IGNORED

Anyone else specialize in Atari cabinets?

racerx

I collect xy mainly, so I have all the ataris(10) and many of the cinematronics/vectorbeam(6). I also have dig dug, liberator, missile command, night driver, gran track 10, centipede, race drivin, hard drivin airborne(proto), atari system 1(all 5), atari system 2(CS and paperboy), 720, assault, I robot, relief pitcher(proto), road riot (proto), cyberball(proto), tournament cyberball, rampart, space lords, area maximum force, vapor trx, rush 2049, and freeze(proto). So about 48. I am into pins, but none of the ataris. I passed the few I found/forced to buy off on another collector (3 hercules and a superman).

Edited by mr.bill
  • Like 1

I prefer Atari & my entire collection is Atari...Xevious, & a Kangaroo cabinet.

& it's good to see someone ELSE playing Xevious.

I really hate xevious.. I just fixed my buddies and could barely get past the 1st mothership. I got it for him about 25 years ago. He is one of those guys who can play it it forever. Kangaroo and Arabian are two more I can't stand.

I forgot food fight and cloak and dagger out of my list. So that's about 50 atari cabinets which is about half of my games but about 70% of my videos.

Edited by mr.bill

Check the DIP switches next time; you may have been playing a more difficult version.

Also, Xevious taylors its difficulty to that of the player's skill. If you're playing well, the game's AI counteracts by throwing more tougher enemies at you. Though from what you said above, this doesnt seem to be the problem...

Check the DIP switches next time; you may have been playing a more difficult version.

Also, Xevious taylors its difficulty to that of the player's skill. If you're playing well, the game's AI counteracts by throwing more tougher enemies at you. Though from what you said above, this doesnt seem to be the problem...

its a me problem. I am not that good at most games. I consider it a blessing as I have fun and die after 10 min. I cant imagine being one of those guys who play joust for 40+ hours for a world record.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I doff my hat to you, RacerX. You have close to my dream arcade right there.

I love Atari cabs more than other companies' (with only a few exceptions) even more for the cabinet art than some of the games themselves. Atari consistently focused on art, whether on their cabinets or in their promotional materials.

Damn--your three pinball machines: those are works of Art with a capital A.

• Like 1

its a me problem. I am not that good at most games. I consider it a blessing as I have fun and die after 10 min. I cant imagine being one of those guys who play joust for 40+ hours for a world record.

I used to be one of those. So much that I actually (foolishly) believed arcade skills would be worth something. Still to this day I can play Missile Command for hours (days??) on end. And nobody gives a rat's ass. Well fuk-em-all!

Once you walk away from the arcade machine and the crowd disperses, you're a nobody again. Nothing to take home except the experience of hours of grinding. Empty.

Every activity needs an icon, a statue, someone at the top for the common man to look up to.

"Professional gamers" don't count here, because, most all of them are point men and figureheads for marketing departments. Marketing departments for energy drinks, PC hardware, swag & gear, and of course the game companies themselves. Branding and logo and idolized "heros", too, are part of the pro-gamer's dossier.

I'm willing to bet their "uhh-leet skillz" are no better than mine. Just flying off the wall bashing and blowing up everything in sight. Anyone can do that.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I love Atari cabs more than other companies' (with only a few exceptions) even more for the cabinet art than some of the games themselves. Atari consistently focused on art, whether on their cabinets or in their promotional materials.

While the artwork has nothing to do with how the game actually plays, most of it sets the atmosphere and aura surrounding a machine. It's nice that most of it is done in a stencil/outline style with minimal colors and detail - so that you may use your imagination to fill in the blanks as you play the game.

It's one reason why I dislike most modern arcades. They cram the games in so close together you can't see this fabulous art.

• Like 1

While the artwork has nothing to do with how the game actually plays, most of it sets the atmosphere and aura surrounding a machine. It's nice that most of it is done in a stencil/outline style with minimal colors and detail - so that you may use your imagination to fill in the blanks as you play the game.

It's one reason why I dislike most modern arcades. They cram the games in so close together you can't see this fabulous art.

Early games had unique cabs with custom controls that added to the experience. Battle zone has a periscope and tank controls, Star Wars has the flight controller, centipede has a trackball, front line, Ikari warriors, tempest, ect all had custom controls. but games lost that with Jamma. Very few modern games do that. Decicated Irritating maze comes to mind. Some of the modern games do things like adding lighting effects.

As for art, atari did hit it out of the park. Just about every game they did has great art on it. I agree it's sad that you can't see it normally, but it's nice to know it's there.