IGNORED

MAME just bloated up again.. Post new mame bloat here.

Keatah

"MAME source releases in now packaged in one of two ways. If you are running a Windows system, you can download the smaller 7-zip self-extracting archive. If you are on a non-Windows system, you can download the sources as a standard ZIP file. Note that this ZIP file is packaged as a "double ZIP" file, meaning that when you extract the file that you download, it will produce a second large ZIP file which must also be extracted to give you the final sources. This is done to produce what is effectively a "solid" archive and improves the compression ratio of the MAME sources."

With the vast amount of storage space available today, do we really need to do this? To me, this is one tiny example of the thinking going on in the mame project these days. Busy-work. Make-work.

And another thing, "MAME originally stood for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator."

So, what does it mean now?

Finally! "Handheld LCD game additions have slowed down." But for how long? Hopefully forever.

Edited by Keatah

The built in UI is a disaster. It is so very clearly written by people who know noting about designing and testing UI's. It's absolutely horrid. I stopped grabbing new versions because I finally got a version that worked for what I wanted. I won't upgrade Mame again. For every fix they make to a game, something else breaks. And you know what - if you're just a user, they basically hate you anyway. There were some good Mame UI's for Windows, but even the developers of those were attacked by Mame guys.... It's a great project, but damn, they're miserable b*astards.

I can't say I've had any contact with the MAME guys (maybe that's good!), but frustration with the UI is how I ended up using Launchbox as a frontend for MAME (and some other stuff). It's served me well, although it's not the only option out there.

• 4 weeks later...

With an emulated computer the full keyboard is emulated and keys like escape and tab do what they normally would on the emulated computer. You can toggle the emulated keyboard on/off with the "scroll lock" key.

This, the only problem is some newer keyboards have eliminated the "scroll lock" key. I have one of those mechanical-type keyboards with back lighting. The key to control the backlighting is where the scroll-lock used to be. I had to remap this key to something else to use mess.

Thanks! That works! Now that I think about it...what the heck does the SCROLL LOCK key on a keyboard do? I certainly have never used it.

With an emulated computer the full keyboard is emulated and keys like escape and tab do what they normally would on the emulated computer. You can toggle the emulated keyboard on/off with the "scroll lock" key.

Thanks! That works! Now that I think about it...what the heck does the SCROLL LOCK key on a keyboard do? I certainly have never used it.

its for moving cursor positions around (though it can really be mapped to anything) about the only use I know for it on anything mainstream is in excel... but to tell you how much I use it I just looked at my work computer and neither the keyboard I am using, nor the one on the laptop actually have it, and I have been using this keyboard for like 4 years before noticing

• 1 month later...

Why does mame bother with software lists? Some systems have 20,000 titles and variants...

MAME ultimately desires the cleanest/purest dumps for its software lists. Similar to what is archived by this project and unlike this one.

For example, listing all pirated hacks of Archon under the C64 is not desired, but a clean dump of the EA original disk would be instead.

...and they change checksums if you save hi-scores.

Depends on how you manage the software:

post-18-0-09404500-1510876533.png

Selecting "write to diff" or "write to another image" will not change the original.

• 2 weeks later...

:D

You know the worst thing about Mame developers? The Mame Developers. They are the rudest bunch of condescending a**holes I've ever had the misfortune to communicate with. God forbid you ever ask them abut playing a game, or make a suggestion. Goodness no - they'll blast you for not liking what you get.

The built in UI is a disaster. It is so very clearly written by people who know noting about designing and testing UI's. It's absolutely horrid. I stopped grabbing new versions because I finally got a version that worked for what I wanted. I won't upgrade Mame again. For every fix they make to a game, something else breaks. And you know what - if you're just a user, they basically hate you anyway. There were some good Mame UI's for Windows, but even the developers of those were attacked by Mame guys.... It's a great project, but damn, they're miserable b*astards.

I've noticed that about several emulator authors.

It's an ego thing and heaven forbid you bruise that.

• Like 1

If I had a dollar for every computer emulation that was broken in that step...

I pretty much used MESS for all the oddball machines I wanted to play with, and now many of those are unusable.

Which ones are broken? I've only used a few but haven't had a problem so far.

-------

Regarding software lists; Mame/mess likes to keep the cartridge rom chip images as seperate files, ie one file per chip for cartridges that have two or three rom chips. The other emulators tend to merge the images for the two or three rom chips on the cartridge into a single file. The mame software lists will have the info on the different chip image files for those cartridges that have more than one.

Edited by mr_me

• 1 month later...

I'm pleased to have found that other people think the same way, about mame and other emulator bloat.

comp.sys.apple.2 newgroup.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/mr5VkbwrcEA

The only advantage to this high-level Bloat-O-Code being churned out these days is ease of maintainability and cross-platform availability.