IGNORED

Atari 7800 Custom Joysticks (Asteroids/Flight/Retro/Arcade)

GoldenWheels

Being a big fan of the 7800 and not so big a fan of the Pro Lines, I got into making my own Atari 7800 sticks. Every time I finished one I came up with a new idea and I may have gotten a little carried away. Ahem. Anyway, here are some 7800 sticks, all with proper two button functionality.

Asteroids stick (the four white buttons at top are for 'proper' Asteroids style control, left/right/thrust/warp (also works AWESOME under the 7800 mode where button 2 is warp).

0trPqmv.jpg

cRrPyXa.jpg

efI22P6.jpg

8RhLDGs.jpg

• Like 6

Those look great! I'm a fan of the first 'woody' arcade stick myself.

One question I have as I've seen this for all of these..

Why aren't carriage bolts being used instead of standard machine screws for joysticks? Seems to be the heads on those screws not being rounded would bug me to no end?

I would think that some black coated carriage bolts would look really good on these joysticks I see being made.

If you like the 7800 and have any hankering for tinkering, a controller is a great place to start. I used Wyluli Wolf's diagram from this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258152-byo-atari-7800-controller-schematic-for-dummys/.

Thanks to him as I have had lots of fun building these. And all parts were from ebay or ali baba. The buttons, the project boxes, the vinyl, the wires, the crimps, etc.

• Like 2

Those look great! I'm a fan of the first 'woody' arcade stick myself.

One question I have as I've seen this for all of these..

Why aren't carriage bolts being used instead of standard machine screws for joysticks? Seems to be the heads on those screws not being rounded would bug me to no end?

I would think that some black coated carriage bolts would look really good on these joysticks I see being made.

In my case I learned something the hard way early on the Woody ones--unless I could cut nice round holes for the 4 screw heads in the vinyl ahead of time (hard to do the way I lay and cut the vinyl), when I finally got to tightening them, the screw heads ALWAYS turned just enough, no matter how hard I tried to tighten from the nut side only, to cause a little torque on the vinyl, making wrinkles around the screws, which drove me crazy! I agree it really should be a pan head style but the sloped shoulders don't mess up the vinyl and were already included with the stick. In my experience so far because the heads are so small, you barely feel them anyway.

I could countersink for this to some degree, and get the head lower, but depending on how thick the project box is, you can only counter sink so much.

yeah...on arcade cab control panels, the vinyl is cut with square holes ahead of time for the carriage bolts to go through. And then you would need a perfect square hole for the plastic as well. There has to be a washer assembly one can buy that has this already as a mounting washer of sorts for just this thing?

Hmm... Imma start looking...

• Like 1

Being a big fan of the 7800 and not so big a fan of the Pro Lines, I got into making my own Atari 7800 sticks. Every time I finished one I came up with a new idea and I may have gotten a little carried away. Ahem. Anyway, here are some 7800 sticks, all with proper two button functionality.

Asteroids stick (the four white buttons at top are for 'proper' Asteroids style control, left/right/thrust/warp (also works AWESOME under the 7800 mode where button 2 is warp).

Love the Asteroids button controller! I've thought of doing one like this for Asteroids, Space Duel, classic form Space Invaders, and also the Track and Field type games for the 2600.

• Like 4

Directly wiring the controls to the console cord for a 7800 is not rocket science at all, but a while back we started making a little I/O board for internal use that streamlines/idiot-proofs the process even further. When Albert added our finished goods to the AtariAge store, he picked up that PCB as well - the "Easy 78". You can see it here:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1077

• Like 3

Love the Asteroids button controller! I've thought of doing one like this for Asteroids, Space Duel, classic form Space Invaders, and also the Track and Field type games for the 2600.

Thanks! It's so easy/cheap to add to a normal stick if you have space in the case.

• Like 1

Please do!!! I have no trouble wiring one up myself but I lack space and tools for making enclosures. :(

• Like 1

Please do!!! I have no trouble wiring one up myself but I lack space and tools for making enclosures. :(

Ha ha! It had not occurred to me that anyone else would want one. Nor did I move past the daydreaming phase.

But ok, let me figure it out.

Ha ha! It had not occurred to me that anyone else would want one. Nor did I move past the daydreaming phase.

But ok, let me figure it out.

I bet you could easily work it into one of your awesome Supreme 78s if you gave up leftie/rightie playability. That would look sweet.

(I'm building something a la the lines of your super twin now because....ROBOTRON!!! :) )

• Like 1

I bet you could easily work it into one of your awesome Supreme 78s if you gave up leftie/rightie playability. That would look sweet.

(I'm building something a la the lines of your super twin now because....ROBOTRON!!! :) )

Yes! Gotta have a twin stick to play Robotron. :-)

• Like 1