IGNORED

Unpopular games that you like?

hizzy

but I felt like I should post something intelligent after my earlier fart joke.

Awesome! When were you going to post it?

I jest! :D

I'll add a non movie based game to the mix... Outer Space.

I'm not even kidding, as a kid playing this at my friends house I thought it was cool. The sound effects were wild, and we were playing some 2 player games where one person controlled I believe a moon!!? How awesome was it back in the day to control a frickin moon!!?

• Like 4

So my problem, give or take, may be that I don't exactly know what is or isn't popular...

For example I always loved Frankenstein's Monster, but never hear anyone talk about it...There was a long span of time it was my Favorite.

Some others that seem like they should at least be more popular...Megaforce, Turmoil, Superman, Slot Machine, Bermuda Triangle, and Tron Deadly Discs ...OK, OK, Tron probably was popular but maybe should have been Even More Popular...

BTW I too enjoy Dodge'em and Slot Racers..

And a lot of other people's choices too.

Oh and I thought of another one!...Condor Attack! Pretty sure people hated that one, but I liked it a lot. Probably because despite being weird and imperfect, it seemed to me that it was a tribute to 80's arcade games.

Awesome! When were you going to post it?

I jest! :D

I'll add a non movie based game to the mix... Outer Space.

I'm not even kidding, as a kid playing this at my friends house I thought it was cool. The sound effects were wild, and we were playing some 2 player games where one person controlled I believe a moon!!? How awesome was it back in the day to control a frickin moon!!?

Interesting you mention this one: Outer Space. Or Star Ship, depending on whether you have the Sears or Atari variant (Mine is Outer Space but you wouldn't know because the end label fell off long ago).

Probably a year before I had an Atari, my friend had one and he had this game. I think we only ever played it once for a minute or two, but I got it in my head that it was really fun, or at least I wanted to play it again to see if it was fun. And this was one of the first games I sought out but could not find in stores because it had been discontinued and they'd moved on so to speak. This was when I figured out that games would not be around forever on store shelves...Slot Racers was another one I could never find on shelves back in the day...

FWIW, I ended up getting them both as loose carts later at pawn shops or video game stores...

• Like 2

Pac-Man

E.T.

Laser Blast

Spacechase

Bugs

There's one game I like that I wouldn't call it unpopular as much as completely unknown. I don't recall the title of it. I periodically rediscover it when surfing roms on my Harmony. You have a central missile base and paratroopers jump down towards your installation. If they land, they start digging tunnels to your base to blow it up.

There's one game I like that I wouldn't call it unpopular as much as completely unknown. I don't recall the title of it. I periodically rediscover it when surfing roms on my Harmony. You have a central missile base and paratroopers jump down towards your installation. If they land, they start digging tunnels to your base to blow it up.

Sounds like Commando Raid by U.S. Games

• Like 2

I'm reluctant to admit that I liked Sneak and Peak. It's cute. You could even hide under the house. :)

It's funny, I don't see any particular problem with the game

But I was going through the awkward transistion into my teen years when I bought it and my reaction was "A kid's hide and seek game?? I can't own this! I'll be the laughingstock of my friends". So I returned it, even though I only paid like $5 for it in the first place. Then the kicker was, one of my friends came over and said "you returned it? Aww man, I wanted to play it!" :D

Pacman. People hate on it cause it's not like the arcade, but its Atari, how many games were?

By 82, Atari was doing a pretty decent job with arcade translations given the limits of the 2600. I was impressed with Berzerk, Phoenix and Vanguard and others that came later. But Pacman stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe in a pre-Activision world we would expect a conversion like that. But Atari noticeably stepped up their game after Activision and other publishers hit the scene.

I'm also a fan of Star Voyager.. set it to lasers and the game is good fun. :)

One of my positive memories I have of my stepdad was how he would play Star Voyager with me. I'd drive the ship and fire the lasers. He'd control the photorps with the second controller. I don't recall our best score, but I think we were a pretty decent team.

• Like 1

Double Dragon, Desert Falcon, Venture, Zaxxon, Ghostbusters (The Video Game Critic!), Kung Fu Master.

The 2600 port of Kung Fu Master is fantastic. It's arguably better than the 7800 version, given the 2600's limitations. Ghostbusters is solid as well. Nearly all the elements of the original Commodore/Sega version are in there, except the stairway before the ending.

• Like 1

I was always a fan of E.T. as well. Got it for $2 on clearance back in the day, and loved it. I am also a huge fan of Rescue Terra I, which no one ever mentions, and is the prequel to another awesome game that is rarely mentioned: Subterranea

Pacman. People hate on it cause it's not like the arcade, but its Atari, how many games were?

Donkey Kong, same. Only two screens, but their well done.

People hate these games because they were total rush jobs and not very good. "It's Atari. What do you expect?" is no excuse because look at at the quality of subsequent Pac-Man games on the system.

I was always a fan of E.T. as well. Got it for $2 on clearance back in the day, and loved it. I am also a huge fan of Rescue Terra I, which no one ever mentions, and is the prequel to another awesome game that is rarely mentioned: Subterranea

Subterranea is one of the best on the 2600, but correct: no one seems to know about its existence...

I always had a soft Spot for Pac-Man. In Germany only adults could enter Arcades and you could hardly find any Arcade Cabinets outside of those, so we all thought that the 2600-Pac-Man is the real Pac-Man. If you don't compare it to the Original, I think, it's quite good...

Another Game, that's said to be really bad and that I like is Condor Attack. It's technically "sub-par" but gives simple and fast shooting fun - at least for me!

• Like 2

Vanguard probably the best ship shooter on the 2600 with the best graphics and features and decent sound.

Space attack! The suspense!

Armour ambush..I can still remember the black screen with white stripes when someone loses, atari hits the floor, the fight goes on with the joystick still in tow.

"Thats right big bro! I will punch you with your glasses on!"

That was a 200 dollar game for my parents with a trip to the optometrist and a corrective belting from dad.

• Like 1