IGNORED

Is this SEGA NOMAD worth $105 ?

johncena1973

The Nomad's not really worth having in this day and age. You are better off with a high quality, portable emulation solution for on-the-go Genesis games. The games will look better, it won't be as bulky and the battery will last longer. The NOMAD does have A/V out, but if you're going to do that you might as well just use an original Genesis console for a fraction of the price. It's a neat curiosity and maybe something to have if you collect hardware, but if you intend on using it as a portable, there are better ways to go about it these days.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get a Go for the same reason I wouldn't have gotten a Go when it was current. The PSP has such a great library of its own, you're just doing yourself a disservice by giving up the ability to play UMD games. It's not like there's any real advantage that the PSP Go has; it's just missing that pretty major feature. I guess it's a bit smaller, but I feel like that's even less important now than it was at the time. And it's not like the PSP's big to begin with, especially by modern standards. It's smaller than a 3DS XL and it's completely dwarfed by the Switch. So don't give up being able to play UMD games.

I'd get a 2000 or a 3000. The 3000 is theoretically the best PSP out there but its advantages over the 2000 are very minor. A different screen, a microphone, and differently shaped buttons. The screen is supposed to be an improvement but I've read mixed things from people who have owned/seen both. It is a wider gamut screen, but games were not really designed to take advantage of that so a lot of them look washed out if you enable that feature. It's supposedly brighter, though, but some say it has visible scanlines. So it seems like kind of a wash to me.

So, a 2000 or 3000, whichever is cheaper and comes in a color you like.

$100.00 or a Nomad,that's brutal.

I should have bought more of them back in the day when Toys R Us were clearing them out at $30.00 each :P

Well its up to you if you really want one for whatever someone may be asking for. But let me give you abit of warning about two things that are not so great about the Nomad.

Battery life. Either play with a wall charger or be prepared to pump that baby with 6 flashlight batteries every 2 hours. Its brutal and kills its portability.

Other thing that I dislike about it is the actual screen. The games blur on it with fast movement. Sonic, 2D shooters, basically any fast movement games will leave this nasty screen blur that just takes away from a clean looking picture when everything is just sitting still. I'd ask the seller if the screen has been upgraded to one where this no longer happens.

There are moders out there that can replace these screens with ones that kill the blur nowdays so you might go that route,but its more money invested into a possibly pricey handheld (depending on what you pay for one. ) Oh yes and forget about playing Virtua Racing on one,it won't work. Dunno if its the size of the cart or if its the special chip that won't work well with the Nomad but its been well known for years that the game won't work with this handheld. Something to do with the special chip within the cart that isn't friendly with the Nomad handndheld.

I love mine as a collector's item, but it bothers me knowing that if I ever wanted to pop in one one of my favorite games ever,it just won't work with it. Meh.

I'd be weary of buying one unless its been modded to solve these issues listed above.

Sounds great to me. If so, may i ask you this question ? What kind of PSP best suite for emulator ? PSP GO or PSP-2000 ? Thanks.

I wish I could be of more help, but my PSPs were all done for me several years ago.....I dunno a 'firmware' from a Fig Newton. (shrug)

Plenty of info online for the tech handy, though (which I am not).

post-61233-0-78220200-1500818049_thumb.jpg

post-61233-0-24924800-1500818084_thumb.jpg

I'm way late. I used to love my Nomad. But Austin is right, it's completely obsolete now. If you want to play Genesis games play on real Genesis. if you want to play Genesis games on the go, there are superior modern alternatives. I'm normally pretty big about playing on original hardware, but in this case playing emulated on a modern portable is vastly superior to playing on an original Nomad.

The screen on the Nomad was far less than ideal even when it was new. Now well over two decades on, it would be a miracle if you got one where the screen could even pass muster of being useable. The thing is HUGE, and you absolutely need an AC adapter because it eats through batteries and a battery pack with lightning speed.

If you want it as a collectible, and that is worth $100 for you, then I would have said go for it. If you're wanting to PLAY it, then $100 is ridiculous.

• Like 2

I have a Nomad myself. It basically sits on a shelf and looks cool, and it's a fun conversation piece. As a portable console, it's bulky, the original screen is pretty awful, and it sucks as a portable console. 6 AA's will get sucked down in about 2 hours, if that! I paid $30 for mine years ago from GameStop. I wouldn't pay $100 for one today, no matter how rare they are.

Speaking of PSP's... I have a PSP 3000 as well, and I really need to mod that thing. Only thing that's kept me from doing so is that they take those stupid proprietary Sony Memory Sticks. Can I get a Micro SD-to-Memory Stick adapter and run things from there?

In my opinion, no vintage handheld, Nomad included, is worth having without a screen mod. The screens on handhelds prior to the GBA with AGS 101 screens are poorly saturated to modern eyes and almost always suffer from motion blur. Anyway, with a screen mod, vintage handhelds are excellent, Nomad included, although in the Nomad's case you also want the battery pack if you don't want to use it off an AC adapter all of the time (and yes, even with a screen mod, it's a bit aggressive on batteries). So, for $105, I'd save my money for a modded model if you can't do it yourself.

• Like 1

In my opinion, no vintage handheld, Nomad included, is worth having without a screen mod. The screens on handhelds prior to the GBA with AGS 101 screens are poorly saturated to modern eyes and almost always suffer from motion blur. Anyway, with a screen mod, vintage handhelds are excellent, Nomad included, although in the Nomad's case you also want the battery pack if you don't want to use it off an AC adapter all of the time (and yes, even with a screen mod, it's a bit aggressive on batteries). So, for $105, I'd save my money for a modded model if you can't do it yourself.

There is a shop here that occasionally gets a modded Nomad in, but they sell for about $200 or more. They have a fully modded Turbo Express for like $399 currently if I recall. So the point being, that $100 is really only about halfway there to a fully modded up Nomad. I'd like a Nomad, but I'm not sure I would actually use it. Kinda like how I have a CDX but I never use it. Then again the CDX only ran me $40 when I purchased it back in 2005 I think it was so I felt like for that price, I had to pick one up.

I'd get a PSP 3000 if you can. The 3000 has visible interlacing during vertical scrolling (which is no big deal), but the 2000 still suffers from ghosting. It's an improvement over the original PSP, but it is still noticeable. The ghosting issue ruined the original PSP for me, so I waited until the 3000 to buy one again. The screen on the 3000 is also brighter, and the colors are more vibrant and not at all washed out.

Edited by Noah98