IGNORED

Getting BASIC prog in a remote textfile running on a TI?

blakespot

I appreciate the response to my earlier thread asking how to get a BASIC program keyed into a textfile running on a TI via the FlashROM99. No real way to do that.

What I'm trying to do now is take this BASIC program in a text file on a remote system into a real TI-99/4A and running in Extended BASIC.

What I have to work with:

- TI-99/4a

- PEB w/ 32K, Serial, 5.25" floppy

- WiFi232 device

- TIMXT term prog on cart (FR99)

On an emulator I assume I can just paste the text file into the emulator in TI Extended BASIC and run there, but I want to run on my physical TI and I have no way to write out 5.25" floppies to feed the TI.

Thanks!

bp

The simplest approach would be via tape.
I don't know if the TI can load untokenized code like some other machines though.
Even if it does, you still need a tool to turn the program into a properly formatted tape image and wav file.
If it can't load plain ASCII, you still need a tokenizer.

open emu, say classic99 as i know it has the paste function

open ti basic

paste text file

type SAVE DSK1.FILENAME

connect ti to pc with straight through serial cable

Either:

open timxt on the ti, hyperterm or equivalent on the pc, i use syncterm a lot..

ensure communications are working by typing on both sides, you should see your typing on the oppostite side

do xmodem transfer from the pc to the ti and select the classic99\DSK1\FILENAME file that you saved earlier, save to DSK1. or whatever on the TI you have/like.. reset to TI BASIC and type OLD DSK1.FILENAME

OR:

load hdx server on pc and point file directory to clasic99\DSK1 directory

load cfhdxs1 from disk OR xb27 suite

copy file with file manager to a local drive

open in ti basic

Greg

The simplest approach would be via tape.

open emu, say classic99 as i know it has the paste function

open ti basic

paste text file

Save it to tape.

Convert to wav and load from the PC playing the wav file?

I've never done it.

Right. MAME has a paste feature, but it is unreliable, since it does not care about the speed at which the characters are accepted (and BASIC does become slower the more lines are entered).

For that reason, TIImageTool allows you to save a text file as a BASIC file, and then you can load it in the emulation.

So, I finished getting the BASIC program entered in a text editor and I got Classic99 running on Windows. I pasted the text in (pasted fine) and it runs in emulator. I saved it out to a DSK device and a file appears in the DSK directory. Can I send that file to the TI via serial using TIMXT and save it to a physical floppy on the TI and run it in XB? Or will that not work with that file C99 created?

Thanks.

bp

• Like 1

Yse, it will work. That was one of the primary purposes of using the PC file system - to be able to just XMODEM the files across. ;)

(Assuming you didn't change the configuration, TIFILES is the default format. Some people change it to V9T9 format, which won't work. You would know if you did.)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, folks! I got the program running on real metal and made my entry to the r/Retrobattlestations BASIC Month competition. I took a video, linked in my Reddit submission:

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/comments/6qt6lt/reentered_a_basic_program_i_first_keyed_in_on_my/

Cheers.

• Like 4