IGNORED

Is a vintage PC worth it these days?

The GF4 Ti4600 is a classic video card (the FX series and every one else that followed do not render certain effects properly). If I could have only two AGP video cards, it would be this one and a Voodoo 5 -- and both come in Mac versions.

Yeah the Mac GF4Ti is the card I'm trying to get for it. It's not massively faster than the Radeon, but it is the best card available for it.

My first Mac I ever had, when I essentially switched from PCs, was a Graphite G4 400 which was running a Voodoo 5 card. That thing was perfection for running UT. I toyed with putting one together just to do that, but Mac Voodoo cards are so hard to get hold of because they were the only PCI versions of the card and you can flash them to work on a PC. So loads of them were snagged when they were worth nothing and turned into PC cards.

Well my Gateway 2000 P5-120 rebuild is finally complete....and it is AWESOME. I did run into some Win98 installation quirks due to the fact that the BIOS has issues with CD-ROM booting *sometimes* and I had no floppies...and I didn't feel like removing my only internal floppy emulator from my A2000 for the project. But I did find another solution that I will get in to in more depth in a longer post (with pics) tomorrow sometime. For now, here are the final specs:

Windows 98SE (of course)

180MHz MMX Overdrive CPU

64MB Memory

Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB PCI

Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 4MB PCI

Soundblaster AWE64 Gold

Gateway Telepath 28.8 Modem (just because it was there...haha)

5-port USB PCI card (working in 98SE thanks to Osgeld!)

CF to IDE adapter mounted in a 5 1/4 front bay for easy removal of "hard drives". It is the primary and only "drive" in the machine now sporting a 2GB CF PATA

DVD-ROM drive

Brand New Sidewinder gamepad (yes, it was sealed and I opened it. Best $10 ever spent!)

Brand New NOS Gateway 2000 keyboard

Brand New NOS Gateway wheel mouse

It was a lot of fun setting this up to be honest. Brought back a lot of memories ;)

Edited by eightbit

Congrats! Love the Verite accelerators. I have a V1000 and a V2100 (same Diamond card you have).

It's pretty amazing to play hardware-accelerated Descent 2 from DOS. It looks fantastic. It only works with the V1000, however.

But there is a Voodoo version out there that runs from Windows and looks great too. Descent 1 & 2 are some of my favorite DOS games.

Well my Gateway 2000 P5-120 rebuild is finally complete....and it is AWESOME. I did run into some Win98 installation quirks due to the fact that the BIOS has issues with CD-ROM booting *sometimes* and I had no floppies...and I didn't feel like removing my only internal floppy emulator from my A2000 for the project. But I did find another solution that I will get in to in more depth in a longer post (with pics) tomorrow sometime. For now, here are the final specs:

Windows 98SE (of course)

180MHz MMX Overdrive CPU

64MB Memory

Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB PCI

Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 4MB PCI

Soundblaster AWE64 Gold

Gateway Telepath 28.8 Modem (just because it was there...haha)

5-port USB PCI card (working in 98SE thanks to Osgeld!)

CF to IDE adapter mounted in a 5 1/4 front bay for easy removal of "hard drives". It is the primary and only "drive" in the machine now sporting a 2GB CF PATA

DVD-ROM drive

Brand New Sidewinder gamepad (yes, it was sealed and I opened it. Best $10 ever spent!)

Brand New NOS Gateway 2000 keyboard

Brand New NOS Gateway wheel mouse

It was a lot of fun setting this up to be honest. Brought back a lot of memories ;)

pretty beefcake for a pentium, grats

There's a PCI version of the V5 for PCs too

If anyone is interested I have previously modded a ATI Radieon 7000 PCI pc card to work with mac though you have to replace the bios rom which is a 8 pin soic, and have a working OS9.22 machine, in a nutshell you take off the 64Kb rom replace it with a 128k rom, boot into OS9.22 (with a different video card while the ati is installed) run the ati software update which does drivers AND bios to flash the mac bios onto the card

this should work with Radeon 7000/8500/9000/9200 pci cards, from there it works on ppc osx, my power mac 9600/300 with that 64 meg 7000 pci card, ran quake 3 full options at 1280x1024 @ around 60fps give or take a bunch of crap on screen (ok consider my AMDK6/2 350 did just about as well with a pair of voodoo 2's in SLI but at like 800x600)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Congrats! Love the Verite accelerators. I have a V1000 and a V2100 (same Diamond card you have).

It's pretty amazing to play hardware-accelerated Descent 2 from DOS. It looks fantastic. It only works with the V1000, however.

But there is a Voodoo version out there that runs from Windows and looks great too. Descent 1 & 2 are some of my favorite DOS games.

I wonder if patching it with v2dosfix would allow it to work with the V2100?

http://reocities.com/siliconvalley/campus/6499/myutil/myutil.html

The author of that program seems to think that his program is unnecessary for DOS to work with VQuake. From his readme : The latest Speedy3D API natively detect both the V1000 and V2x00, such games should already work under DOS. The latest Vquake and Indycar II patches are examples of recent Speedy3D games which do *NOT* need fixing."

The author of that program seems to think that his program is unnecessary for DOS to work with VQuake. From his readme : The latest Speedy3D API natively detect both the V1000 and V2x00, such games should already work under DOS. The latest Vquake and Indycar II patches are examples of recent Speedy3D games which do *NOT* need fixing."

I was referring to DOS Descent II however ;)

Not evangelizing or advertising or suggesting you should play anything other than 2005 Descent with our without 3D acceleration ... just putting this here in case any fans of the old game might have missed it:

Descent was recently remastered/remade/reimagined for modern PCs with or without VR goggles. I backed the Kickstarter, I have the game, but it makes me just as sick and confused as it did many years ago on DOS. For many people, I'm sure that's a feature.

You might like it, though: https://descendentstudios.com/

• Like 1

I remember trying to patch D2 to get it to work with the V2100, but I kept getting errors. Here's a thread where I discuss the problem: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44386&

I eventually found a V1000, but it wasn't easy. It's one of my favorite vintage video cards.

But do try out the Voodoo version. It's a 3rd party fix, but it looks fantastic and should run great with a V1.

Also, there's a small chance that your Diamond is a V2200 instead of a V2100. I think Rendition ran short of V2100s and sent out V2200s for some Diamond cards. V2200s were the fastest Verite.

Not evangelizing or advertising or suggesting you should play anything other than 2005 Descent with our without 3D acceleration ... just putting this here in case any fans of the old game might have missed it:

Descent was recently remastered/remade/reimagined for modern PCs with or without VR goggles. I backed the Kickstarter, I have the game, but it makes me just as sick and confused as it did many years ago on DOS. For many people, I'm sure that's a feature.

Definitely going to check this out. Thanks!

It is! I wouldn't mind playing Descent in a 3-axis trainer either. Be so cool.

So just a couple of pictures of the final product....except the CD-ROM in these pics was exchanged for a DVD-ROM shortly after and the CF replaced with a WD CF 2GB. I played POD today on this and it was 100% perfect. Very smooth :)

I had only one quirk with this model and that is the CD-ROM booting from POST. The option is in the BIOS and I was able to boot the Win98SE CD-ROM quite a few times, but out of nowhere it just stopped working properly. It would start the CD-ROM where it asks if you want to start from Win98 CD or HDD, and if I chose the CD option it sat there at a blinking cursor. Then some other times (like 1 out of 20 reboots) it would work.

What I think it is is simply a wonky BIOS with a very early implementation of CD-ROM booting. Each time it didn't work the floppy light would come on and stay on. I bet if I had a Win98 3.5 floppy boot disk it would have worked just fine...but I have no disks.

This BIOS is also weird in the fact that the primary and secondary IDE ports do not allow secondary slaves. There isn't even an option in the BIOS, and if I slave another CD-ROM for example it will just lock up on post after detecting the primary CD-ROM. The BIOS *does* however have a list of FOUR IDE hard drives for the primary channel. Huh? I have no idea how that is supposed to happen....and I don't ever recall seeing that in the past in the BIOS on these old machines....really weird.

In any case, I did something a bit different in order to get Win98 to the CF card. I installed Win98 in VirtualBox on my modern PC first. Then I mounted the resulting VHD in disk management to the OS and imaged it directly to the CF card using HDD RAWCopy. Then after bringing it back to the Gateway and booting up (and it having to discover all hardware...copying the "win98" folder to the CF helped so that I didn't have to putz with the CD anymore) I had to remove all of the components that VirtualBox added from the device manager in order to resolve the 20 or so conflicts (with the REAL hardware). Once cleaned up it works perfectly. A bit of a bitch and there are probably better solutions, but it worked.

After installing all drivers and testing everything for perfection I imaged the 2GB CF card using Win32DiskImager so that I will *never* have to do that again. Windows 98 reinstall (if I mess it up down the road testing crap...which I know I will) would now take around 3 minutes ;)

post-21417-0-07708900-1502936481_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-80581300-1502936495_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-04253300-1502936509_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-05560900-1502936524_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-27559600-1502936536_thumb.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

you still have two slots free lol

in regards to your IDE confusion, cable select cables were often the norm on commercially made machines of this era, so I bet if you got 2 cs cables where one connector is labeled master and slave, set all your jumpers on the devices to CS and let her roll you can get 4 devices on 2 channels no problem

• Like 1

you still have two slots free lol

in regards to your IDE confusion, cable select cables were often the norm on commercially made machines of this era, so I bet if you got 2 cs cables where one connector is labeled master and slave, set all your jumpers on the devices to CS and let her roll you can get 4 devices on 2 channels no problem

Thanks for that tip. I will be looking into that!