IGNORED

Open letter to @w1k and maybe others, too...

@w1k, I decided you can keep that Atari powersupply I bought it from you 3 months ago.

Evidently you need it more.

Just to get a reader in the picture... I bought Atari 800XL+PS. I am not going to describe the timeframe until I received a computer itself - funny story as well. Normally I wouldnt make a noise bacause of some gooddamn old PS, but it's getting ridiculous (and I have a cleaning day today) I want you to stop for a minute and think about a whole case. Would YOU be satisfied with such a situation you open long-awaited box and the ONLY thing you find there is a computer? Immediately I informed you about the issue (as I believed you simply forgot to include ps), but your answer nailed it (a bit irrelevant response, isn't it, w1k?)

You've had a concern about "someone's" communication stuck somewhere in previous century. How about yours? At least he sent you eventually what you paid for. I sent you couple of "kindly reminders"... I guess you cant care less, to try to solve it.... Three months. Without results.

Who would say that this trade ended up like this.

So I solved it for you.

ps: forum admins, I understand this is not a something which should appear here, but if possible, leave it here for few days for 2 reasons: one is dedicated to w1k - Treat other people with the concern and kindness you would like them to show toward you. Second is dedicated to others to stay vigilant and do not send money in advance when you are not 101% sure.

• Like 4

W1k is one of the very few people on my ignore list, his totally ignorant way of communication and childish demands on devs just shows zero care for any one but himself.

Arrogant is the only way I can describe him...

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time, its rare that someone in this community does that sort of thing because there's a strong bond here and I can say that is a fact from the moving help and chat re my daughter who is recovering from anorexia..

Glad you got it sorted...Shame you had to do it yourself..

• Like 6

I absolutely agree with this...

He is specifically one of the reasons why I warn new Atari users away from this site. I would hate for them to ask the wrong question or say the wrong thing and get attacked (like the guy who posted about the AtariBox a few weeks back).

All of us can be snarky from time to time, or pop off here and there... but there are some people on this site that I think have tried to develop being a jerk into an art form.

When w1k was posting in one of the "how to hook up your A8 to call BBSs" thread I didn't want to answer his questions... I didn't want there to be any chance he'd call my BBS and bring that attitude with him. I don't even like to post much anymore. Even helpful ones. Lest I be accused of "playing stump the professor" or some other thing. It's just not worth it.

That's why I asked for a block/ignore feature (or if there is already one that works for the whole site, not just PMs, where can I find it?)... I think this community would be a lot better without a certain few individuals (but since we couldn't agree on those, letting each user decide for themselves would be a better way to go).

I've felt this way for a long time.... Thank you for finally saying it out in the open.

• Like 3

Hello Tillek

That's why I asked for a block/ignore feature (or if there is already one that works for the whole site, not just PMs, where can I find it?)...

You can block people by clicking on your name in the upper right hand corner and choosing "Manage Ignore Prefs".

Sincerely

Mathy

There are many great and fabulous people on this site too. I think of very helpful people like Hiassoft, Jac, FlashJazzCat, Philsan, phaeron, Mclaneinc, Tf_hh, Mr. Fish, Stephen, Larry, Mytekcontrols, Rybags, Mathy, The Real Bounty Bob, drac030, Mr. Atari and of course all these friendly and helpful people I now forget (Sorry it is not on purpouse).

I have had several moments that I really had a bad time here. It took too much of my time, got too much involved, and there was too much hate. Sometimes I stepped in hate-trap myself too which I always did regret later... so sometimes it is good to take a break. Atari is fun and great and it is good that there is a forum to discuss this great subject.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 9

Yeah I remember one of the time, I had a chat with you at the time and said not to give up on here and come back which you did soon after, can't have one of the good guys missing out!

A good guy and a good friend, that's what I love about here, so many good friends, shame its blighted by the W1K's but with 'ignore' you can at least almost not see them.

• Like 2

Hello friends!

All of us can remember good and bad times... I think that we all are not young enough to know nothing at all!

I say about the fact that if you personally know w1k then you are the BOSS but if not ...

Plese remember this Internet is only the Internet!.. No more.

When someone said to Stalin that his poets and writers are all distalented...

he said - I have NOT others.

You must work with them!

I don't love him but sometimes he was strictly perfect.

Anyway, you may understand that life may be too cruel to some person! And what?

If this person is ill. Are we can think that he is social enough to make business?

If this person is dead are we can say that he is anyway social?

Who we are?

He is specifically one of the reasons why I warn new Atari users away from this site. I would hate for them to ask the wrong question or say the wrong thing and get attacked (like the guy who posted about the AtariBox a few weeks back).

Let's not single out AtariAge as if some of the things that go on here are peculiar to this site; if AtariAge was so scandalous and disreputable above other sites then "ignore prefs", "message blocking", and "report buttons" wouldn't be a common part of all forum software.

Compared to what I've seen on most heavily male dominated forums/sites on the internet, this place is extremely tame.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

Let's not single out AtariAge as if some of the things that go on here are peculiar to this site; if AtariAge was so scandalous and disreputable above other sites then "ignore prefs", "message blocking", and "report buttons" wouldn't be a common part of all forum software.

Compared to what I've seen on most heavily male dominated forums/sites on the internet, this place is extremely tame.

No, but it does have a tendency to not be nice to new users. Sure, a lot of sites do too... but if someone is new to Atari, I can point them to friendlier places... or just answer their questions as best I can. It's worse on the ST side. God forbid you want to use a real hard drive... you'll get attacked by the (ultra)Satan Worshippers. And the advice is often not really informed. Someone will specifically say they prefer to use real disks and ask about how to get software on them and they'll get a ton of "you need an SIO2SD" or other things like that. Is it so hard to actually read what the guy is asking for, and answer the specific question (and maybe add some other options, but only after answering what was asked?) And here's a big one... If you don't know the answer... don't answer.

That last one is a bigger problem with Facebook naturally (I participated in a thread where a guy was asking about a specific cable... turned out to be an XFormer cable... the sheer number of people who "answered" and the list of "guesses" ranged from everything to an SIO2PC to a hard drive interface). But still, I would be hesitant to recommend it to someone who is just starting to dip their feet in the Atari pool. Later on, sure. But if this was someone's first Atari experience, I fear they'd bolt.

• 4 weeks later...

I think those are general problems on any forum anywhere on the internet. And people making guesses on a solution to a problem - that's everywhere too.

I've been on forums where the blind lead the blind, and it's "cringe-making" to watch totally inapplicable advice being followed.

I've also been on forums where I've been outright told my suggestions weren't valid because I had like 7 posts. Then months later, being asked why I didn't say so earlier. Uhmm bweeble bweeble bweeble.. duh.

It's the frakking internet for chrissakes. And it's getting full of old cranky farts, therefore more personality conflicts, especially between the passive and aggressive types. And you gotta love those with pointless points to prove. Yep. More and more defective personalities are coming online every single day..

Edited by Keatah