IGNORED

Looking for some info from the emulation experts here.

RamrodHare

Ten years ago, I had a decent understanding of emulators and what specs were required to run them. Times have changed and I haven't kept up with new technology very well. So, I'd like to ask for help from some of the current emulator users. I have some consoles I'd like to emulate and I have a few different computers availible, but I'm not sure if any of them can do everything I'm interested in. What I'll do is list the consoles I want to emulate, so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

NES

SNES

Genesis

GBA

TG16

PS1

PS2

I know that PS2 is the one that will require the most to run effectively, so if you have a suggestion on what emulator works the best for PS2 and if possible, a rundown of the minimum specs for it, that would be awesome.

I have a desktop computer that I'm sure will run any of them, but I'd like to keep it more portable. So, I'm hoping one of my laptops will do the job.

I also have a tablet, which I'd love to use, but it's very doubtful it has the muscle to do anything newer than the 16 bit consoles.

I don't have the specs for everything availible right now, but If it will help, I can see what they are and post them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help. :-D

Edit: I just found the specs for what seems to be the most popular PS2 emulator and it's even beyond what my desktop computer could handle. Unless there is one out there that doesn't need as much as PCSx2, I'll just have to forget about emulating anything above PS1.

I'd still like recommendations on what people think works the best for the other systems, on Windows and Android.

Like I said, I haven't kept up with emulation in a long time, so I'm guessing a lot has changed. Also, I'm fairly new to Android, so I can use all the help I can get if I'm going to try and use my tablet for anything.

Edited by RamrodHare

Ten years ago, I had a decent understanding of emulators and what specs were required to run them. Times have changed and I haven't kept up with new technology very well. So, I'd like to ask for help from some of the current emulator users. I have some consoles I'd like to emulate and I have a few different computers availible, but I'm not sure if any of them can do everything I'm interested in. What I'll do is list the consoles I want to emulate, so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

NES

SNES

Genesis

GBA

TG16

PS1

PS2

I know that PS2 is the one that will require the most to run effectively, so if you have a suggestion on what emulator works the best for PS2 and if possible, a rundown of the minimum specs for it, that would be awesome.

I have a desktop computer that I'm sure will run any of them, but I'd like to keep it more portable. So, I'm hoping one of my laptops will do the job.

I also have a tablet, which I'd love to use, but it's very doubtful it has the muscle to do anything newer than the 16 bit consoles.

I don't have the specs for everything availible right now, but If it will help, I can see what they are and post them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help. :-D

Edit: I just found the specs for what seems to be the most popular PS2 emulator and it's even beyond what my desktop computer could handle. Unless there is one out there that doesn't need as much as PCSx2, I'll just have to forget about emulating anything above PS1.

I'd still like recommendations on what people think works the best for the other systems, on Windows and Android.

Like I said, I haven't kept up with emulation in a long time, so I'm guessing a lot has changed. Also, I'm fairly new to Android, so I can use all the help I can get if I'm going to try and use my tablet for anything.

MAME is generally good for controller recognition. You can map pretty much any controller your computer recognizes including weird things like dance mats. It has issues sometimes with using a mouse and some file formats. For instance, I found Altirra works much better with the variety of 8 bit Atari computer file formats. I use MAME for 7800, Colecovision and arcade, Stella for 2600, Altirra for 8 bit Atari computers. I think Bee worked better than MAME for Colecovision trackball games like Centipede, but you have to use the keyboard to fire in trackball mode because Bee cannot map the mouse button last I checked, although I put in a request. Bee seems to have trouble recognizing some homebrew rom files for some reason. Honestly, you may find one emulator works with a game that your day- to-day emulator with better features does not.

• Like 1

I've been using Mednafen for almost everything. Needs a front end but runs everything I throw at it.

I like the idea of that one. it covers most of the consoles I'm interested in. What front end are you using?

I'm fairly sure that I'll be using Stella for my 2600 games, if I emulate them. I have 3 consoles and a Harmony Encore.

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop that seems to be powerful enough to run everything except the PS2 emulator, so I may set it up as my emulation machine while I figure everything out. The only downside is it only has 512Mb of RAM. I thought I had some around here I could put in it, but I haven't found it yet.

I know the desktop computer I built would be better, but it's not portable at all.

I've also been reading up on what the PS3 is capable of, after doing after soft modding and it looks like it might be the best option I have.

I was putting off modding my PS3, but I haven't played anything on it in probably a year now, so modding it and adding emulators would give it a purpose again.

I'm mainly just trying to get by without having to invest any more cash into hardware, that's why I hadn't thought much about a Pi machine, even though they seem to be relatively cheap and very portable. I'm trying to read up on everything and get familiar with stuff again, but there's just so much out there now.

• 4 months later...

This thread is a little old, but I thought it might be best to revive it than to start another one that would be almost identical.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a newer version of Stella, ported to the Android.

The one that's availible doesn't support some games and I didn't know if there was a better version floating around that I hadn't found or not.