IGNORED

Unpopular games that you like?

hizzy

• 2 weeks later...

Beamrider, Klax, ET is OK, Codebreaker, Submarine Commander

Submarine Commander looks really cool. Is it just overlooked because it's a Sears game, or do people rate it low?

BTW I had a go at Moto Rodeo the other day, and it's great! I'm surprised that's not one that is talked about more. I'd rate it as not-as-good-as-Excitebike, but better-than-Kickstart. Definitely a hidden gem IMO.

Submarine Commander looks really cool. Is it just overlooked because it's a Sears game, or do people rate it low?

BTW I had a go at Moto Rodeo the other day, and it's great! I'm surprised that's not one that is talked about more. I'd rate it as not-as-good-as-Excitebike, but better-than-Kickstart. Definitely a hidden gem IMO.

It's inspired by Sea Wolf if I'm not wrong. I think it's overlooked possibly because it's an early game that's timed. It's not a very sophisticated game but I think it's really fun.

• Like 1

BTW I had a go at Moto Rodeo the other day, and it's great! I'm surprised that's not one that is talked about more.

I think Submarine Commander gets overlooked partly because it's a less common title, and partly because there's probably as much bad to say about it as there is good. All things considered, it's a C+ game that wouldn't be especially noteworthy if it weren't a Sears exclusive. I used to like Submarine Commander more but it kind of went a little stale on me. I still like to take it for a spin once in a while, though. :)

Motorodeo came out so late in the system's life, and in such limited quantities, that few people ever even saw it. In the '90s and most of the '00s, it was an extremely rare game--it was an R9 or R10 until the South American warehouse find about 10 years ago. It never had a chance to ingrain itself as a title people think of when they think of the Atari 2600.

• Like 1

It's inspired by Sea Wolf if I'm not wrong. I think it's overlooked possibly because it's an early game that's timed. It's not a very sophisticated game but I think it's really fun.

Yeah, it seems pretty advanced graphically though for such an early title. I'd never even heard of it until recently!

Motorodeo came out so late in the system's life, and in such limited quantities, that few people ever even saw it. In the '90s and most of the '00s, it was an extremely rare game--it was an R9 or R10 until the South American warehouse find about 10 years ago. It never had a chance to ingrain itself as a title people think of when they think of the Atari 2600.

But it seems like it's rarely talked about in fan circles, or am I wrong..? It's another one I had no idea about but was pleasantly surprised when I finally played it. I'd combed over the 2600 library so much, too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ski Hunt!

I am quite reluctant to say it's totally unpopular, as Taiwanese carts were very common in Europe, but it's not exactly showing on any of the VCS' top-lists either.

How much I love this game, oh man! And the copyright note reads 1983, so it was ready almost at the peak of Activision's success with the system.

There's smooth-scrolling background, interesting shaded sky and mountains on the horizon, no flicker and colorful sprites for the protagonist and these, uhm, animals? that he shoots? what?

This is great, absolutely insane wildlife killing action for another 20 or 30 miles!

Then the obstacle race again, but what's that!? My winter scourge is getting seizures or war flashbacks? Am I in some kind of psychodelic trance from all those killing sprees? Or wait... It's only on these dodging sections that the screen intermittently goes black and white, flickers and rolls more and more often. So all the murder is actually therapeutic, it gives me peace and focus! It's when the bloods stops to flow, that I'm going out of my mind and the race of life gets harder and harder, to a point where you just crash into something constantly. By that time, the music has already lowered down it's tone to the liking of something you'd more likely connect with Silent Hill rather than an Atari game. Oh, did I mention that the slaughter levels are completely silent? You can only hear your gun, a break in that repeating pitch-shifting cacophony that serves a s a background music is more than welcome. And then, after another frantic round of shooting a mix of enraged animals, the next level re-syncs the game speed with proper refresh rate or line count or another, and it's all calm again. No disorienting shakes and double vision, no flashes nor color loss. The catharsis is over, you are free to leave the ski and the gun. But not until you set a high-score none of your friends can beat. Not until you beat your own high-score again today.

Its so well done, so polished on the visual side, has background music - agonizing mostly, but music generally seems rare on the VCS, so props for that.

If only they did their lines/refresh rate math properly for their display routines (kernel?), that would have been pretty much a perfect product...

...If not for the totally ridiculous and random premise of shooting a bunch of wild animals on your way down the slope. What the hell, so absurd!

10 out of 10, would Ski Hunt again anytime.

Edited by Mef
  • Like 1

I actually like Stellar Track, it's the best version of the old Trek mainframe game after the old DOS EGA Trek. Great strategy title, one of the few on the system.

I'm also pretty impressed with Xenophobe. It's not the prettiest, but it captures most of the enemies and gameplay elements from the arcade game. No one ever seems to mention it.

Radar Lock is great too.

• Like 2