IGNORED

Powerpak vs Everdrive N8

It's been a long time since I've actually looked into this, but is there any reason to get an Everdrive N8 over a Powerpak? I currently have a Powerpak and it works just fine, but I was wondering if there were any advantages the Everdrive has?

It's been a long time since I've actually looked into this, but is there any reason to get an Everdrive N8 over a Powerpak? I currently have a Powerpak and it works just fine, but I was wondering if there were any advantages the Everdrive has?

The Everdrive has a higher compatibility rating and uses SD instead of CF.

• Like 3

Everdrive also saves games like a game should, the old powerpak is crusty and makes you reset the thing, then save the SRAM to the CF or your data is lost. Cumbersome and outdated hardcore along those lines.

Or you could just use the PowerMappers save states and not have to worry about resetting the console.

So a workaround got hacked into it for save states. That's a solid improvement. Still not the natural order, but it gets the job done. The only remaining hang up then would be the need of a CF reader on a computer or buying one to go into a USB drive unless you can rewire the thing and hack a SD card reader into one.

I guess if you have something that works nothing wrong with that, CF card or not. :P The N8 is a little newer of course.. until the next iteration (or competitor) comes through.

Although these days I tend to power up with NT Mini with its built in flashcart most of the time and keep my stock NES unplugged.

I thought I read something about the powerpak not always having sound after the game resumed from a save state??

Nope. Never had the issue myself. Maybe it was an issue at one point, but I can't say for sure.

I think ultimately you are best off getting an Everdrive N8 if you are buying for the first time in 2017. If you already have a PowerPak, there's little reason to upgrade.

I know that comparisons of these two usually only include the specs of the initial Powerpak firmware.

I got a Powerpak first, but kept it after getting an N8 for the hell of it. I don't know if the latest firmwares have pushed one ahead of the other overall, but last time I checked, only the Powerpak could play NES sound rips, which is priceless for me.

Only thing which definitely hasn't changed, is that the Powerpak uses more reliable, but less convenient memory cards.

Or you could just use the PowerMappers save states and not have to worry about resetting the console.

Problem is when you do that, you must leave other mappers off-line, so you loose compatibility. Before the N8 came out, I actually had two CF cards with roms, for the ones that needed the mappers that were bumped. I don't think you HAVE to upgrade, but the N8 at least is still being supported by potential updates.

Edited by Greg2600

Problem is when you do that, you must leave other mappers off-line, so you loose compatibility. Before the N8 came out, I actually had two CF cards with roms, for the ones that needed the mappers that were bumped.

What other mappers need to be left out when using Power Mappers? I'm just curious--it's not something I've looked into. I generally only use the save state function for role playing games and some random action titles I may be trying to learn.

I don't think you HAVE to upgrade, but the N8 at least is still being supported by potential updates.

Yes, this is true. Like I said, go with the N8 if it's one's first NES flash cart (it's cheaper, has update potential and some very minor advantages). But, current functionality is mostly the same at this moment in time and if you've already got a Power Pak, there's not much reason to drop another $130+ after shipping and a SD card. Might as well put that cash towards a flash cart one doesn't already have.

I too have a Powerpak and I've really enjoyed it a lot! I do have newer mappers on mine that allow the save states and with my Hi-Def NES installed, I can both soft and hard reset the NES from a button combo on the controller without issue. So with those two things together, I've got the ability to play pretty much any game I would want with expanded audio when required.

So I have to mirror what others have said Tempest....If you don't have a flashcart for the NES yet, then I guess go for the newest and current supported one being the N8. If you however, can find someone selling their old Powerpak and can get it for cheap (Like I did...) then you can't really go wrong there either.

As for being able to read CF cards...this is a null issue. You can pick up multicard readers for the PC for cheap! I always buy the multireaders that you install into a drive bay on all the PCs I build. They always have CF, SD, MicroSD, hell even Sony's Memory crap in most cases can be read. You can also get external readers for cheap as well.

Where do you get the latest mappers for the PowerPak? I think I last updated mine a year or two ago. Has anything changed?

How does the saving work on the PowerPak? Do you really have to reset the game every time you save?

I heard this yesterday from an anonymous but notable source: 1) The ED hardware is awesome but has shitty code. 2) The Powerpak hardware is garbage but has decent code.

Take it for what you will. :P

Edited by NE146

Okay, had to brush up on my own Nintendo Age postings for info, ha ha ha.

https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

Tempest, the latest mappers are the "Power Mappers." Link above. Some of the obscure mappers are not supported, such as the Sunsoft 5B for Mr. Gimmick, but most are. However, Game Genie support had to be removed to fit the In-Game Menu and Save States. Unless that has changed. Also, the PowerPak saves have always worked by creating a file on your card, which the mapper uses as a save file. In terms of the code, the reason is that the Power Pak has enjoyed 3rd party mapper support for years. The N8 is new, but it's being supported 3rd party as well.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

Okay, had to brush up on my own Nintendo Age postings for info, ha ha ha.

https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

Tempest, the latest mappers are the "Power Mappers." Link above. Some of the obscure mappers are not supported, such as the Sunsoft 5B for Mr. Gimmick, but most are. However, Game Genie support had to be removed to fit the In-Game Menu and Save States. Unless that has changed. Also, the PowerPak saves have always worked by creating a file on your card, which the mapper uses as a save file. In terms of the code, the reason is that the Power Pak has enjoyed 3rd party mapper support for years. The N8 is new, but it's being supported 3rd party as well.

I have save state ability, though I've not really used it, have support for Mr. Gimmick working just fine, and sill have game genie ability. Or at least that still comes up when starting a game to enter in genie codes if I wish. I mainly got the power mappers so that I could do the much easier return to power pak menu reboot that they provide.

Then again, I'm not a hard core NES player so for what I was interested in, the Powerpak does what I need. And again, I picked it up for half the price they usually go for as it was sold used in a local game store near me.