IGNORED

Zippy the Porcupine Binary Released!

Albert

I need to get this, of course with a box. I missed princess rescue and only get to emulate that, I'd love a real cart.

What's next on the agenda? Got a Nintendo side scroller, now a Sega one. Time for an Atari one! Junk yard dog :P (who else had a side scroller mascot character? Maybe gex 3do?)

LOL! You and a few hundred others of us too!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, Nintendo laid a big dookie on AtariAge after ign posted their review for "Super Mario Bros 2600" which kinda went viral. Sales were suspended for Princess Rescue about a week after the video aired.

https://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/21/ign-plays-princess-rescue-a-super-mario-bros-clone-for-the-atari-2600

• 5 weeks later...

Heck yeah, I'd buy it. There was (on gba) a side scrolling spyro game too. How about gex? And of course an Atari scroller like junkyard dog.

Are the GBA Spyro games any good? I heard there was a 2-in-1 of Spyro Season of Ice / Season of Fire. then there is Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning...

I think all 3 are pretty good on the GBA just played a few minutes of each I liked em and I really like the 3 on PS1

Reason I got a PS1 not original but years after there releases

As for Zippy Love the game I do hope it doesn't get same result as Princess Resc. I already have the boxed version but want to see others be able to get it

• Like 1

I think all 3 are pretty good on the GBA just played a few minutes of each I liked em and I really like the 3 on PS1

Reason I got a PS1 not original but years after there releases

As for Zippy Love the game I do hope it doesn't get same result as Princess Resc. I already have the boxed version but want to see others be able to get it

Zippy and Princess Rescue are unique platformers for sure. The physics isn't quite right for either but they are definitely fun to play. Zippy is quite hard as well. I've beaten Princess Rescue, but never beaten Eggman on Zippy. I think I made it to one boss fight once. I also collected a couple emeralds in the bonus areas above the stage. The random element does add replay value though in that you get one of four themed zones each time you start.

Sprybug was supposedly working on an original concept game on not based on demaking corporate IP. There was also talk at one time of recycling the Princess Rescue game by replacing the graphics and sound with non-infringing content, but nothing ever came of it. I suppose someone could hack the Princess Rescue ROM (with permission of course) and alter the offending content.

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 4:23 AM, Kosmic Stardust said:
On 1/2/2018 at 5:13 AM, AW127 said:

Short question here. This game-rom has 64kb and therefore needs a Harmony Encore to work, right? On my normal Harmony, i get the error-message "unrecognized file-type" when i try to load it.

Correct. The original harmony couldn't handle 64kb, which was one reason I regretably opted out of beta testing it.

The Cuttle Cart by Chad Schell could handle 64kb, so does Zippy work with that?

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2017 at 8:34 AM, Albert said:
Chris Spry and AtariAge are happy to make available the final version of the Zippy the Porcupine binaries. You are free to use these binaries to enjoy the game via emulation, or by using flash carts such as the Harmony Cartridge. Building and selling physical copies of Zippy the Porcupine without permission is not permitted.

If you enjoy Zippy the Porcupine and wish to play the game on a real Atari 2600 (or compatible) system, you can help support the homebrew community by purchasing a copy of Zippy the Porcupine in physical form from the AtariAge Store:

Watch for additional games from Chris Spry and AtariAge! We should have an updated demo of Chris' upcoming Robot Zed at the upcoming Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Enjoy!

..Al

ZippyThePorcupine_2600.zip 56.04 kB · 5,445 downloads

When I put the file on my Harmony cart and put it in my 7800 to play, it just says "Unrecognized file type!  Press fire to continue"

How do I play it?  :(

On 2/8/2022 at 8:05 AM, dogeymon said:

When I put the file on my Harmony cart and put it in my 7800 to play, it just says "Unrecognized file type!  Press fire to continue"

Did you extract the bin file to your sd, or did you just move the zip? Inside the zip is a pal and NTSC version.

image.png.e7c3cfe4cc3c14d35f7c0801bd4852ba.png

On 2/8/2022 at 11:05 AM, dogeymon said:

Do you have the regular Harmony or the Encore? You will need an. Encore or an Unocart to play it due to the ROM size.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 5:34 PM, Albert said:
Chris Spry and AtariAge are happy to make available the final version of the Zippy the Porcupine binaries. You are free to use these binaries to enjoy the game via emulation, or by using flash carts such as the Harmony Cartridge. Building and selling physical copies of Zippy the Porcupine without permission is not permitted.

If you enjoy Zippy the Porcupine and wish to play the game on a real Atari 2600 (or compatible) system, you can help support the homebrew community by purchasing a copy of Zippy the Porcupine in physical form from the AtariAge Store:

Watch for additional games from Chris Spry and AtariAge! We should have an updated demo of Chris' upcoming Robot Zed at the upcoming Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Enjoy!

..Al

ZippyThePorcupine_2600.zip 56.04 kB · 6,172 downloads

Hi, i tried out this rom, i tried both pal and ntsc a26 rom versions of it but i got an error massage saying that it cannot recognize those roms,i also tried those 2 bin from both region versions from the other map but if i load those roms i will end up with a glitchy or just a black screen, i also tried both combinations of pal and ntsc with the A26 and bin rom versions of that game to see if it will recognize and accept the game to run,BUT as expected that did not work either, note that i tried them on my harmony cart on a ntsc atari 7800 (in atari 2600 mode obviously)

i redownloaded the rom just in case but no luck,

Did i missed something or did i something wrong or are just games beyond 32K?? mmmm.

19 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Right, the game is 64K and Harmony supports only up to 32K.

Speaking about 64K games,yes we know that those games are NOT compatible with the harmony cart since it only supports 32K of rom,BUT i was thinking what if we update the firmware to accept cluster roms and then moddifie existing 64k,128K 512K games etc,,, by deviding them into chunks of 32K and load one after the other 32K section of them once needed,this way not only could we alsp make larger games compatible but we can also take full advantage of the 32GB of space meaning that we can make or game as large as 32GB,so i see huge huge potential in the harmony cart,and yes there is the harmony encore cart wich does contain 512K of rom,but for people on a lower budget with their harmony cart with only 32K support,such larger cluster chain roms could be handy to get somewhat around that 32K rom limit size?

43 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

Speaking about 64K games,yes we know that those games are NOT compatible with the harmony cart since it only supports 32K of rom,BUT i was thinking what if we update the firmware to accept cluster roms and then moddifie existing 64k,128K 512K games etc,,, by deviding them into chunks of 32K and load one after the other 32K section of them once needed,this way not only could we alsp make larger games compatible but we can also take full advantage of the 32GB of space meaning that we can make or game as large as 32GB,so i see huge huge potential in the harmony cart,and yes there is the harmony encore cart wich does contain 512K of rom,but for people on a lower budget with their harmony cart with only 32K support,such larger cluster chain roms could be handy to get somewhat around that 32K rom limit size?

Easiest way to play this is on real hardware is purchasing a PlusCart - it works well with it (and the cartridge is worth buying it). 

Edit: PlusCart is actually sold out - maybe you can ask @Al_Nafuur when available again.

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 3

Unocart is also great for those who don't have Pluscart or Harmony Encore, in my case. It runs games up to 512k too, the only thing is it doesn't have support for games that use the DPC+ feature, apart from that it runs practically the entire existing Atari library.
I think that in the future Unocart users will migrate to Pluscart, my case too. Because unlike Unocart, Pluscart has been getting constant updates, apart from its extra features and the icing on the cake, which is the internet connection.

P.S

I have Unocart and Harmony Standard 32k cart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Pluscart has been getting constant updates, apart from its extra features and the icing on the cake, which is the internet connection.

Firmware updates for the Unocart using the same codebase as the Pluscart have been released here. You'll need an ST-link programmer to update the first time, though. Subsequent updates can be done through the SD card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ecernosoft said:

Odd, since PR works on my 2600 AND 7800 using the harmony and concerto...

It's mainly because the Flashback 2 is essentially an ASIC on a chip, so it doesn't have 100% compatibility and probably wasn't designed for games past 16K in size.

• Like 1