IGNORED

A marriage of two programs I'd really like to see in .BIN format...

Omega-TI

Video Chess for the TI is a nice program but typing in all those moves gets tedious. But along came Harry Wilhelm with his awesome "Beyond Video Chess" which makes moving easy with the joystick. It's the ONLY reason I still need and use a Widget... but i'd sure like to eliminate that.

I know people use Classic 99 to make .BINs of programs in memory, but I wonder if it's possible to emulate a widget in Classic 99 to combine both Video Chess & Beyond Video Chess, take the data in memory and make a .BIN of those two combined?

I'm sure with the new FinalGROM 99 or an UberGROM board, more people would be playing Video Chess if they could use a joystick and easily save their games.

• Like 2

Here you go!

In the folder is a BASIC program called BVC. Extract the program. Plug in the Video Chess cartridge. Push 1 for TI BASIC. Type OLD DSKn.BVC and then RUN. It will start up as usual.

I should add that BVC loads the program to low memory at >2000 to >3619 and you B @>26B8 to start it up. Maybe this information will help someone put it all into one cartridge.

BVC.zip

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 6

Freakin' awesome Harry!

I totally agree. I think more people will be trying video chess sooner than later. I do have one question though, if someone turns this into a cartridge... what are they going to make the start point? The main selection menu? The printer settings menu? The animated portion?

Until then, for any newbies wanting to play, << CLICK HERE >> for the keyboard strip. :)

I don't know how you would go about doing this, but here's what has to happen: With the Video Chess cartridge in the slot you need to do is copy the BVC code into >2000 to >3619. Then B @>26B8 and it will start up just like in the video. You could probably put the code in a GROM and just copy it over and then start it up.

(edit) You'd probably want to have a 3rd entry for Beyond Video Chess to load and start it up. Grom at >E000 is empty and the second bank of ROM is empty, so there are places to store the code.

Edited by senior_falcon

My idea would be to make a ROM loader cartridge for senior_falcon's program and then attach the Video Chess ROM as a second bank, but I'm not sure what the TI does if there are cartridge headers in both ROM and GROM? If the GROM wins then the GROM header would have to be wiped out. Is BVC availble as E/A#5? Would it be easy to add an instruction to switch to the second bank, e.g. SETO @>6002?

Yes, it is available as E/A 5 and DF80 as well.

Grom headers seem quite versatile. Alpiner has the header for "English" in the grom starting at >6000 and all the other language options in the grom starting at >C000 so that tells me that you should be able to put all the code for Beyond Video Chess plus the header into the unused GROM at >E000. Then 2 lines of GPL code will move the program to low memory and start it up. Unless someone beats me to it I may take a stab at this tonight.

• Like 1

Yes, it is available as E/A 5 and DF80 as well.

Grom headers seem quite versatile. Alpiner has the header for "English" in the grom starting at >6000 and all the other language options in the grom starting at >C000 so that tells me that you should be able to put all the code for Beyond Video Chess plus the header into the unused GROM at >E000. Then 2 lines of GPL code will move the program to low memory and start it up. Unless someone beats me to it I may take a stab at this tonight.

I won't do it if it involves GPL :).

Thanks for getting us this far along Senior_Falcon. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love a no-widget BVC!

Now we've got some really talented cartridge makers here, who've a;ready made TONS of the images here for the FlashROM & FinalGROM. We'll all get lucky if one of them takes this across the finish line for all of us.

• 1 year later...

gallery_34177_1071_18751.gif

Here you go. There is a loader called BVCGROM that runs from TI BASIC. It puts Beyond Video Chess into the unused grom at >E000.

Also, in GROM.TXT you can find the code that goes into the grom. I don't know how to make a cartridge, but you should be able to do it with this information.

I'm rather shocked this is still not a cartridge BIN selectable from the FG99 menu. Did it prove impossible, even for the Guru's?

It should be a straightforward add to the GRAM file for the cartridge, since it fills one of the unused GROM spaces. . .

It would be great if someone could do it. This way people with only FinalGROM's would be able to play Video Chess with a joystick and people with P-Boxes, TIPI's or Nano's could save games in progress to their disks or virtual disks.

Omega can you try these two variants out on your FinalGROM.

The first has the BVC grom attached and the second is a GROM modification that was in an issue of Micropendium (can't remember which one).

I'd love to do my part and try them out for you, but there were no files attached for me to test. :(

Hopefully they are "attached" now. Oops...

Sadly I was not able to get either to work. They show up in the FinalGROM selection screen, but once chosen all thet comes up is a blue screen, sometimes even a sound.

If you his REST at that point, 9 times out of 10 the only selection is TI BASIC, but now and then VIDEO CHESS shows, but if you press it, sometimes sound, once a messy garbled screen, but mostly nothing but blue. - Sorry. Maybe next attempt!