IGNORED

PVM Monitor /w BNC connectors

Dastari Creel

Hi,

I've been doing research on the best monitors to use for gaming, and I keep hearing that the PVM monitors are the best. I'm looking at using it with some old systems including the original Magnavox Odyssey. Now, the Odyssey uses a dual-lead old school antenna type connection, but I found this adapter to convert the twin lead to regular coax. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3EZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The PVM monitor that I'm looking at only has BNC type connectors. If I use a coax to BNC connector will that be enough? Since the Odyssey broadcasts on channel 3 or 4 I'm worried that a monitor with no TV tuner won't be able to pick up on the signal. Does anyone know if this will work?

Won't work. You need an intermediary, such as an old VCR, to demodulator the signal.

Will that ruin the quality of the picture by running it through another device?

EDIT: I can't find a demodulator with a BNC output. I can't even find one with an S-video output, which is the other kind of input that this monitor accepts. I can find demodulators with RCA outputs and I've found an RCA to BNC type converter. I assume that would work, so the question is, would my picture quality be better using a PVM monitor but having to first go through a twin-lead to coax balancing transformer and then a demodulator or, would i be better off getting a Trinitron TV where I just need to go through the balancing transformer to make the connection?

This is so much of a hassle that I think that I'm going to design a dual-lead antenna demodulator at some point just for old school gamers.

Edited by Dastari Creel

What's the point in having the best screen if you are going to use the worst signal transmission possible? Going the PVM route isn't worth the trouble unless you plan to use an RGB signal.

Even using a demodulator to turn the RF signal into composite, isn't going to look any better than just RF. You need the original output of the console to give something better than RF if you want picture quality better than RF.

Hi,

I've been doing research on the best monitors to use for gaming, and I keep hearing that the PVM monitors are the best. I'm looking at using it with some old systems including the original Magnavox Odyssey. Now, the Odyssey uses a dual-lead old school antenna type connection, but I found this adapter to convert the twin lead to regular coax. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3EZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The PVM monitor that I'm looking at only has BNC type connectors. If I use a coax to BNC connector will that be enough? Since the Odyssey broadcasts on channel 3 or 4 I'm worried that a monitor with no TV tuner won't be able to pick up on the signal. Does anyone know if this will work?

Yeah, you'll need a VCR or other RF tuner with composite output, and a RCA to BNC adapter (the signals are the same, but BNC is a better form factor.)

And it wouldn't matter anyway, as it would go through a tuner anyway. You might as well use a regular TV.

Edited by TheTIGuy