IGNORED

Help required: Whats wrong with my 800XL?

Lavalamp

Hi, I have recent purchased a 800XL (PAL) and paired it with a SIO2SD external drive, all appears to work fine, expect on a lot of games I'm getting a corrupted sprite, and I'm not sure why, would anyone be able to shed light on what may be causing this? Configuration, software, PAL/NTSC issue, RAM or Antic failure? Note that some games appear to run perfectly. Also passes memory tests fine. :(

I apologize for the poor photos, but you can see the corrupted missile or sprite running vertically down the display, these will follow the player or enemies.

post-61762-0-10699900-1503618939.jpg

post-61762-0-24795800-1503618947.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Guess is bad GTIA based on similar past issues with other machines but hard to be sure without further info. How does it handle something like Joust in the later levels with lots of enemies floating around on-screen at once?

Joust fails immediately with one following the main player, it was one of the first I tried. This also appears straight away with Zaxxon, Gyrus, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Poll Position . However Loadrunner, Hero, Defender, Gallaxian, Starquake, Rampage, ChopperLifter, Dandy all run fine. :?

Edited by Lavalamp

Guess is bad GTIA based on similar past issues with other machines but hard to be sure without further info. How does it handle something like Joust in the later levels with lots of enemies floating around on-screen at once?

Heres a clearer photo of the issue, the issue starts after a number of sprites appear.

File_000.jpeg

Edited by Lavalamp

Looks very much like a GTIA issue. If you have a spare system, do a swap and see how it goes? Otherwise you'll need to track down a spare Best Electronics still sells them.

Thanks I have a second 800XL for parts coming, hopefully this is a socketed GTIA too, or if its working might just swap out the entire motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Now the burning question... does the 'bad' GTIA exhibit the same problem on the other machine you swapped the good one out of? There's a chance of a bad pin contact to the socket, that just reseating would help with.

I had tried re-seating it first, but no go, the donor XL was in poorer shape than I was led to believe, missing its Sally and Pokey chips, and internal shield, did not want to risk my good components in it to test, so not operational. I was lucky that the GTIA and ANTIC were still there. I fitted the faulty GTIA in the donor for now.

Edited by Lavalamp