IGNORED

Who makes the best controllers?

derFunkenstein

I need to buy new Genesis controllers, and I'd like them to be as close as possible to the Six-Button Arcade Pad I got back in 1994 when I got Street Fighter II. I bought controllers without first consulting other gamers, so I got a pair of Retro-Bit Genesis RetroPads, and they're OK. They definitely feel mostly-legit, but the D-pad bottoms out and the wire wrap has already come loose from where the cord goes into he controller so now I see individual wires. I've had these things a month, so they're not instilling confidence in me. I'll hang onto them, though, because at least they work.

An aside: I also have a Retro-Bit dogbone NES controller and that D-pad also bottoms out, so I'm probably done buying Retro-Bit controllers.

I see Hyperkin makes a very similar controller but I'm afraid it has the same flaws. I'm guessing they're also made in the same Chinese factory and re-branded. I'm also not a fan of Hyperkin just because of the RetroN5 stealing libretro source kerfuffle.

I'm definitely prepared to put decent money (not PS4 Dual Shock 4 money, but more than $8 that most of these clones cost) into a single controller as long as it's as good as the Sega controller of yore.

Thanks for any advice!

I need to buy new Genesis controllers, and I'd like them to be as close as possible to the Six-Button Arcade Pad I got back in 1994 when I got Street Fighter II. I bought controllers without first consulting other gamers, so I got a pair of Retro-Bit Genesis RetroPads, and they're OK. They definitely feel mostly-legit, but the D-pad bottoms out and the wire wrap has already come loose from where the cord goes into he controller so now I see individual wires. I've had these things a month, so they're not instilling confidence in me. I'll hang onto them, though, because at least they work.

An aside: I also have a Retro-Bit dogbone NES controller and that D-pad also bottoms out, so I'm probably done buying Retro-Bit controllers.

I see Hyperkin makes a very similar controller but I'm afraid it has the same flaws. I'm guessing they're also made in the same Chinese factory and re-branded. I'm also not a fan of Hyperkin just because of the RetroN5 stealing libretro source kerfuffle.

I'm definitely prepared to put decent money (not PS4 Dual Shock 4 money, but more than $8 that most of these clones cost) into a single controller as long as it's as good as the Sega controller of yore.

Thanks for any advice!

Why not just get some original Sega controllers? They are certainly cheap enough.

Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I didn't actually say anything about that in the first post. I have concerns about getting Sega controllers because they're getting up there in age. All of mine are basically shot, including a pair of 3-buttons and a pair of 6-buttons (one of which was never any good because it was the Genesis 3 pack-in controller)

Sorry, I didn't actually say anything about that in the first post. I have concerns about getting Sega controllers because they're getting up there in age. All of mine are basically shot, including a pair of 3-buttons and a pair of 6-buttons (one of which was never any good because it was the Genesis 3 pack-in controller)

Really? Weird. 90% of my stuff from that era still works perfectly. Solid build quality.

The 3-buttons are off in different ways. One of them has a D-pad that seems to always press left or right diagonal when I press down. The other's C button is loose and unresponsive. I might be able to make something useful out of those two. My original Arcade Pad's D-pad broke off the stick. I could probably get a dead one and fix it with spare parts. I was just hoping someone had good build quality in a current model.

My NES controllers are for the most part solid. My original SNES controllers all work like they should, and same with my Saturn model 2. It's just the Genesis I really need to get sorted.

The 3-buttons are off in different ways. One of them has a D-pad that seems to always press left or right diagonal when I press down. The other's C button is loose and unresponsive. I might be able to make something useful out of those two. My original Arcade Pad's D-pad broke off the stick. I could probably get a dead one and fix it with spare parts. I was just hoping someone had good build quality in a current model.

My NES controllers are for the most part solid. My original SNES controllers all work like they should, and same with my Saturn model 2. It's just the Genesis I really need to get sorted.

Ah, gotcha. Regarding current 'retro' controllers, I've really got no idea.

I've got a pile of original Genny controllers around here somewhere, though, so I'll keep an eye out...

Cleaning the contacts on a genesis controller can do wonders, at one point in time NONE on my controllers worked, and now they are all almost flawless!

Hmm. Something I hadn't considered. I figured there was no way dust would get in there under the rubber domes, but maybe. Thanks for the idea, I might get two working 3-button controllers out of that.

Also a question: is it a fair bet that "new in box" Sega-branded controllers on eBay are actually clones?

I bought one of the Hyperkin 6 button controllers and it is surprisingly good. I think it is equivalent to the original Sega 6 button. I still use my old asciPad SG-6, so the Hyperkin mainly gets use when I'm playing a 2 player game with someone else, so although I've had the Hyperkin for a few years, it hasn't gotten heavy use. At under $10 it's worth a try.

I bought one of the Hyperkin 6 button controllers and it is surprisingly good. I think it is equivalent to the original Sega 6 button. I still use my old asciPad SG-6, so the Hyperkin mainly gets use when I'm playing a 2 player game with someone else, so although I've had the Hyperkin for a few years, it hasn't gotten heavy use. At under $10 it's worth a try.

Can you tell me if the cord is as thick as the other controllers you have? The Retro-Bit controller cords are long enough, but very thin. I think that contributed to the plastic peeling back from the individual wires. If the Hyperkin is thick like the originals, I'll definitely pick one up.

Cleaning this is a big start in the right direction. You would be totally surprised at what gets inside those controllers. Especially if you had younger kids around as I did years back. Just the grease from your fingers and hands can get in there and collect under the rubber contacts and stuff. But yeah, I've got quite a few original Sega controllers and they are very hearty beasts. At least as hearty as original NES controllers.

Now..the 6 buttons variant that came with the Genesis 3 with the thicker overall feel...that thing is a piece of crap! I've had three pass by me over the years and they all had issues and just felt wrong using them.

Can you tell me if the cord is as thick as the other controllers you have? The Retro-Bit controller cords are long enough, but very thin. I think that contributed to the plastic peeling back from the individual wires. If the Hyperkin is thick like the originals, I'll definitely pick one up.

It's the same thickness. The cord feels more supple than my original controllers, but that could also be because it isn't 25 years old.

• Like 1

I would not be afraid of some of the third party 6 button controllers. Ascii made a couple of decent pads and mine has not failed in the 20 plus years of use but its a different 6 button style though more reminiscent of a SNES controller.

gen_asciipad_sg_6.jpg

I would tend to go for the Sega Branded 6 button ones though I have 2 of those and they are definitely superb to the new knock offs.

260px-Pad_MD_Gen3.jpg

If you have a local retro store they might have some behind the counter or hidden away that could be a good deal to snag up. I know I got my last one for $8 so I thought that was a deal.

Yeah, I can usually find the standard 3 button controllers for about $4 each and the 6 button for a little more or sometimes priced the same. I nearly always pick them up when I see them for a good price. I'm sure I have a small army of Genesis controllers at this point in various boxes.

It may be possible to repair your existing controllers as it sounds like they need new conductive rubber pads. Easy to swap out and nothing typically matches the quality of OEM items.

It is also worth noting..that the same foil dot trick used on the 5200 controllers, could and would apply to any controllers that use these rubber carbon conductive pads... just a thought...

• 1 month later...

All of these controllers from retro systems are getting old and worn. The problem is we don't remember how they played and felt when they were new. Well some of us might. I've replaced the rubber contact pads on numerous controllers with various results. As far as new controllers go, I am a big fan of the Hyperkin GN6. I think it is one of the best reproduction controllers for any system. It is inexpensive, responsive and almost exactly like an OEM. I swear they are made from the same molds as the originals.