS modem for about 300 EUR shipped - it even has 1 year warranty. Probably have to add about 40-60EUR for a new battery but that's still not a lot of money.

I've got a Nexus 7 tablet (2012 model) which I've been using to surf the web but honestly I wouldn't want to use it to do any serious work. Even writing emails or posting a forum reply is a PITA with the onscreen keyboard so I very rarely did that.

so long,

Hias

If Windows isn't a requirement, any Chromebook running Linux via Crouton would work. The 10" Asus Flip works well with the atari800 emulator and is quite portable.

• Like 1

Thank you for pointing out that program.

It is a promising project for sure. Unfortunately, I tried to execute it without much success. It requires Qt v 5.7.1 bundle library files installed (Windows XP) which I find it quit prohibited (1 gigabit + to install).

madi

Nope, you're doing it wrong. Well, kind of.

RespeQt only requires a few megs of DLL files at most. If they're not included with the test releases Josch is doing for the printer emulation support, then this is a temporary issue. The new printer support overhaul was not yet mature enough to have made it into the last official RespeQt release. The official RespeQt releases are built statically and only require a couple DLL's from MingW32, which are included in the releases.

If Windows isn't a requirement, any Chromebook running Linux via Crouton would work. The 10" Asus Flip works well with the atari800 emulator and is quite portable.

It's even possible to use wine under crouton to run Altirra. Chromebook+crouton is a great cheap little linux system.