IGNORED

Atari 5200 CIB (?) Value? Photos Included

Mats90245

I have the opportunity to purchase this and was wondering what a boxed 5200 was worth.

Initially, someone had this listed for $25, but when I inquired about purchasing, said someone else has offered her $80.

Is this worth that much more than $80? Also, does it look complete? I've never had a fully functioning 5200 and am not sure if it's all there.

As always, any input would be greatly appreciated on the value of the items in the photos.

post-50497-0-76262900-1502844900.jpg

post-50497-0-93792100-1502844920.jpg

post-50497-0-94366900-1502844939.jpg

post-50497-0-19862100-1502844958.jpg

post-50497-0-51355100-1502844975.jpg

Based on the photo on the box, that should be a 2-port version. That means you can use a regular f-plug adapter to connect to your TV's RF. If it is the 4-port version, you would need a special switch box, which I don't see in the photo. Given that there is a standard switch box, it probably is the 2-port version.

Pink tape is a good sign.

Controllers probably don't work, but that's the case with most 5200 controllers found in the wild. It comes with one of the best games -- Robotron -- *and* the controller coupler (worth about $10 by itself). I've never seen those clown nose aftermarket knobs before, though.

Test it first. $80 is fair.

5200 buying guide linked in my sig below (a few years old, though).

I bought it and everything, including both controllers, worked perfectly. I was reading that some people think removing the pink cover is a good idea to avoid it oxidizing and sticking.

Any thoughts on that?

Personally, I want to keep the pink film in place and think it's pretty cool as-is, but I'm hoping to get some 2nd opinions.

I bought it and everything, including both controllers, worked perfectly. I was reading that some people think removing the pink cover is a good idea to avoid it oxidizing and sticking.

Any thoughts on that?

Personally, I want to keep the pink film in place and think it's pretty cool as-is, but I'm hoping to get some 2nd opinions.

Congrats on getting a very clean 5200! The pink protector will not cause any heat issue, though might leave a residue after decades of in place. Just a personal taste to keep it in place or not. Leaving it on increases the value, I would leave it from a "CIB" collector standpoint. That stated glad to read you have it hooked up and not a wall trophy.

The controllers have the "Robotron Knob" mod and the dual stick base indicates (in light the Williams Defender) the owner at one time had Robotron and possibly Space Dungeon. Definitely pick those two games up. With the knobs, an indication of possible internal fix of the buttons with a gold inlay upgrade? If not, not a problem, the twin stick mode does not use the buttons. Something to fix later on though. Nice that it came with Defender, the game renders very well on the 5200, the explosions! Keypad is the hyperspace.

Edited by CRTGAMER

About 2 years ago I picked up a complete in box 4 port unit with switchbox and power supply in their smaller individual boxes and all the inserts plus about a dozen boxed CIB games and not 1 but 2 complete in box trak-ball controllers. All of that set me back just over $100 as I recall and I thought it was a heck of a deal! So $80 I think is a very fair price for that.

Now..about the pink protection over the metal plate. Here is what will happen over time:

Eventually the pink plastic material will fuse to the metal strip and start to cause a darkening pattern that will look inconsistent. When that happens you will want to pull it off, but by then it is too late. Once that happens the pink protector will not just peel off anymore and it will become stuck to the metal strip. You can use mild solvents to get it off of there, but if any seeps under the metal strip, then it will also start to eat away the glue that holds that on. I personally remove the pink protective plastic so it doesn't begin to look like crap a few years later down the line. The 4-port 5200 I picked up in the box that I mentioned above? I removed the pink plastic over the metal strip to prevent it from being a problem later.