IGNORED

The Official Nintendo Gamecube Thread

Tanooki

Wait what there is a Gamecube thread? You already know what I am going to say, but I will say it anyway:

Go play Rogue Squadron II.

How is it that this thread has existed since 2017 and nobody has even mentioned this game until now even though it's both the best game on the system AND exclusive to the system? Well, no longer. Go play it RIGHT NOW because it's awesome!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 7

I totally skipped the N64 when it was out (opted for the PS1 instead) but settled back into the Nintendo universe with the GameCube. Rogue Squadron II was my first game for it and seeing the video clips from the films playing on the title screen was really impressive. The gameplay was really good and challenging but felt more arcade-y after playing (and preferring) the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer game style. There was a while when the Gamecube (coupled with the Gameboy Player) was the sole console that could play every Zelda game from the original to Minish Cap so that was neat. Windwaker was, and still is, pretty amazing and a lot of fun. Then there was Metroid Prime, which pretty much sealed the deal that the GameCube was my favorite console of that generation, hands down. PS2 was pretty great, but Metroid Prime is *chef's kiss* to me. So yeah, still have my GameCube and still love it.

• Like 1

I felt that way about it too on those old TVs back then about Rogue Squadron II it was nuts.  It was overall nice, but it did due to the insane detail they put in get washed out moments or sometimes the classic dancing rainbow scatter a CRT would get (often on tv with very small black/white checkerboard type patterned clothes.  The fan blades on the speeders on the Hoth stage do it badly.  I never realized how good that digital port on the original cube model was with a pure digital feed from the graphics output of the system.  I have an external HDMI kit now, you really have no idea how amazing and forward thinking the Gamecube was until you have that.  Those movie models really do pop.  Those blades, they're all individual moving pieces that turn depending on your direction of the speeder, and x-wings like in the opening of stage 1 you see rivets, scorch marks, seams, the pilots face, etc... it's nuts.

Metroid Prime is another amazing stand out, and I'm only bringing that up as I just cracked into the remaster and I'm probably 2/3 into the chozo ruins (just got bombs, charge shot, 10 missiles now.)  The detail is really cranked up a lot, yet despite the high attention of redrawn detail it's not like something that'll reach out and stun you perhaps because the original was very sharp.  THey went and added more detail, more water, more greenery, more this and that to what was there to make it worth the reduced $40 cost.  They went all out like Dead Space's remaster, not minimalist HDMI boost/cleanup that compared(GC here) Mario Sunshine got.

• Like 1

Talking about hidden gems, or just plainly forgotten ones, just started playing Metal Arms: Glitch in the System again, probably been around 10 years since the last time. Still as good as I remembered. Quirky setting and foul-mouthed fun attitude with nice set pieces wrapped around a really well designed 3rd person action shooter/adventure. 

I believe a sequal was in the works but then the publisher went under and the small developer got swallowed up by Activision and the IP has been locked up ever since. A real shame. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Talking about hidden gems, or just plainly forgotten ones, just started playing Metal Arms: Glitch in the System again, probably been around 10 years since the last time. Still as good as I remembered. Quirky setting and foul-mouthed fun attitude with nice set pieces wrapped around a really well designed 3rd person action shooter/adventure. 

I believe a sequal was in the works but then the publisher went under and the small developer got swallowed up by Activision and the IP has been locked up ever since. A real shame. 

Thanks, I was thinking about it too. The multiplayer was fantastic with tons of vehicles and every arena outside, contrary to Halo's.

I am going to be honest on Radiata Stories by saying that it is one of those games that felt like it belonged on the GameCube instead of the PS2. Of course, it still wouldn't fix the directionless story, lack of towns outside of the two, the glut of characters, etc., but having proper four-player battles.

Hey I missed this thread. I've always liked the Gamecube.. but it sucks because last I tried mine, it seemed the disk drive was dying where it wouldn't spin at all until the GC had "warmed up" or something. Basically it will work after being on about 10-15 minutes or so, but it obviously isn't long for the world. 

Anyway I was pretty annoyed about it, wondering what type of alternate (ODE) or repairs could possibly be done to play the games. But! Then someone mentioned "Just use your Wii??". I totally forgot the Wii can play GC disks lol  So now the GC repair idea has kind of been put on the backburner :lol: 

• Haha 1

Might not need a fix as much as just adjusting the laser if you're capable of that as those pots can be finicky.  Cracking it open is easy, and replacement lasers can just be snapped/screwed into place.  GC is superior than wii-gc especially if that system has the digital port in the rear.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:28 AM, SlidellMan said:

I'm going to say this about Eternal Darkness: best Survival Horror game I have ever played.

Can't say you are wrong. Even though the GC library is a bit thin on some places, it does have magnificent exclusives that you just can't get elsewhere. 

Just recently watched this excellent 2-hour analysis & retrospective:

• Like 2

My brother was my hookup for the Cube. He had got me the system, broadband modem, and the GB player. When Nintendo did their GC tour, we went to the Chicago stop. That was pretty cool to be at and play some of the games. The first game I completed was Metroid Prime. I have Prime 2, but I don't think I sat down and dug into it. I do remember kind of being bummed that you couldn't transfer your DC PSO character(s) to GC. 😆 Starting over wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. The last thing my brother did GC-wise was the region mod that let you play Japanese games via a toggle switch. I snagged a JP copy of Melee for $25 shipped. At that time, that was roughly half of what I was seeing US copies go for. 

You know I realized I don't think I mentioned it, but I guess it's two weeks ago now but I came across an immaculate copy of The Simpsons Hit and Run, and at the louisville arcade expo I got a decent deal on Sonic Gems Collection as well, both origina release copies.  I've owned Sonic before so it was a return (just need DX and Mega back.)  Simspons though I've read, seen (not video watch), and heard so many positive comments before so I when I saw it, and thankfully a bit undervalued too, I grabbed it fast.  The game shocked me just how well to encompasses the town of Springfield, characters, and jokes of the peak Simpsons era of the 90s before it kind of got watered down, a bit santized, played out, and samey as it just has been on going ever since.  The game handled amazing, this weird bastardized hybrid of crazy taxi and gta3 really and works it like it was always meant to be.

• Like 4

Simpsons Hit & Run is a really good game. I just recently completed it. 

I echo the words of Tanooki for the most part, though it was a bit disappointing that the 3 slices of the city are recycled a few times with different characters. And the missions get a bit samey over time. But these are nitpicks in the big scheme as it is a very enjoyable experience. One thing I would also like to add is that the 4-player supported Super Off Road-esque minigame was also surprisingly fun. 

I got my copy before christmas through UK ebay at a fair price (though the lads now wanted toll fees because the don't want to play with the rest of us anymore.) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Xeno Crisis will be available for pre-orders for the Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo 64. WOW!! 

It's April Fool's Day, but this is no joke - Xeno Crisis is coming to both the Nintendo 64 and GameCube! We also have the Final Vendetta OST available in an awesome gatefold double vinyl! Shipping starts in 3 to 4 weeks, so get your pre-order in now! https://shop.bitmapbureau.com

North America/Latin Amercia Version

GCstandardcasemockupNTSC_1.jpg?v=1680368900

GCstandardcasemockupbackNTSC.jpg?v=1680368900

GCdiskmockupNTSC_1.jpg?v=1680368900

European Version

GCstandardcasemockupPAL.jpg?v=1680368900

GCstandardcasemockupbackPAL.jpg?v=1680368900

GCdiskmockupPAL.jpg?v=1680368900

Japanese Version

GCstandardcasemockupJP.jpg?v=1680368900

GCstandardcasemockupbackJP.jpg?v=1680368846

GCdiskmockupJP.jpg?v=1680368900

Xeno Crisis GameCube ROM

iso_gamecube.png?v=1680369266

Anthony...

Edited by Charlie Cat

I mean it's nice to see a legit GC disc being done, but did it have to be this game? :(  I picked it up on the evercade when I had one and it was just not very fun.  I mean I did like smash tv, total carnage, gauntlet type stuff over time but this one just seemed more loaded with cheapshots than a quarter muncher and weird quirks.

I'm hoping it does well enough to get better games put on the hardware, that would be something at least.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I mean it's nice to see a legit GC disc being done, but did it have to be this game? :(  I picked it up on the evercade when I had one and it was just not very fun.  I mean I did like smash tv, total carnage, gauntlet type stuff over time but this one just seemed more loaded with cheapshots than a quarter muncher and weird quirks.

I'm hoping it does well enough to get better games put on the hardware, that would be something at least.

It’s not really a legit disc as it won’t play on a stock system. My GameCube is stock so this isn’t for me

• Like 1
  • Confused 2