IGNORED

Have you ever lost a great deal?

Banquo

Early this morning I did my usual check of newly listed items in vintage computing and what appeared on my screen but an Atari 1200XL and power supply for around $100 BIN...I couldn't believe it, literally. So I spent the next five minutes looking for the catch, checking his feedback, reading the listing over and over to find out what was wrong with this deal, and of course it sold almost immediately. Doh!

I felt like such an idiot; what was I thinking? Have you ever lost a super deal on something due to being overly cautious or just too slow?

• Like 2

All of the time, generally much after the fact. For example, I usually think the thing is over priced but a little while later I see that it was probably a good deal. It use to bother me but I just have learned to let it go and just hope it went to a good home and not to someone who is just going to resell it at a higher price to a real retro lover.

Oh yes, multiple times for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I don't have the time to make the purchase the very moment I see the item and I watch it to come back to it. By the time I come back, it is gone (sometimes just minutes later!). Other technology fails. Once I had the internet service drop on me as I was about to bid and not return for hours. Then gone is the item. It happens.

I've lost some "Buy it now!" because thinking it too much, but not really needed.

Like a game with manual but still needed the box and already had the game, or a game intermixed in a lot but the lot exceeded my price.

At the end always appears again something (from another vendor, of course) at even best price.

I've no regrets yet (appears like people watching eBay are amazingly faster than me, so I never see offers :P)

Absolutely. I've done the same exact same thing where I delay just long enough to lose it. Sucks but that's why I typically jump immediately anymore. Of course I've also lost items after paying for them too when someone jumps in and offers more. Of course some folks here think that's perfectly ok to do....?

Nope, not that I can think of. I leap at good deals.

Same as with meeting new people; if you live in a shell and/or approach with caution, always assuming that others are out to get you and will do you wrong, you miss out on some great opportunities and experiences in this life.

;)

Unfortunately, I think that the internet rather than actual life experience oftentimes teaches this - 'new' = bad, untrustworthy, to be approached with unmerited caution. A shame, and certainly a mindset that makes some of us appear as paranoid Salem 'witch' hunters, but it is what it is I suppose.

:(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple times it is because I plan on waiting until the last few minutes to start bidding and then lose track of time and realize it ended ten minutes ago and some item went for half its worth. Now I try to place a reasonable bid early on even if I think it might make others more vigilant.

• Like 1

At the root of every sales pitch is some sort of argument trying to convince you that you are going to miss out if you don't act instantly. Chill out and chalk up a missed deal as a lesson teaching you what you really want to pay for something. Whenever that happens to me, I'd say 8 times out of 10 I find the same thing cheaper within a reasonable amount of time.

Recently I lost an Atari 800 CIB for $105. You don't see them CIB very often and I'd been looking for one on and off for a while. I had it set up as a watched item and my phone notified me but I didn't hear it. I was watching a movie. After the movie was over I checked my phone and saw it.

Of course if it's not a BIN, you have no idea whether the buyer would have bid far higher than that. I've bid on things that seemed like great deals only to have them turn out not to be within the last 3 minutes of an auction.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to sniping, I have lost many, many, many great deals by $1 (or less) on ebay to folks with faster connections than me bidding in the last 5 seconds.

On the AA Marketplace, never. If I find a good deal here for something I want, it's mine!

(Although I am still waiting for that illusive $100 Mega STe to make an appearance (w/ 2.06 & mono AND colour monitors of course))

Hey, I can dream can't I!

If you're comfortable selling on eBay, you lose a lot fewer good deals. If you're an expert on a system, you should probably pull the trigger on an item or a lot that you're on the fence about. You can always recoup most or all or more of your investment if you decide you don't like it or don't want it anymore.

I've lost good deals mostly because I don't know a system/platform well enough. When I was new to Colecovision, I passed on a bargain lot partly because I didn't know the value of the items and because the BIN was $150. The lot was probably worth $500. So you also have to be able to pull the trigger on lots that are expensive but good value.

However, missing out on a great deal doesn't really bug me unless the item is ultra rare. If something turns up on eBay more than a couple of times a year, I don't usually sweat it.