IGNORED

Definitive 7800 composite mod guide?

VicViper

I've modded a few 7800's using this extremely clear guide and the results have been excellent. Need to pay attention to what you're reading though as there are instructions for PAL machines also.

[Removed link, as domain now directs to a malicious website - Albert, 2023-09-18]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just used this guide to mod my new 7800. After some TLC shes up and running but had too much RF interference. had an old 2600 av mod pcb laying around so I just used that with a 3904 transistor a 2.2k resistor for the power coming into the transistor and a 3.3k resistor. Decided not to do stereo and alter the case so I put the av out in the RF out and channel switchs place.

post-61918-0-34334800-1505704786_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-33010800-1505704907_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have had three 2600s and one 7800 modded by the nice fellow at.....

http://electronicsentimentalities.com/

Now, I know he wasn't the cheapest, and I think he used the "Longhorn" mod, but he did exquisite work, and you got S-video. S-video still means a lot to me, on whatever classic consoles could produce it. I also liked how for an extra $10 (or so??) he would go through the rest of the console and correct quickly-fixed "common issues." I am quite satisfied with his work!!!

However, I hadn't visited his site in a good while, and when I went back there just now......

I've had to put my hobby business on hold. Everything should be out of stock. I've become a cancer caregiver. My wife was diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoma in January 2017. She is also a ovarian cancer survivor. The ovarian cancer fight was in 2007. Prayers and well wishes welcome. I hope to get back to my Atari work after this battle with Lymphoma.

How sad! I can't remember the fellow's name at the moment, only that he was a great guy to deal with, reliable as the day is long, and I thoroughly enjoy his work. Best wishes to his wife, to him, and the rest of the family. I would not hesitate to have him do more mods in the future, if he can. :(

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Atari 7800 I originally did the Composite Mod and then today I updated that to the S-Video Mod (Longhorn).

Since I ran them both through a RetoTink2X I did not really notice a big difference.

However; the audio from either mod seems to be a bit "hot" as in really loud.

I run them through a mixer so I can level it down and not blow out downstream electronics etc.

Has anyone else noticed this with the Atari 7800?  Thinking of putting voltage divider network on the audio out to get it down to reasonable.

20191026_144605.jpg

7 hours ago, Mitch said:

UAV is the best one currently available.

Mitch

I can second the recommendation of the UAV. @Bryan has licensed production and sale of the boards to @MacRorie and his shop, The Brewing Academy. I have one of them in my daily driver 7800 and it's just fantastic. Community member @-^CrossBow^- has produced a wonderful PDF installation guide. Pretty sure a search will turn it right up. I used that guide for my own installation. I'm very happy with plain old composite; S-video would be sharper I don't want to bother fitting a mini-DIN jack to my 7800. 

(Please excuse the rat's nest - this is before I tidied things up into a proper wiring loom and affixed the board more neatly).

IMG_1560 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1568 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Even on a modern (2013) Samsung flatscreen LED, composite looks great. 

IMG_1600.JPG

• 8 months later...

I had Yurkie do a composite mod for me years ago.  I'm not positive which one he used.  With a game like Rikki Vikki I noticed the colors are really screwed up.  Why is the water green and not blue?  I tried adjusted the POT to no help.  Also, the picture just looks all around like garbage.  I have another unmodded 7800 which has perfect colors via RF!  Is this something that can be corrected?

20200731-144026.jpg

Edited by Greg2600

• 4 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:43 PM, DrVenkman said:

I can second the recommendation of the UAV. @Bryan has licensed production and sale of the boards to @MacRorie and his shop, The Brewing Academy. I have one of them in my daily driver 7800 and it's just fantastic. Community member @-^CrossBow^- has produced a wonderful PDF installation guide. Pretty sure a search will turn it right up. I used that guide for my own installation. I'm very happy with plain old composite; S-video would be sharper I don't want to bother fitting a mini-DIN jack to my 7800. 

(Please excuse the rat's nest - this is before I tidied things up into a proper wiring loom and affixed the board more neatly).

IMG_1560 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1568 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Even on a modern (2013) Samsung flatscreen LED, composite looks great. 

IMG_1600.JPG

Hello

i just sent a message to is it the brewing company? 

but i wondered if i could ask you:

should i get the basic or kit version of the mod? 

i have an atari 7800 i want to mod. 

i have a modded 2600 i bought off ebay modded for composite, i use it with a small 8 inch sony crt. But i love it

but i do notice with scores and words my crt is hard to read. I use it for ota tv with a convertor box and words are hard to read. 

but overall my modded 2600 looks good on it

but i noticed your screen shots look really good. But anyway 2 questions:

1. i have an electronics guy to mod it for me. But should i get the basic or kit? I will be using a atari 7800 and a small sony crt

2. anythoughts on using a crt? I use a crt but maybe words and numbers on scores being slighly blurred hard to read is something i have to deal with. And overall im happy with my composite modded 2600 and crt. I bought the homebrew pacman 4k and love it

any thoughts or help would be appreciated

your screen shots look really good btw

7 minutes ago, James app-2008 said:

any thoughts or help would be appreciated

For a 7800 installation, you’ll want a bare board and wire up the input and output signals directly to the UAV board. As for using a CRT, well, that’s the way I prefer to play my retro-consoles whenever possible.

Yeap as @DrVenkman stated want the basic kit as you will still have to solder in the wires from the UAV to the required points along the resistors above the Maria IC. That way you also can place the UAV pretty much where ever convenient. 

On 7/31/2020 at 2:55 PM, Greg2600 said:

I had Yurkie do a composite mod for me years ago.  I'm not positive which one he used.  With a game like Rikki Vikki I noticed the colors are really screwed up.  Why is the water green and not blue?  I tried adjusted the POT to no help.  Also, the picture just looks all around like garbage.  I have another unmodded 7800 which has perfect colors via RF!  Is this something that can be corrected?

20200731-144026.jpg

put a UAV mod in it.

Yurkie used the Longhorn/Electronic Sentimentalities mod which was extremely unreliable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

put a UAV mod in it.

Yurkie used the Longhorn/Electronic Sentimentalities mod which was extremely unreliable.

That is my eventual goal, yes, either on this one or another console, to UAV S-Video.  Information I've glomed so far is even the UAV could be susceptible on composite but S-Video was rock solid.

I normally have my friend Leo at Digital Press (Springfield, NJ) do my mods and he's been backed up the wazoo plus I've been sidetracked quite a bit. 

Edited by Greg2600

That is my eventual goal, yes, either on this one or another console, to UAV S-Video.  Information I've glomed so far is even the UAV could be susceptible on composite but S-Video was rock solid.

I normally have my friend Leo at Digital Press (Springfield, NJ) do my mods and he's been backed up the wazoo plus I've been sidetracked quite a bit. 

Yurkie is supposedly doing a component mod for me right now, but I haven’t heard from him since early November last year. Hopefully he or my console show up sometime.

47 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

Yurkie is supposedly doing a component mod for me right now, but I haven’t heard from him since early November last year. Hopefully he or my console show up sometime.

Yeesh, wasn't it a few years ago that he bailed on people here, causing quite a stir?

• Like 1