IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Pro Controller

MayDay

Hmmm. If this comes to fruition, I'll be interested in it, but I am skeptical.

I've been working with William of Mortoff Games for the past few months in making sure this is possible (plastic injected mold design and quotes, circuit design, assembly, testing on real hardware, etc. - the works) and could be a pathway to other things down the line should the interest actually be there.

The controller will be 100% identical to the originals with the exception of the Atari logo on them for obvious reasons. From a quality stand point, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two but am open to fielding concerns and quality questions so we make sure it gets pushed back and addressed. Tactile feedback was mentioned and I want to make sure it's going to have the same feel.

If the demand is actually there (I'm giving it until December 31st, that's almost a good 2-months) then we'll proceed with getting prototypes sent back to ensure the quality on the circuitry is as expected and update everyone accordingly along the way. If not, then I guess the $150+ on eBay option will remain.

• Like 7

I've been working with William of Mortoff Games for the past few months in making sure this is possible (plastic injected mold design and quotes, circuit design, assembly, testing on real hardware, etc. - the works) and could be a pathway to other things down the line should the interest actually be there.

The controller will be 100% identical to the originals with the exception of the Atari logo on them for obvious reasons. From a quality stand point, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two but am open to fielding concerns and quality questions so we make sure it gets pushed back and addressed. Tactile feedback was mentioned and I want to make sure it's going to have the same feel.

If the demand is actually there (I'm giving it until December 31st, that's almost a good 2-months) then we'll proceed with getting prototypes sent back to ensure the quality on the circuitry is as expected and update everyone accordingly along the way. If not, then I guess the $150+ on eBay option will remain.

Is there going to be a rapid fire option on this after market Pro Controller?

ANOTHER awesome new development for the Jag Clint. I will FULLY support this project, hell I might buy 4. If these bad boys become readily available like the new colored cart shells are perhaps some of the people hoarding their precious original pro controllers will ease up and drop their prices. It's good to see so many people going out of their way to keep this community and this console thriving.

Let's get on board folks and make this thing happen! Who knows after this maybe Clint or somebody else will start up an effort to get reproduction Jaguar CD units built! Or even reproduction core consoles!

• Like 1

Who knows after this maybe Clint or somebody else will start up an effort to get reproduction Jaguar CD units built! Or even reproduction core consoles!

That sounds very simple and certainly feasible to have new consoles built in extremely small quantities with NLA chips. Why didn't anyone think of this before? Can someone make Super A'Can repro consoles? All you need is, like, a console and some molds. Simple as that.

I'm in for a pair of these controllers.

That sounds very simple and certainly feasible to have new consoles built in extremely small quantities with NLA chips. Why didn't anyone think of this before? Can someone make Super A'Can repro consoles? All you need is, like, a console and some molds. Simple as that.

I'm in for a pair of these controllers.

Now you're thinking positive Madman! I detect no sarcasm whatsoever there! Maybe even have a color changing power led! My modded 7800 has one of those and that would just be sick, I'm sure you agree....

This is awesome! I'm interested.

I've just recently been looking into getting another Pro-Controller and gave up on the idea after seeing the insane prices on ebay and resellers.

The mentioned $150+ on ebay that was mentioned before is only if you're very lucky and from the US. You seem to rarely find new Pro-Controllers on ebay anyway and here in Germany for example, you can expect to pay 370-400 Euro for it. Which is just not worth it.

So new Pro-Controllers are really great news!

Personally I feel like the Pro-Controller is an improvement in every way over the original, at least I prefer it.

If you haven't tried it, it's not just for the few newer games that support it. Even after longer playtime the D-Pad doesn't hurt your fingers and the buttons feel more like on traditional controllers.

Edited by Starcat
  • Like 2

Is there going to be a rapid fire option on this after market Pro Controller?

There have been a few suggestions already about alternative options to the normal Pro Controller as it stands like USB to computer, DB9 pass through for mouse support and your rapid fire question. The original goal is to offer a ProController replacement that is identical to what Atari released since they're extremely limited in availability, nothing more and nothing less. There are people who can mod these for rapid fire or if they want to connect it to their computer, purchase a separate adapter.

While the suggestions are good and could actually increase sales by a few numbers, I seriously doubt we can make this the ultimate crowed pleaser for only $50-$60 for a very limited number of people. I think the idea is already pushing the envelope for what it is considering the low number of people willing to support new productions on this level.

• Like 6

I'm an artist whose work isn't understood in my time.

I know it is a thoughtcrime to consider such things, but what if you made a controller that was BETTER than the Jaguar Pro Controller? :-o

• Like 3

I still can't believe how much freaking hype the pro controller gets around here. It is not this giant leap in improvements I continually read about. Its become this legendary exotic magical wand of controllers that needs reproduced apparently. The rarity of the thing has grown this weird cult legend that is feeding itself by the price, as in it must be amazing because it's so expensive.

Personally, if any new controller doesn't have rapid fire or a joystick, its kind of pointless. The pro controller while comfortable was poorly implemented aside from a couple of games. I never found the extra buttons to be of much use. This is coming from one of the biggest Jag fans around.

That doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing if there are more around. The pro controller needs some improvements of its own however.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman
  • Like 1

When I had a Jaguar, the Pro controller was the only one I liked. The build quality is better (no squeaks) and the buttons travel better and are more responsive. It was worth every penny of the thirty bucks I paid for it. It's easily the best Jaguar controller, by far.

It is NOT worth the hundreds of dollars it is commanding on eBay, nor it is better than the commodity stuff you can buy from Buffalo or 8BitDo today.

A replica is totally the way to go, kudos for making one. I hope its availability brings the prices of the original back down to earth (or in the Alomogordo, New Mexico desert if you prefer) where they belong.

• Like 3

A replica is totally the way to go, kudos for making one. I hope its availability brings the prices of the original back down to earth (or in the Alomogordo, New Mexico desert if you prefer) where they belong.

Pro controller prices will still be crazy, collector's will still want originals. Just look at the collectortard's still paying 1K+ for Battlesphere Gold, when ebay has been filled with repros.

• Like 3

Pro controller prices will still be crazy, collector's will still want originals. Just look at the collectortard's still paying 1K+ for Battlesphere Gold, when ebay has been filled with repros.

I've seen time and again that counterfeit and 'reproduction' games (i.e. counterfeit) do not decrease the value of the original. Heck, even downloadable roms on stuff like Nintendo network, say Earthbound or Castlevania X and Demon's Crest didn't affect the cartridge prices. Call them collectards, I guess that includes me, but people still want and prefer authenticity and will pay for it.

• Like 2

Do wolf or doom use additional buttons for strafing? I think I recall the SNES version of wolfenstein might have strafed with the L and R buttons making it perhaps the only version of wolfenstein that allows for circle strafing

I think Skyhammer uses number buttons for strafing as well, which would be nice if they lined up with the pro controllers L and R

Do wolf or doom use additional buttons for strafing? I think I recall the SNES version of wolfenstein might have strafed with the L and R buttons making it perhaps the only version of wolfenstein that allows for circle strafing

I think Skyhammer uses number buttons for strafing as well, which would be nice if they lined up with the pro controllers L and R

Nope. You strafe using B + R/L on D.

In Doom #s are weapon select IIRC.

Being able to properly strafe with shoulder buttons vs number buttons is a nice add in AvP.

IIRC Primal Rage is better as well.

What other games really take advantage of the 6 buttons and shoulders? Worth noting before I drop the cash.

This is great to see.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/24855-list-of-pro-controller-games/

• Like 1