IGNORED

2609 Console Serial Number Stickers

Hi all,

I came across this 2609 with a rather weird serial number sticker. Looked around AA a bit as I remember a thread pertaining to serial numbers and such but can't find it so.... was hoping someone out there may have answers. The first pic is a normal 2609 sticker and the second is from a unit I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago. I have never seen a serial number over 2 mil let alone 4 mil and the sticker its self is different. The console looks the same, it's just the sticker that is different. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

HJpost-36757-0-66486000-1500868311_thumb.jpg

post-36757-0-55446400-1500868318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Humblejack

You might be thinking of this thread. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198812-the-official-intellivision-serial-number-database/

This is my guess explaining the serial number. This is one of the earlier machines made in Hong Kong. What year is imprinted in plastic at the top? When Mattel shifted manufacturing to Hong Kong my guess is they started with serial number 4million so not to overlap with those made in US. Once they stopped production in the US they changed to serial numbers around 300k. It's only a guess but the plastic molding seem to indicate an earlier HK model. If you take it apart we could read the date on the chips.

Edited by mr_me

You might be thinking of this thread. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198812-the-official-intellivision-serial-number-database/

This is my guess explaining the serial number. This is one of the earlier machines made in Hong Kong. What year is imprinted in plastic at the top? When Mattel shifted manufacturing to Hong Kong my guess is they started with serial number 4million so not to overlap with those made in US. Once they stopped production in the US they changed to serial numbers around 300k. It's only a guess but the plastic molding seem to indicate an earlier HK model. If you take it apart we could read the date on the chips.

I did see that thread. The only problems with the database is that it does not have the place of MFGR: and that I submitted about 5 Intellivisions about a year ago and they are not on the list so I assume it is no longer active. I think this database is great, I use it often to see where my concoles fit into the scheme of things. The thread I was really thinking of gave a guesstimate as to what the SN meant. Say numbers 123 were USA and 456 were Hong Kong an RT Hong Kong numbers were 789. I think that sort of info would be very informative to help sort out the questions.

I wish the database had the SN prefixes. From what I see when it comes to model 2609. Everything under 200k is made in USA. Nothing between ~180k and 300k. The 2609A are made in Hong Kong for the American market and start at about SN 300k. The 2609 with prefix HR are made in Hong Kong for Canadians and start at about SN 1M. These Canadian models seem not to correspond to 2609A in the same range but look more like earlier ones. They might be a different SN group, not sure.

The 2609 with AT are made in Taiwan for the American market seem to start at SN 1M; not sure if these SN are mixed with others or not. And then there are some oddball ones like yours here and I'm guessing are relatively rare (few thousand).

I wish the database had the SN prefixes. From what I see when it comes to model 2609. Everything under 200k is made in USA. Nothing between ~180k and 300k. The 2609A are made in Hong Kong for the American market and start at about SN 300k. The 2609 with prefix HR are made in Hong Kong for Canadians and start at about SN 1M. These Canadian models seem not to correspond to 2609A in the same range but look more like earlier ones. They might be a different SN group, not sure.

The 2609 with AT are made in Taiwan for the American market seem to start at SN 1M; not sure if these SN are mixed with others or not. And then there are some oddball ones like yours here and I'm guessing are relatively rare (few thousand).

That is a great analogy. I think I will contact Rev and see if he will add a "Manufactured In" column. It may be too late for the ones already entered but perhaps will clarify future inputs.