IGNORED

Do I need a special AC adapter for PCEngine in the US?

Since I managed to damage (*) my first white PC Engine, I've been idly looking for a spare. Right now it seems bidding is C-R-A-Z-Y even for the most common, dirty PC Engine consoles, at least those sold as tested working. I'll keep looking until one day I get a bargain like the first one I got.

(*) Possibly I killed it by inserting the A/V expansion connector upside down. It kind of displays an image, but rolling terrible sideways so it is not entirely DOA but well beyond my repair skills. (and that is with both composite and RF output)

• 3 months later...

I know this was last posted in September but it's something I'm poking away at trying to tick off by the end of the year. I've basically decided on a Core Grafx1/2 and also an Everdrive (for now as I know that $300USD converted priced Super CD 3 thing from terraonion does it all exists.)

The thread kind of seems to go back and forward on the powering up of this safely in the US region. I saw earlier today a CG up on ebay with both a US Genesis model1 adapter along with the original from Japan but didn't pull the trigger as I wasn't certain. I think it was here I saw a list like half a year ago which said model 2 among others and stuff like the Nintendo ones were toxic enough to instantly fry the thing. I've only got one shot, want to make it right.

JPN Core Grafx units work with a genesis, SMS, or Jaguar power adapter just fine. Ran my Core Grafx II unit at my last convention as part of a retro gaming tournament using a genesis model 1 power adapter and never a problem the entire time then nor now. The polarity and specs on those power adapters matches what is needed for the Core Grafx PC-engines.

Only the Duo models had to start switching things around.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

Just play it safe. Buy one with an official NEC adapter.

They mostly do unless you just buy the console alone. Japan runs off 100v and the US uses 120v, it can be if you're lucky a fire hazard.

-^Cro§Bow^- Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I saw one on ebay but the dude pulled it for some reason, US based too, and it had the Sega Model 1 with it. I wish he'd put it back up if it wasn't backdoor sold to save 10%. I had this dumb gift card going out of date so I had bought a $100 ebay gift card with it and by the time the idiots email delivered it from staples the listing was gone. Though I suspect the guy probably would have canceled it anyway if he was up to something.