IGNORED

Noticing a disturbing trend...

Rick Dangerous

I agree with you entirely, but #3 has problems. Sometimes they design the game to where you nearly have to buy the DLC to get through the game, or they make it a huge ass paywall within the game having to gin up cash over many hours of boring repetitive work basically dragging you to end your misery. The nastiest version of your WWE example I saw was the original Tiger Woods Golf online one with DLC, charged $60 for the game and another $200-300 for all the players and courses while having the game nag you on every other screen to buy the missing content or if you tapped something it would go 'buy now' and I think it was IGN got pissed over it and added up all the missing content compared to the year just before and got that total and roasted EA for it. Or you get that Capcom situation where with SF4 they left a lot of data on the disc and made you pay to get the extras they already finished locked on there which should have just been open in the first place. You paid to get a locked down game to pay again to get the stuff they locked.

You know it's funny about that 500GB on the PS4, it took me around 10 games to almost run out of space when I had games for it still. Yet you run a game on the Switch with 32GB of storage and I've had upwards of 8 on there at one point and it barely used up any of the room as most the games save/other data would eat up a couple 100MB at best or just 10MB+ or so on the small side. Either Nintendo is the king of compression or the PS4 was coded sloppy to sell larger systems and larger hard drives.

• Like 1

I''ve been a holdout on the digital trend as well. I'm sure my reasons are similar to some of yours:

1. I just like to be able to resell my games when finished playing them. Unlike my Atari games, I usually beat the game once and then I'm done. For example, I already invested 150 hours in FFXII and beat Yiazmat, so I see no reason to replay that game ever again, even that newer PS4 version. I can't resell a digital copy.

2. It seems digital games never drop in price for the most popular titles, whereas sooner or later, most new release physical games will eventually dip to a price I'm willing to pay. (There's only one system in which I'm willing to invest more than $30 a game, and that is Atari.)

3. DLC is a steaming pile of bovine excrement. It is just a way to squeeze us for more money. There's nothing worse than buying, say, WWE 15 only to discover half the bloody roster is DLC only. Also, where's the challenge in spending $7 for a super weapon to make the game easier? I'll either beat the game with what's available or I won't. I nver even use the download odes when I buy "Day One" editions.

4. There's only so much room on the available system storage. This is just as much an issue on the PS4 as it is on my Vita. Never get a Vita user started on Sony's exclusive memory cards (grumble). My roommate and I don't play the same types of games but I use his PS4 when he's at work, and 500gb is surprisingly not much room when many games need 30-50gb of space.

Those are my biggest complaints. I have recently ordered some Vita games from Limited games; for barely $5 or $10 more than a digital only, I'll have a physical cart I could resell when I finally get around to beating them. I may buy a digital-only game if it is cheap

1. This is a good point for those who do actually play games just the one time. Digital only effectively kills modern pre-owned game stores and relegates them to selling stupid accessories, figurines, and toys.

2. This is also true. I remember when Mad Max was $20 at GameStop but still $40 on PS4/X1 digitally! What a crock.

3. Also true and as was just mentioned above some games either bug you to death or force the player to buy them.

4. This is why I had to buy a 2TB hard drive for my XBOX One because 500GB is just not enough. I filled it up pretty quickly and the statement I keep getting from the digital crowd is "just delete the ones you don't play". Yea well F you, I'm not re-downloading a 30-50GB+ game again. I may have unlimited internet it ins't fast and I'd like to put the disc in and start up the game anytime I want without waiting. My PS4 Pro has 1TB of space but I'm sure that'll be gone pretty quick.

Good reasons you've got there. :)

• Like 1

A lot don't have unlimited internet, maybe with just 500GB or 1TB a month, sometimes less. Then as you said, garbage 20mbps or less or good say like 40+ and that time eats up a lot of waiting and not doing what you wanted at that time. I don't buy into and won't buy into the delete it until you want it unless we're talking small time little mobile games that rarely crack over the 1-2GB mark. It's not convenient and it's just controlling garbage that shouldn't be.

• Like 1

I don't mind "digital" games as long as backups can be made. And as long as they can be preserved and migrated through the ages, I'm a happy camper.

I've still got all my Duke 3D, Doom, and Quake levels and executables from the 1990's. Most of these 3rd party levels were downloaded as zip files from the then still popular BBS'es and migrated across many storage formats like Rigids, Zips, IEEE-1394, USB, CD-R/W, and probably others.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to such "anal-ity".

4. There's only so much room on the available system storage. This is just as much an issue on the PS4 as it is on my Vita. Never get a Vita user started on Sony's exclusive memory cards (grumble). My roommate and I don't play the same types of games but I use his PS4 when he's at work, and 500gb is surprisingly not much room when many games need 30-50gb of space.

Too late, you got me started! This here is the biggest reason the Vita didn't do nearly as well with me as it could have. Both between the memory cards being at times hard to find (Especially anything with more than 16gigs) but the cost per gigabyte was unforgivable. I managed to get a 16gig card - it was the only one available at the time and the 32+ versions were just too expensive, especially adding in tax.

I have no idea if the Vita lets you swap cards or not, but given how tiny and fragile those things are I wouldn't want to. So being stuck with 16gigs of space, Sony found out that it was extremely difficult to keep me buying vita (And psp) titles digitally once that space ran out. There's about 1gig left I think at this point. I'm keeping most of that free for save files and the like.

This is why I'm glad nintendo at least went with normal storage options. I got a 128gig microsd card cheaper than what I would have spent on a 32gig card for the vita back then. So at the very least Nintendo has a chance of selling me up to 120 odd gigs of digital content. (Although whether or not they do will depend on how many games they release that I'm both interested in and can get cheaply enough on their store.)

My PS4 is in a similar situation even with a 500gig drive. I'm already close to 400gigs full, thanks to game installations even from disc, etc. While I can hook up external drives to expand that, the odds of me doing so are low. So Sony can expect PS4 purchases to drop in the near future for digital content unless I find and decide to install a 2tb drive into it. (I put a 1tb drive into my main ps3 and at least for that generation of games I've still got plenty of space)

• Like 1

Thus far, Switch storage hasn't been much of an issue, because the games in the store are tiny, and there aren't that many of them. By the time there are, I would expect 2TB flash storage to be readily available and cheap, too. I remember when a 4GB USB stick seemed really capacious, and cost over $150. It wasn't that long ago.

I put a 2TB drive into my PS4 years ago, it's really easy. The Western Digital external drives you can get for ~$80 work just great. It doesn't have to be a super fast SSD or anything. The same thing would work fine as external storage, which is way simpler but wasn't an option when PS4 was new. 4TB drives are only a little more money so there's little excuse for running out of space nowadays.

https://www.jelly.deals/2017/08/14/best-external-hard-drive-for-ps4-2017-16/

I agree about the Vita. I paid through the nose to import a 64GB Vita card from Japan and put my also-overly-pricey-for-what-it-was 32GB card into my PSTV. That system would have done well to have used standard Micro SD cards, especially since Playstation Plus gave away so many great games to play on the Vita.

Best bang for your buck, especially if you like sports games: EA Access + XBone + an external hard drive for storage. Many, many games in the Vault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Access#Games_in_the_Vault_for_Xbox_One

I don't mind "digital" games as long as backups can be made. And as long as they can be preserved and migrated through the ages, I'm a happy camper.

I've still got all my Duke 3D, Doom, and Quake levels and executables from the 1990's. Most of these 3rd party levels were downloaded as zip files from the then still popular BBS'es and migrated across many storage formats like Rigids, Zips, IEEE-1394, USB, CD-R/W, and probably others.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to such "anal-ity".

You cannot just "back up" modern games and expect them to work on another system, PC or console. Maybe Steam but most of your downloads aren't even accessible without internet which defeats the purpose. And what if the server crashed? And ROM collecting is a legal gray area despite almost everybody does it. I collect ROMs for play on a multitude of flash carts. You collect ROMs for play on your PC rig. Perhaps we are not so different after all?

This is why I'm glad nintendo at least went with normal storage options. I got a 128gig microsd card cheaper than what I would have spent on a 32gig card for the vita back then. So at the very least Nintendo has a chance of selling me up to 120 odd gigs of digital content. (Although whether or not they do will depend on how many games they release that I'm both interested in and can get cheaply enough on their store.)

I bought a 200Gb Micro SD card for $70 on Amazon. Since I buy mostly physical games for my Switch, it will take a VERY long time to fill that up! :grin:

I think that's my biggest beef server access, not that I have to download something you can always back that up (least on pc) and reinstall it, but killing a game cause ea shut down their auth servers a month after you bought tiger woods for palm pilot for 20 bucks in 2003 still pisses me off to this day

played the GD thing all the way though once, swapped batteries and since the pilot didnt have nv ram had to reinstall to find out "EA, OH YEA F YOU" I honestly have never bought an EA game since ... I have plenty of them, but they were free though promotion or origin, but never bought another one in almost 15 years ...

Ubisoft did similar to me with operation flashpoint, I have not even downloaded free with purchase of a video card type games in 20 with those asshats

• 1 month later...

Ugh was hoping to dodge that bullet, but then again I wonder what Nintendo would have forced them into as bottom end limits for a production run. It should be interesting to see what they attempt to publish because if some of it ends up being just a localized release of a game in another region already in english (like I Am Setsuna was) then it'll just be mostly for collectors while people could still buy elsewhere for the same physical experience.

Edit: Saw this, don't think I believe them at all really.

Limited Run GamesVerified account @LimitedRunGames 2h2 hours ago

Vast majority of our releases have no resale value, we actively prevent automated purchasing, and less than 1% of any run ends up on eBay

Given what goes up on ebay I find it hard to believe under 1% gets scalped.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I'm curious which ones?

Let's see. How many games were released on past systems? Lego City, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Wii-U). The upcoming Skyrim (PS3/360). Ultra Street Fighter II (360). A bunch of eShop games getting reissued from past MS/Sony/Nintendo platforms. Shovel Knight. Upcoming Super Meat Boy. World of Goo by 2D Boy. I'm playing through World of Goo again after playing it ~10 years ago on Wii.

Then there's rehashes of Namco arcade games, Sonic, Bomberman, Tetris/Puyo, etc. Lots of other stuff I forgot to mention or slipped my mind. If it was fun the first time, it will be fun the second time. I'm happy to repurchase stuff or buy games for the first time that I did not experience on past MS/Sony consoles.

Lots of new games too. Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey for starters.

• Like 1

Well he had put it at 4 year old games, that's what I was wondering more. I know Lego City and Mario had a little age as does Skyrim. USF2 isn't that old nor is it a 360 game, not entirely at least. World of Goo is definitely quite old though.

Like you I don't care and see no reason to ding it or call it a negative over it because there's more new than old coming out for it that balances things out in general, and specifically if I never touched it before it's still new to me and that's what really matters anyway.

• Like 1

Well he had put it at 4 year old games, that's what I was wondering more. I know Lego City and Mario had a little age as does Skyrim. USF2 isn't that old nor is it a 360 game, not entirely at least. World of Goo is definitely quite old though.

Like you I don't care and see no reason to ding it or call it a negative over it because there's more new than old coming out for it that balances things out in general, and specifically if I never touched it before it's still new to me and that's what really matters anyway.

The USFII game is based around the 360 arcade remake that came out some 8 years ago I believe. I don't care either way, SFII is an awesome game, and still remains one of the best fighters to this day. No wonder they brought it back, LOL!

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_HD_Remix

Let's see. How many games were released on past systems? Lego City, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Wii-U). The upcoming Skyrim (PS3/360). Ultra Street Fighter II (360). A bunch of eShop games getting reissued from past MS/Sony/Nintendo platforms. Shovel Knight. Upcoming Super Meat Boy. World of Goo by 2D Boy. I'm playing through World of Goo again after playing it ~10 years ago on Wii.

Then there's rehashes of Namco arcade games, Sonic, Bomberman, Tetris/Puyo, etc. Lots of other stuff I forgot to mention or slipped my mind. If it was fun the first time, it will be fun the second time. I'm happy to repurchase stuff or buy games for the first time that I did not experience on past MS/Sony consoles.

Lots of new games too. Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey for starters.

It's still the first year so I'd expect ports etc to be hitting first - likely much easier and faster to push out. Plus given how negative the big publishers and media were on the idea of the Switch prior to it releasing with great success, it's obvious the big publishers are currently caught with their pants down and scrambling to find something to put on the Switch. With the way the Switch is selling it'll soon have the install base required to justify new games aimed for the Switch.

Plus Nintendo is getting all of their franchises out on the system so that should keep people occupied long enough for the 3rd parties to finish playing catchup. ;)

I wouldn't really hold Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as that big of a rehash though. For a lot of people it's brand new! (Then again so is everything else that might have originally been a Wii-U exclusive. ;))

• Like 2

True, considering the number of people who never got a Wii u (myself included) Wii u stuff would likely be looked at as new games. Wii just burned me out and as much as I love Nintendo, I saw Wii u as an extension of that and just kept to the 3ds last gen.

Wii-U has a fantastic library of games, if a bit small.

• Like 1

Mord speaks the obvious truth there. After the Wii branding in general and specifically that zombie turd the Wii U third parties were done with Nintendo as a console maker. They shifted gears, killed off their console R&D division merging it into the handheld, the one line they've not failed at and out pops the Switch with the help of Nvidia. Some shrugged and gave it minimal test support, others dared to blow it off with the WiiU being a fresh turd in their minds. Now with it tracking better sales than their previous efforts for generations, the good price point, the fact it's a handheld that docks giving it more cred as a Nintendo portable -- people are coming around. Bethesda came in early with Skyrim as a test but then jumped in hard being convinced with Doom and Wolfenstein2 next year. EA went from 1 to more than 1 game, same with 2K sports, and others. Those who snubbed are trying to rapid port stuff, in some cases partly being cut short on a more or two (like EA sports) and some are porting up stuff.

Some ports are long in the tooth like Rayman, but others being stuck on WiiU sold for crap due to the fail on the system. Stuff like that, your Mario Kart 8 and I guess to a point at launch Zelda BOTW too are getting a true sales life with a good system behind it that won't damn the game to obscurity outside of hardcore Nintendo fanboys who stuck it out. Personally I'd strongly encourage Nintendo take anything possible that was stuck on that turdbox and upscale/port it to the Switch. Starfox, Pikmin, the works -- give them a fair shot at life with a long system span of years to serve it well on something that didn't fail to sell. Most people will have not played it having never bought or dumped a WiiU so it will be a new game to most.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ALL games are digital, whether downloaded (what you really mean), on a disc, or on a cart.

Downloads versus physical media, ie an mp3 and vinyl record are both technically music, but the first sale doctrine exists for the vinyl, not for the mp3. Legally they are not the same. One is tangible and holds value; the other does not. Same applies to games.
  • Like 1