IGNORED

What would it take to connect a SAMS card without the PEB?

Tornadoboy

I'm building a franken-TI in a reused case from a internet firewall and I'm trying to incorporate everything I need inside it, it's going to have the Finalgrom, F18, 32k, USB keyboard adapter (if I can get the PCB), speech synth and hopefully a Raspberry Pi once the adapter is released. It seems to me there was a way to do this with the disk controller so can someone point me in the right direction? It would also be handy too to know how to make it pass-through so other devices could be put after it.

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 2

I'm building a franken-TI in a reused case from a internet firewall and I'm trying to incorporate everything I need inside it, it's going to have the Finalgrom, F18, 32k, USB keyboard adapter (if I can get the PCB), speech synth and hopefully a Raspberry Pi once the adapter is released. It seems to me there was a way to do this with the disk controller so can someone point me in the right direction? It would also be handy too to know how to make it pass-through so other devices could be put after it.

I don't know much of anything about how the PEB works itself. I imagine you'd need some butchered backplane or need to make one single slot. With a side expansion port extension cable you could probably for it inside the unit you are making and also utilize a side port splitter for the passthrough.

That's assuming that a plain old adaptor from the side port expansion to the sams card edge connector is all that is needed (the butchered backplane or custom board mentioned earlier).

Although I think the flex cable card is needed also (preSAMS connection). So maybe a 2 slot custom or butchered backplane. I think Fabrice designed a new TI with all things internal, he maybe able to answer this definitively.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266585-tiny-994a-computer/

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Found this about how to connect a disk controller without the PEB, it's under "resurrecting the TI disk system"

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm

I wonder if I can use that setup for the SAMS?

I don't see a reason why you couldn't. All you would need is a ribbon cable and appropriate connectors on both ends per Stuart's description along with a few pull-up resistors.

I would be very interested in hearing about your results if you do decide to give it a shot.