IGNORED

Space Game

Karl G

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since we have done a public release, but a lot has been done in preparation for the upcoming cart release. Here's an updated version with the following changes:

• Updated between waves sequence with better graphics
  • Per-session high score display
  • A number of cosmetic bug fixes

The upcoming cart release will also have:

• Persistent high score saving in all three game modes with an AtariVox or SaveKey.
  • Special bonus wave accessible once per game after the wormhole sequences.
  • Like 2

I quite like this game! I like the large variety of enemies and powerups. However, I feel there should be some brief invincibility when you respawn. I've had a few occasions were I die less than a second after I respawn. Can't wait to see the finished version!

Thanks! Actually, there is a brief period of invulnerability, where the ship will flash for about two seconds. However, it goes away prematurely if you fire during this period, which may be why you haven't noticed it so far.

• Like 1

The game certainly has more polish now and IMO, an appropriate level of difficulty. I've played several games now (only made it past the 1st Boss) and it is addicting. Certainly has that "one more game" quality to it. :thumbsup: I like the colors of the between waves sequence

I'll be looking to purchase a CIB for sure. This artwork deserves a box!

Thanks for the pre-release ROM.

post-21941-0-06224300-1527993813.jpg post-21941-0-20709900-1527993826.jpg

***Personal new high score. I made it to the 2nd Boss, but couldn't get past it.

post-21941-0-57700500-1527998909.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've hacked various components of the game to work around the limitations of the Atari Flashback Portable to make the score and titlescreen work correctly, and to disable the starfield effect that the portable also can't handle. Once I've done a bit more testing, I'll upload this version. Here's how the modified titlescreen looks now.

post-48311-0-35837500-1533585725_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've hacked various components of the game to work around the limitations of the Atari Flashback Portable to make the score and titlescreen work correctly, and to disable the starfield effect that the portable also can't handle. Once I've done a bit more testing, I'll upload this version. Here's how the modified titlescreen looks now.

attachicon.gif38612187_217200035638677_7701830763590713344_n.jpg

looking good!

The new binary for the Atari Flashback Portable has been tested, and has been posted! While I miss the starfield effect, I think it's still a lot of fun on the AFP. Let me know if any other issues are discovered.

works on my AFP v1!!!! good job!.... I added it to the "List" :thumbsup:

Heya Karl G! We played Space Game live on Twitch on our show ZeroPage Homebrew yesterday, tons of fun! Thanks for making it!

You can check out the YouTube archive of the show here:

AWESOME!! Thanks so much for featuring our game. It was really fun to see real-time reactions of players figuring out the nuances of the game. Part of me wishes that I could have played the game without the insider knowledge of how the powerups/downs work and how each of the aliens behave. Figuring that stuff out is part of the fun.

I've been meaning to post some game footage so that people could see a couple of the bosses and the wormhole sequence after each boss. If I can figure out how to post, I'll try to do that this week. I think I'm finally done tweaking the manual, so hopefully we are close to actual release.

Really enjoyed the show. Karl & I have been playing other Homebrews lately. Planning on checking out past & future episodes!

Thanks again!

• Like 2

I enjoyed watching this as well! Thanks for playing and sharing your impressions! :-)

There's a huge amount of content here, and I'll have to catch up on some of your past ones as well. The coverage of Space Game begins around the 32 minute mark.

Did you guys eventually catch on to the fact that the orange beanie-like Kraal can only be destroyed when they are not moving? :-)

• Like 2

No problem, it's was a blast playing it! We didn't catch on to the vulnerability of Kraal, no wonder we were having such difficulty it!

I enjoyed watching this as well! Thanks for playing and sharing your impressions! :-)

There's a huge amount of content here, and I'll have to catch up on some of your past ones as well. The coverage of Space Game begins around the 32 minute mark.

Did you guys eventually catch on to the fact that the orange beanie-like Kraal can only be destroyed when they are not moving? :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

38612187_217200035638677_7701830763590713344_n.jpg

Sorry I read this late but how did you get the titlescreen kernel to work on the portable? Is it possible to make a general modified version for bB users?

I did some ugly hacks of the asm code to make the 48 pixel minikernels as well as the score kernel display correctly on the AFP. The 96 pixel minikernel could probably also be similarly hacked, but I decided to just stick with the 48 pixel minikernels for the AFP version.

I don't want to put up my hacked versions for download since I don't want to create confusion with the official version, but I can send you what I have with instructions if you are wanting to use the titlescreen kernel with the AFP.

• Like 1