IGNORED

Tempest 4000

Gregory DG

Many people have beaten the game with the Xbox One controller. That's great if you like the spinner, but it's not really a necessity.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is it's not about what works, or if it's fine, or what is necessity BUT what is the most fun to play!

Isn't that why you play video games in the first place because they are fun? I've never cared about how high my score is or how many times I've finished a game or how fast I finished a game, For me it's all about how fun is the game, Heck I don't even care if the game keeps a score of any kind if it's just dammed fun to play !!!

If you've ever beaten a game and for the most part stopped playing it let me tell you, in reality, you didn't really didn't have fun playing that game, If it truly is a fun game for you, You would still be playing it even after you have beaten it or got the highest score...

Tempest 2000, and now Typhoon 2001 and Tempest 4000 are those games I have and will be playing for years BUT that wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for the rotary controller, Playing any Tempest game without one really isn't that fun and the game would best be described as "fine" to play but not a "necessary" game to play, For me a rotary controller makes all the difference between a fine game and a GREAT GAME that I can't stop playing !!!

But that's just me...

Edited by Tempest Nut

I guess the point I'm trying to make is it's not about what works, or if it's fine, or what is necessity BUT what is the most fun to play!

Isn't that why you play video games in the first place because they are fun? I've never cared about how high my score is or how many times I've finished a game or how fast I finished a game, For me it's all about how fun is the game, Heck I don't even care if the game keeps a score of any kind if it's just dammed fun to play !!!

If you've ever beaten a game and for the most part stopped playing it let me tell you, in reality, you didn't really didn't have fun playing that game, If it truly is a fun game for you, You would still be playing it even after you have beaten it or got the highest score...

Tempest 2000, and now Typhoon 2001 and Tempest 4000 are those games I have and will be playing for years BUT that wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for the rotary controller, Playing any Tempest game without one really isn't that fun and the game would best be described as "fine" to play but not a "necessary" game to play, For me a rotary controller makes all the difference between a fine game and a GREAT GAME that I can't stop playing !!!

But that's just me...

Yes, believe it or not, people can have fun without a rotary.

To an extent, yes. For some of us the game becomes more fun as we actually learn the game, make an attempt to see farther into it, play more efficiently and progress as players. The more control we have over the game, the more fun it becomes. Anyone can have dumb fun, and that's fine, but don't say we aren't "doing it right".

True story.

• Like 1

To an extent, yes. For some of us the game becomes more fun as we actually learn the game, make an attempt to see farther into it, play more efficiently and progress as players. The more control we have over the game, the more fun it becomes. Anyone can have dumb fun, and that's fine, but don't say we aren't "doing it right".

True story.

Didn't say anything of the sort? If sure you're doing it just fine...

Never said you couldn't? BUT you didn't have much of a choice without installing two emulator programs and a virtual device driver and then setting all that up and then somewhat getting a rotary controller experience BUT not like native support give you, But who knows some might like it better the virtual way ???

I'm a firm supporter of custom controls. In the case of T4000, I'm not convinced it would improve my game.

Well, you've never played it with one so there is no way for you to know?

And there really isn't any way for me to communicate what it's really like BUT the game is totally designed around a rotary control so that should say something?

It's one of those "you have to try it for yourself" type deals...

BUT I will say this if you learned it using a totally different type of controller AND got really good at it that way I doubt you'd like to change? I'm sure someone could be awesome playing the game with their feet if that was all there was AND they could have a ball playing it that way BUT starting from scratch learning the game I really believe that most if not all people would have more fun to play the game the way it was designed?

I made it a point not to even play the game unless I could use a rotary controller with it BUT for someone like me that for the most part only knows the game through a rotary controller, it was worth the wait...

I did try it for a minute one time with a dpad and I was like "Hell No! This is going to kill my thumb!" lol

BUT I will tell you this, I sure wouldn't want to try to learn how to drive a car in the real world with a dpad! AND even if I did learn it that way I have no doubt I'd get much better at it using a wheel...

Edited by Tempest Nut

I am currently waiting on this lower priced replacement spinner:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281065-diy-usb-rotary-control-watari-style-knob/

which should do quite well.

later

I must admit that spinner costs much less than what I shelled out for the SpinTrak setup which in the end cost me...

SpinTrak Rotary Control $69
Knob for SpinTrak $12
Heavy Flyweight for SpinTrak $10
For a total of $130
Making those spinners a whopping $80 cheaper!
Edited by Tempest Nut

Well, you've never played it with one so there is no way for you to know?

And there really isn't any way for me to communicate what it's really like BUT the game is totally designed around a rotary control so that should say something?

It's one of those "you have to try it for yourself" type deals...

BUT I will say this if you learned it using a totally different type of controller AND got really good at it that way I doubt you'd like to change? I'm sure someone could be awesome playing the game with their feet if that was all there was AND they could have a ball playing it that way BUT starting from scratch learning the game I really believe that most if not all people would have more fun to play the game the way it was designed?

I made it a point not to even play the game unless I could use a rotary controller with it BUT for someone like me that for the most part only knows the game through a rotary controller, it was worth the wait...

I did try it for a minute one time with a dpad and I was like "Hell No! This is going to kill my thumb!" lol

BUT I will tell you this, I sure wouldn't want to try to learn how to drive a car in the real world with a dpad! AND even if I did learn it that way I have no doubt I'd get much better at it using a wheel...

I'm not convinced based on the gameplay video you posted. Show me how well this rotary works in the hands of someone that actually knows how to play the game, and I'll rethink my stance on it.

I'm not convinced based on the gameplay video you posted. Show me how well this rotary works in the hands of someone that actually knows how to play the game, and I'll rethink my stance on it.

Oh my, Nice dig...

There is no one else that can play Tempest 4000 with a rotary controller natively...

And is 888,450 in pure after just a few days of playing really that bad ? And besides, I wasn't claiming that a rotary controller would make you the best player ever overnight, I was suggesting that the game would be more fun to play with one...

You know there seems to be someone like you in every forum, You know the guy that throws passive-aggressive insults at the guy that's not in the forums click...

You know there seems to be someone like you in every forum, You know the guy that throws passive-aggressive insults at the guy that's not in the forums click...

I assume you meant "clique." We don't put up with cliques around here.

Now, let's try to keep the conversation civil.

Oh my, Nice dig...

There is no one else that can play Tempest 4000 with a rotary controller natively...

And is 888,450 in pure after just a few days of playing really that bad ? And besides, I wasn't claiming that a rotary controller would make you the best player ever overnight, I was suggesting that the game would be more fun to play with one...

With a game like Tempest, I want the highest score. Dude, Austin is a top tier player (maybe the best?) on Xbox One T4000, and I was in the top 10 before I stopped playing. If I thought a rotary would improve my score I would consider it, but you're trying to lecture elite players. Do you think we don't know what we are doing or something?

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

Wow, "trying to lecture elite players" ??? Not even close ! I was talking about having FUN !

I'm sorry but all anyone wants to talk about here is the best score or the best player and I was looking to talk about games and ways to make them more fun to play ?

I must be at the wrong place for that so I should prob just go.

Bye...

Yes, but only for certain games.

Games, that don't support it, need an adapter like the Cronus Max plus (which i have), or XIM

to use them. They also support spinners, trackballs, etc. I think i mentioned it earlier.

later

"Cronus Max plus" Wow I had no idea those existed! I thought you were talking about something else, My apologies...

Are all modern console games systems controllers USB connector based?

Edited by Tempest Nut

"Cronus Max plus" Wow I had no idea those existed! I thought you were talking about something else, My apologies...

Are all modern console games systems controllers USB connector based?

Xbox 360/xbox one/PS3/PS4 all have wireless controllers, but can have wired USB controllers.

They all have encryption, so you can't use off the shelf controllers.

There are drivers that make that work on windows for the xbox ones, don't know about sony's though.

Just one more question, Have any of you guys played the original Tempest arcade game back when?

I played tempest a few times in the arcade originally. It was too hard, so i gave up.

30+ years later, played tempest 2000 on jaguar briefly.

about 9 years ago, played the revised and original version on the xbox 360, got to 300k,

then played the microsoft gameroom version of the original and got to 450k, and the light blue levels:

lots of details here: http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,3001.0.html

Played with savestates all the way through the invisible, and light green levels up to 1 million, and past stage 99.

Still playing tempest arcade in, atari vault on the xbox one, in fact, i just broke 285k for the top score:

of course, the recent mini 3/4 scale arcade 1UP home cabinet for Asteroids, and the deluxe 12-1, both have

tempest on it, with a terrible plastic dial on it, however the game is playable. i've played it and broke

200k, and gotten to the yellow levels.

tempest arcade is still kicking, there's a ton of people discovering it now, and how hard it is becasue

of Arcade 1up, lots of videos all over youtube.

later

Edited by negative1

There are drivers that make that work on windows for the xbox ones, don't know about sony's though.

later

Yes there are drivers for Sony controllers that let you use and charge them using a usb cable AND you can unplug them and they will connect to the PC through Bluetooth if you have a PC Bluetooth dongle BUT you won't be able to use the Bluetooth dongle for anything else because the sony driver install reserves it for Sony controller use only...

I have A PlayStation Move Navigation Controller I use with my PC and it works great!

I played tempest a few times in the arcade originally. It was too hard, so i gave up.

You thought it was too hard? How old were you then?

Did you ever play Robotron back then? My buddies and I would play that game until we got Robotron elbow which is just like tennis elbow only much worse! lol

Edited by Tempest Nut

about 9 years ago, played the revised and original version on the xbox 360, got to 300k,
then played the microsoft gameroom version of the original and got to 450k, and the light blue levels:

lots of details here: http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,3001.0.html

Played with savestates all the way through the invisible, and light green levels up to 1 million, and past stage 99.

Still playing tempest arcade in, atari vault on the xbox one, in fact, i just broke 285k for the top score:

of course, the recent mini 3/4 scale arcade 1UP home cabinet for Asteroids, and the deluxe 12-1, both have
tempest on it, with a terrible plastic dial on it, however the game is playable. i've played it and broke
200k, and gotten to the yellow levels.

tempest arcade is still kicking, there's a ton of people discovering it now, and how hard it is becasue
of Arcade 1up, lots of videos all over youtube.

later

OMG, you've played so much tempest without a rotary controller that I doubt one would ever feel right to you!

Now I understand your hesitance towards using one, I played a lot of Tempest 2000 on the jag using their dpad controller and beat the game a few times starting and level one and no restarts but that was quite a while ago, I had my jag hooked up to a 35 inch arcade grade Wells Gardner RGB monitor that I bought just for the jag, It's the same monitor that first showed up in the Sega Daytona Arcade games that had the oversized RGB monitors and cost something like $2 for one play! I still have that huge thing, In fact, it's sitting right next to me as I'm typing this so if you know anyone that needs one for an arcade restoration project I'm your guy lol...

Edited by Tempest Nut

You thought it was too hard? How old were you then?

Did you ever play Robotron back then? My buddies and I would play that game until we got Robotron elbow which is just like tennis elbow only much worse! lol

I was 14, and I recorded my high scores in a 'how to win at videogames' book:

tempest         114 725            10 min           level 13
robotron 2084  4 332 125           3-4 hours       wave 142
The robotron 2084 score was done on easy settings, like extras every 20k instead of 25k.

Nowadays i can barely hit 1 million, but that's because all the emulated xbox versions are super fast

compared to the slower arcade version.

OMG, you've played so much tempest without a rotary controller that I doubt one would ever feel right to you!

Now I understand your hesitance towards using one, I played a lot of Tempest 2000 on the jag using their dpad controller and beat the game a few times starting and level one and no restarts but that was quite a while ago, I had my jag hooked up to a 35 inch arcade grade Wells Gardner RGB monitor that I bought just for the jag, It's the same monitor that first showed up in the Sega Daytona Arcade games that had the oversized RGB monitors and cost something like $2 for one play! I still have that huge thing, In fact, it's sitting right next to me as I'm typing this so if you know anyone that needs one for an arcade restoration project I'm your guy lol...

arcade version - spinner

jaguar tempest - jaguar controller

[might have played various versions of tempest x on playstation - analog stick]

MAME pc version - USB spinner

xbox 360 standalone version- bought a madcatz joystick with spinner, that didn't work - no sensitivity settings, so used analog joystick

xbox 360 microsoft gameroom - analog stick

PC version Microsoft gameroom - USB spinner

xbox one atari vault - using analog joystick and USB spinner through adapter

PC version Atari Vault - USB spinner

xbox one tempest 4000 - USB spinner through adapter

PC version tempest 4000 - analog stick

Arcade 1UP tempest - 'dial' if you want to call it that

there is a replacement spinner for Arcade 1UP:

i would say the vast majority of my game playing for tempest was done with some kind of spinner,

with only some use of the analog stick lately.

later

i would estimate almo

Edited by negative1

arcade version - spinner

jaguar tempest - jaguar controller

[might have played various versions of tempest x on playstation - analog stick]

MAME pc version - USB spinner

xbox 360 standalone version- bought a madcatz joystick with spinner, that didn't work - no sensitivity settings, so used analog joystick

xbox 360 microsoft gameroom - analog stick

PC version Microsoft gameroom - USB spinner

xbox one atari vault - using analog joystick and USB spinner through adapter

PC version Atari Vault - USB spinner

xbox one tempest 4000 - USB spinner through adapter

PC version tempest 4000 - analog stick

Arcade 1UP tempest - 'dial' if you want to call it that

there is a replacement spinner for Arcade 1UP:

i would say the vast majority of my game playing for tempest was done with some kind of spinner,

with only some use of the analog stick lately.

later

i would estimate almo

There is one thing a friend brought to my attention that I forgot to talk about with my method of using a spinner with Tempest 4000, No other method of using a spinner with Tempest 4000 can disable the built-in fake inertia which includes using a Cronus Max plus (which you have), or the XIM, And there is no other way on the PC as well because it's coded right into the game! My exe disables that. That one thing is huge!

And there is one other thing no console can do which is only possible on a PC and that is overclocking the mouse beyond what any console or windows registry changes can do, I have a modded mouse overclocking driver that moves the mouse (claw) faster than any other method can, actually it would be more accurate to call it a modded underclocking mouse diver (underclocking in Mhz actually makes the mouse move faster), It can underclock just one mouse and not have any effect on any other mice hooked up the PC otherwise the normal mouse you use in windows would be unusable because it would move way too fast...

Remember I'm only talking about Tempest 4000...

Edited by Tempest Nut

I was 14, and I recorded my high scores in a 'how to win at videogames' book:

tempest         114 725            10 min           level 13
robotron 2084  4 332 125           3-4 hours       wave 142
The robotron 2084 score was done on easy settings, like extras every 20k instead of 25k.

Nowadays i can barely hit 1 million, but that's because all the emulated xbox versions are super fast

compared to the slower arcade version.

You were 14 when you played Tempest in the arcade and gave up because it was too hard? Why would you record that "in a 'how to win at videogames' book" ?

Back in the Robotron heydays my buddy and I were in the top ten from what we could gather from the video game magazines at the time, There was no Internet back then...

We went back and forth a bunch of times pushing each other trying to get a higher score than each other, A few times I caught him going the local arcade to practice without me! Not cool because he was my ride! lol There were some def hard feeling over that!

Edited by Tempest Nut