IGNORED

Tempest 4000

Gregory DG

• 4 weeks later...

Well some good news, as of now Amazon is still sitting on their July 17th release date. Another bit of good news, I got a notification from Amazon that I'll get release day delivery of this game. The fact that I got that notification from Amazon this time tells me that the July 17th date is pretty solid. I didn't get any notice when the release date was set for mid-June.

• Like 2

Well some good news, as of now Amazon is still sitting on their July 17th release date. Another bit of good news, I got a notification from Amazon that I'll get release day delivery of this game. The fact that I got that notification from Amazon this time tells me that the July 17th date is pretty solid. I didn't get any notice when the release date was set for mid-June.

Same here, I got the notification as well. Looking forward to trying it!

Dang. Should have started reading some of the early reviews and comments for the PC version first. Apparently issues with refresh rate lock and no options to customize controls.

Eh, I would have bought it anyway though.

I can't find my GMG password and was waffling on which platform to get anyway. I would think PS4 would be the reference ... might have to get it there.

Just picked up this game on Steam. I never got to play TxK, so I can't compare it to that, but, I gotta say...this game rocks. Definitely a sweet update on the same TX000 formula, with refined gameplay and a ton of music included. A bit miffed about the threadbare UI, hopefully that will get updated in a patch at some point.

• Like 1

Got it!

-Played a game of each mode, Pure, Survival, and Classic. I have no idea what differentiates the modes other than how many lives you start with.

-Yeah, it has the original music, but so much more, and the originals are reworked/modernized a bit.

-You can access the jukebox by entering into the CREDITS menu.

-The controls. Eh, I kind of miss the precision of Tempest 2000 here. This game incorporates momentum into the controls, so I find myself kind of doing this swinging around motion. Kind of gliding and never actually stopping, so you swing back and forth to grab the powerups. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but prefer the classic controls for now.

-The overall experience of playing this game is amazing though. I pumped up the music and sfx to %200 and rocked out. The trance effects of the graphics seem cranked up big time over the old game ( I haven't played anything between T2K and this).

I am going to wig out on this game hopefully this weekend if I have some time. I have no delusions of taking any high scores on the leaderboard, I never even mastered T2K yet, even after 25 years of regular play. I'm not the greatest Tempest player but it's never frustrating, always fun, so I keep playing.

Anybody got a rundown on the different Modes, that would be helpful.

I like it so far, but I don't like having to use the thumbstick, D-pad doesn't work. This is with a 360 controller on Steam. It's too sloppy for me.

D-pad works on the Xbone version, it's more precise than the floppy analog. Surely they'll fix this in the Steam version?

-Played a game of each mode, Pure, Survival, and Classic. I have no idea what differentiates the modes other than how many lives you start with.

... Anybody got a rundown on the different Modes, that would be helpful.

I'm done with games for tonight, but in other Llamasoft games, it's different leaderboards and starting bonuses. In PURE mode, you earn everything, and if you want to start at a more advanced level, you only get the number of lives you had last time you played, so you can't cheese your way through the levels. SURVIVAL is probably how far you can go without continues, and CLASSIC should be like Tempest 2000, where you can continue where you were with full lives.

We'll probably see some Jeff Minter writing about it before long in one of these places:

the yakyak forum

Minter's twitter

Llamasoft blog

• Like 1

-The controls. Eh, I kind of miss the precision of Tempest 2000 here. This game incorporates momentum into the controls, so I find myself kind of doing this swinging around motion. Kind of gliding and never actually stopping, so you swing back and forth to grab the powerups. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but prefer the classic controls for now.

Maybe Nuclear Pacman discovered why I don't like the thumbstick if this also applies to the D-Pad. You have to apply opposite motion to stop, it is definitely less precise.

I really like the game! But dang, Minter has gone trippier than ever before... One thing I DON'T like is the motion control requirement to get the "in-between" web bonus points. It was tricky enough with TxK...

The music is a mismash between the original Tempest 2000 mod files, the Tempest 2000 CD, and TxK. They did rework at least one of the TxK songs trimming out the last 1/3 of the "Space Is Everything" song. :-(

Overall, definitely worth a purchase!

• Like 1

I really like the game! But dang, Minter has gone trippier than ever before... One thing I DON'T like is the motion control requirement to get the "in-between" web bonus points. It was tricky enough with TxK...

Does it want you to tilt the controller like in TxK on Vita? That must be special to the PS4 version. Xbone makes you use the left stick.

Feels like you control the tunnel, not your "claw," so I always muff up the controls at first until I adjust.

What's the best way to dispatch enemies on the rim if you can't jump? Sneak up on them gently and shoot em before they can grab you?

After a couple of hours of playing, I've got a few gripes about the PC version:

- Pretty much no options for configuring your controls. Would be nice to configure the D-Pad instead of the left thumb stick.

- Camera seems pretty sub-optimal on some of the levels, with at least one that I've encountered not fitting entirely on the screen.

- No video settings. Can't change resolution. Apparently the game runs twice as fast on 144hz monitors.

- Enemies staying at the top of the web when you die is annoying, especially if you hadn't earned jump yet.

- UI overall is pretty threadbare. Would be nice to have a listing of the music in it's own menu with a different control scheme to switch between songs. Also no way to customize the playlist, from what I can see.

Hopefully a patch for these issues will be on its way in the near future.