IGNORED

Tempest 4000

Gregory DG

I'm not convinced based on the gameplay video you posted. Show me how well this rotary works in the hands of someone that actually knows how to play the game, and I'll rethink my stance on it.

I've been playing for a whole week now but I'm learning, I still believe a rotary controller makes the game easier to play and for someone that already knows the game inside and out I believe that after a small learning curve the precision of a rotary controller could take their game to a whole new level...

Edited by Tempest Nut

I've been playing for a whole week now but I'm learning, I still believe a rotary controller makes the game easier to play and for someone that already knows the game inside and out I believe that after a small learning curve the precision of a rotary controller could take their game to a whole new level...

I see little added precision by your method.

As an example, see this video I recorded when the game came out. Note how on this web (multiple times) I stand in place and reach an arm out to one side to take out enemies next to me at the top. This is an extremely important technique, especially later into the game when it's easy to become overwhelmed before receiving the jump power-up. Is it possible to do this with your setup without sacrificing normal movement speed control?

https://youtu.be/8tgEzUUOA8U?t=1238

Something else to keep in mind, Tempest 2000 and on are *not* to be played like the original Tempest (which I see you doing), at least not if you want to get anywhere in the game consistently. They might look like Tempest, but the finer details that make them tick are vastly different. No alternate control method is going to help you very much if you don't have a better understanding of how the games really work.

• Like 2

I see little added precision by your method.

As an example, see this video I recorded when the game came out. Note how on this web (multiple times) I stand in place and reach an arm out to one side to take out enemies next to me at the top. This is an extremely important technique, especially later into the game when it's easy to become overwhelmed before receiving the jump power-up. Is it possible to do this with your setup without sacrificing normal movement speed control?

https://youtu.be/8tgEzUUOA8U?t=1238

Something else to keep in mind, Tempest 2000 and on are *not* to be played like the original Tempest (which I see you doing), at least not if you want to get anywhere in the game consistently. They might look like Tempest, but the finer details that make them tick are vastly different. No alternate control method is going to help you very much if you don't have a better understanding of how the games really work.

Ya, I'm having an issue with my left trigger not working correctly with the modded mouse driver I need for my rotary controller to work as fast as I like it to, I have an idea on how to solve this but I haven't had time to try it yet so the only reaching I can do comes with risk because I can't make it stand still so I have to be careful reaching which is hard to do when things really pick up...

And it seems like reaching works better in one direction vs the other like at the bottom of a round web I can reach out to the right much more easily without getting grabbed than the left, That is without the left trigger (brake)...

I've been working on reaching without the LT a lot which doesn't show in that video because it's before I really started working on just that and It's not needed as much in those levels, But it would still come in very handy at times even in the easier levels, I've got to fix that dang LT issue though...

Edited by Tempest Nut

For anyone that was wondering here are all of the achievements you can get for Tempest 4000 on Steam...

Completed Path Bonus
Finish one Path Bonus round
A good start
Get to level 16
Halfway there
Reach level 51
Completed
Finish all game levels
Max lives
Max out lives counter
Risky rescue
Get rescued by AI droid at distance
Completed Rings Bonus
Finish one Rings Bonus round
Divinity
Get the ANGEL bonus powerup
CapaBULL
Survive to level 9 in Pure Mode without loss of life
DouBULL TrouBULL
You and the AI Droid both get 25 or more kills on a level
LoveaBULL
Get 5 or more hearts during warpout.
Where's me jumper
Get to level 9 in Pure Mode without jumping
Both Worlds
Enter both Bonus Round types in one game.
Long march
Reach level 51 in Pure mode
Ultra Survival
Reach level 51 in Survival mode
Pure skill
Complete level 1-33 without dying
RespectaBULL
Survive to level 17 in Pure Mode without loss of life
UnstoppaBULL
Survive to level 25 in Pure Mode with no loss of life
IndomitaBULL
Get to level 17 in Pure Mode without jumping
UnBULLievaBULL
Get to level 25 in Pure Mode without jumping
And the last one that's hidden is
Ultra Atarian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Show me how well this rotary works in the hands of someone that actually knows how to play the game

Can it be said that I actually know how to play the game now in your eyes? And if not then the only other thing it could be is the rotary controller?

7797793 Points Level 95, It's not the all-time highest score but I think it's pretty good for someone that's been playing for a month?

2.jpg

Edited by Tempest Nut

Untitled.jpg

One more level to go and 8th in the world, Am I a "top tier" or an "elite" player yet Nuclear Pacman? Just a reminder, I've been playing on and off for a little over a month...

Classic.jpg

Oh, and I have all but 4 of the achievements...

Haha, it is amusing that you have been so motivated to prove something. Do you really need my approval? I'm not the best and don't proclaim to be. I thought this was ultimately about if the rotary was superior to an analog stick? You would have to give an honest go of it with both on equal terms to truly know for yourself. If you want a serious answer here, I would say that I don't play 'Classic Mode', because that's the one that lets you continue. I'm more of a 1CC kind of guy (I rarely achieve 1CC's admittedly), so a true test of skill would be Survival Mode, or even Pure Mode. Classic Mode is the equivalent of credit feeding a shmup. I always play from the beginning and never continue.

• Like 1

Haha, it is amusing that you have been so motivated to prove something. Do you really need my approval? I'm not the best and don't proclaim to be. I thought this was ultimately about if the rotary was superior to an analog stick? You would have to give an honest go of it with both on equal terms to truly know for yourself. If you want a serious answer here, I would say that I don't play 'Classic Mode', because that's the one that lets you continue. I'm more of a 1CC kind of guy (I rarely achieve 1CC's admittedly), so a true test of skill would be Survival Mode, or even Pure Mode. Classic Mode is the equivalent of credit feeding a shmup. I always play from the beginning and never continue.

I'm 10th in Pure Mode without really trying, And you?

Edited by Tempest Nut

You won't see my high scores on the leader board anymore because my bank account got hacked and all the money was transferred out and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with steam somehow!

My banks' fraud department is on it and I'll get the money back but I've wiped Steam from my computer and I won't ever be reinstalling it!

I've never had anything like this happen so it's suspicious that a little over a week after I installed steam so my Tempest 4000 scores would show up on the leader boards and days after I bought a pinball game using Steam my bank account gets 3 transfers of money out one right after another draining my account, It could just be a coincidence???