IGNORED

Help please identifying 1200XL mods

vattari

I've recently tried for the first time my 1200XL which I had in storage for the past 18 months. I plugged it in and the composite video is so-so and the chroma appears to be missing.

I set out to do the ClearPic 2002 modification but it appears some work has been done (note the skewer pointing to the R63 position with a wire in place).

In locating the parts needing replacing, I'm unable to guage what work has been done previously.

Can anyone make it out? Thanks :)

8e6e8dbecef5043df5aa46d5beeb0358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t look like it at first blush but hard to see close details on my phone. That said, the ClearPic mod is excellent but one of Bryan’s UAV mod boards gives you the best Composite and s-Video you can get out of these machines. You’ll have to add Chroma to the unused pin on the DIN of course. None of the NTSC XL’s has it connected for some stupid reason.

• Like 1

If you do a video mod yourself, for the 1200XL only, I recommend the Supervideo 2.1 mod-1200XL version. The 1200XL is the only 8-bit to have a unique chroma-boost circuit. which, of course, was screwed up in the end by Atari. But the SV 2.1 mod is the only video mod that incorporates a fixed version of this special chroma circuit into it, and the result is the deepest, sharpest color on any Atari 8-bit, through S-video (chroma/luma). It approaches RGB color quality, very close. Of course I have no experience with the UAV device and how it handles color, maybe it makes it as good or better across all 8-bits, but for my 3 1200XL's, it's SV 2.1 1200XL version and nothing else.

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/Hardware%20Projects/Super%20Video%202.1XL/supervid5.html