IGNORED

Another way to use a spinner to play Tempest 2000...

ave1

Ever wanted to play Tempest 2000 with a spinner? I have a low-priced way to do it.

Here's what you need:

Time investment: 15 to 20 minutes

Hardware:

1) A computer that can run Windows XP-compatible games.

2) A USB laser mouse.

Software:

My personal preference is a freeware Tempest 2000 clone game called 'Typhoon 2001' which can be downloaded from various places around the web. There are other ways to play Tempest 2000 on a PC (such as owning the DOS T2K disc), but Typhoon 2001 is better because of its superior analog mouse-control.

Tools and materials to make a spinner that mounts on the laser mouse:

1) A better than average triwing fidget spinner (yes, I said you need to spend money on a fidget spinner)

2) Sticky tack (my favorite brand is Loc-tite Funtac).

3) 2-liter bottle cap

4) a piece of cardboard that's thin and rigid

5) sharp blade tool

6) Scissors

7) Marker

The assembly process is shown here:

(5 minutes and 53 seconds in shows Typhoon 2001 being played with the fidget spinner-modded mouse). Also: There are Jaguar emulator possibilities that could be considered... Edited by ave1
  • Like 2

Play it on a Sit-n-Spin! Gyruss works good too. You mount your laptop on a Lazy Susan ontop the Sit-n-Spin handle so it can rotate with you. And set the wireless mouse on the floor next to the outer edge. When you spin, so does the on-screen action. You might have to build a bracket to keep the mouse/encoder aligned.

If you're to big to ride a Sit-n-Spin. Then just get a portable and play on a full-size Tilt-a-Whirl. Both "solutions" are guaranteed to make you get woozy and barf your lunch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sit+n+spin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuhOSZh4fVAhUl8YMKHSUEDdYQ_AUICCgD&biw=1024&bih=623

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Don't be so quick to scoff at this. There's no commercially available spinner under $40... believe me, I've LOOKED. It's frustrating to try to make one of these yourself and any help is greatly appreciated.

I've seen mouse-based dials like this, except they didn't use a fidget spinner as a flywheel... the maker just drilled a hole at the bottom of the mouse, set a dowel in the hole, and threaded a cardboard circle with a hole in the center through the dowel. Of course, there would be friction with that design... the fidget spinner would greatly reduce it.

Right now, I'm using a VCR head glued onto a wooden box, with a cardboard circle screwed onto the bottom. There's a mouse glued inside the box, which reads the movements of the circle as it spins. It's extremely difficult to find the right distance between the mouse and circle, but gluing some fuzzy felt on the circle gives you extra tolerance without adding too much friction.

I just want someone to mass-manufacture a jog wheel for a computer that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't look like it was thrown together from spare parts. Currently, that just doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Ever wanted to play Tempest 2000 with a spinner? I have a low-priced way to do it.

Here's what you need:

Time investment: 15 to 20 minutes

Hardware:

1) A computer that can run Windows XP-compatible games.

2) A USB laser mouse.

Software:

My personal preference is a freeware Tempest 2000 clone game called 'Typhoon 2001' which can be downloaded from various places around the web. There are other ways to play Tempest 2000 on a PC (such as owning the DOS T2K disc), but Typhoon 2001 is better because of its superior analog mouse-control.

Tools and materials to make a spinner that mounts on the laser mouse:

1) A better than average triwing fidget spinner (yes, I said you need to spend money on a fidget spinner)

2) Sticky tack (my favorite brand is Loc-tite Funtac).

3) 2-liter bottle cap

4) a piece of cardboard that's thin and rigid

5) sharp blade tool

6) Scissors

7) Marker

The assembly process is shown here:

(5 minutes and 53 seconds in shows Typhoon 2001 being played with the fidget spinner-modded mouse). Also: There are Jaguar emulator possibilities that could be considered...

Or just buy a usb spinner .

Don't be so quick to scoff at this. There's no commercially available spinner under $40... believe me, I've LOOKED. It's frustrating to try to make one of these yourself and any help is greatly appreciated.

I've seen mouse-based dials like this, except they didn't use a fidget spinner as a flywheel... the maker just drilled a hole at the bottom of the mouse, set a dowel in the hole, and threaded a cardboard circle with a hole in the center through the dowel. Of course, there would be friction with that design... the fidget spinner would greatly reduce it.

Right now, I'm using a VCR head glued onto a wooden box, with a cardboard circle screwed onto the bottom. There's a mouse glued inside the box, which reads the movements of the circle as it spins. It's extremely difficult to find the right distance between the mouse and circle, but gluing some fuzzy felt on the circle gives you extra tolerance without adding too much friction.

I just want someone to mass-manufacture a jog wheel for a computer that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't look like it was thrown together from spare parts. Currently, that just doesn't exist.

Glad to help, and good to hear what you've done :)

I've now got the spinner on a wireless Microsoft mouse connected with adapters (including a PS2-to-USB-to-micro-USB adapted-Smartjoy Frag adapter with keyboard) to play games on Android... Hint: Cyclone 2000 is now a very nice experience :)

The Android controls on Android games have never been mouse/trackball compatible or spinner-compatible before... but I figured out how to connect adapters to get all the above working on Android games, and it works better than I ever expected it would. Let's just say- my evening went very well!

Will start working on the video soon...

Edited by ave1
  • Like 1

I've now got the spinner on a wireless Microsoft mouse connected with adapters (including a PS2-to-USB-to-micro-USB adapted-Smartjoy Frag adapter with keyboard) to play games on Android... Hint: Cyclone 2000 is now a very nice experience :)

The Android controls on Android games have never been mouse/trackball compatible or spinner-compatible before... but I figured out how to connect adapters to get all the above working on Android games, and it works better than I ever expected it would. Let's just say- my evening went very well!

Will start working on the video soon...

A video of an Android game will be very well received here in the Jaguar forum. We look forward to seeing your work!!

• Like 3